Courtney Hicks | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Courtney Hicks

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Beats me but if I were to guess I would say it would be the frame at the end of the skates where your toes go. The hard area that protects them . Imagine a high heel sandal and my guess is it's the part your toes go into one of those only with skates it's a full boot. Does that even make sense and am I even close to being right? Maybe someone else knows.

I could see how if that area were to collapse it could affect multiple aspects of skating. But on top of it...hmmm. To me that sounds like the area right by where the laces begin.

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
Good luck to Courtney tomorrow at NHK! :cheer: I'll be rooting for her to put 2 clean programs together!

LRK

Record Breaker
Congratulations, Courtney, on doing so well and getting a new PB!:)

tulosai

Record Breaker
:clapper: Very happy for her! The judges do seem to like her too, which is always a good thing!

LRK

Record Breaker
Just checked the results and... Courtney still in second! That's so cool! Well done Courtney!:)

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Courtney got my attention recently (SP COC) and I really like her athletic style. She's exciting to watch, her skating skills and her spins are certainly very good. 2nd at NHK is great! :clap:

witcher

Match Penalty
Congratulations for silver medal and winning over US champion in direct battle! :shocked::clap:
Wow! :thumbsup:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Many congrats for Courtney for her first GP podium finish at NHK Trophy this weekend! :points: am over the moon for her. :clap:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Congrats to Courtney! She's been my favorite senior US lady for at least a couple seasons now. :thumbsup:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I am so thrilled for Courtney earning her silver medal against such an insanely packed field! What a statement headed into US Nationals! I hope she gets one of the three US spots for Worlds!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Rohene Ward gives Courtney a shoutout in this brief Q&A on him for a Minneapolis-based magazine: http://www.lavendermagazine.com/our-scene/rohene-ward-from-competitor-to-performer-to-coach/

What is your process like when you’re creating a new piece?
RW: My process for my own students is — because I know how they skate and move, what they do well and don’t do well — I start by listening to music. Just sitting at home listening to music that has something different and highlights something that they do well, and doesn’t disguise what they don’t do well, which is opposite of what a lot of choreographers do. When I was choreographing for Courtney Hicks, I needed to create something that would show off how strong and powerful and regal she is, and make her look beautiful. It’s about highlighting qualities instead of hiding flaws. I don’t understand why everyone does that. It’s difficult to hide a flaw when you’re having them do a flaw. Might as well have them do what they do well, and then everything is a highlight. When I’m creating a new piece, I hear the music first, and if a skater pops into my head when I hear the music, then I know it’s for them. And then I start seeing colors and shapes and go from there. And then we get on the ice and start playing and having fun.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
What a great article! How nice that Rohene does his choreo to accentuate strengths rather than hide flaws. And that he sees Courtney as regal :)

I was also interested to see that not being able to see the audience due to show lighting was a plus for Rohene. Perhaps bad eyesight can be a plus for skaters.

tulosai

Record Breaker
What a great article! How nice that Rohene does his choreo to accentuate strengths rather than hide flaws. And that he sees Courtney as regal :)

I was also interested to see that not being able to see the audience due to show lighting was a plus for Rohene. Perhaps bad eyesight can be a plus for skaters.

I agree, what a great philosophy to have as a choreographer!

LRK

Record Breaker
Is the ladies' SP tomorrow? Go, Courtney! I do so hope she will do well here.

LRK

Record Breaker
Oh Courtney.... I haven't watched yet, but I understand 2 falls? I suppose that's any chance of a Worlds' spot - which I was hoping for - gone. But I still hope she goes out there and skates a blinder of an LP. Come on, Courtney! You know you can do it!

tulosai

Record Breaker
Oh Courtney.... I haven't watched yet, but I understand 2 falls? I suppose that's any chance of a Worlds' spot - which I was hoping for - gone. But I still hope she goes out there and skates a blinder of an LP. Come on, Courtney! You know you can do it!

I recommend not watching. Not just Courtney but really any of the skates- it was a highly depressing competition. I do hope Courtney will at least be able to pull up to a top 5 finish- that should be doable for her and then she may get 4CCs :)