Watched CBC coverage Sat. & Sun.... | Golden Skate

Watched CBC coverage Sat. & Sun....

rain

Record Breaker
I thought I'd start this thread for everyone who watched the CBC coverage of Four Continents last weekend....open to your thoughts-here are some of mine:

All-round the competition was a bit of a splatfest. Tons of errors in mens, ladies and pairs, and even noticeable (to the untrained eye) errors in the top dances. I was sort of disappointed in the general calibre of performance.

Ladies: Cynthia Phaneuf! Woo hoo! I thought for sure after the short program she was going to have a clunker of an international senior debut, but boy did she lift my spirits with her freeskate. Clearly the best of the night. And to come all the way up from 8th to win the silver medal - I'm officially impressed. I thought she skated a better freeskate here than at nationals. I can't wait for her to be in seniors for the whole season next year.

I've loved Ota since I saw her short program this year at Skate Canada and I'm really pleased for her that she won. She had a glitch or two but overall she is a beautiful, expressive skater.

Angela Nikodinov - disappointment. She's always been one of my favorites, but clearly she had a terrible skate. She just seemed to give up and double everything. I hope next season she gets the competitive fire back.

Amber Corwin - again, the mistakes - but she also lost a lot of her performance quality. I can see why she didn't do so hot in the Grand Prix this season if she underrotates her jumps so badly on a regular basis - they really dinged skaters for that under COP.

Joannie Rochette - not a total disaster, but not the skate I wanted to see. I hope she has that at worlds. She clearly has no confidence in the lutz - as Paul Martini stated in his commentary. She approaches it like she knows she's going to fall - no surprise that she does. It's odd because the rest of her jumps are gorgeous and high, she can clearly get the power she needs - it's a mental block.

Jennifer Robinson - she's just so darned slow. I hope she retires from eligible competition after worlds. She's not going to improve at this point and she doesn't have what it takes to compete with the young up and comers.

Mens:

I love Jeff Buttle, I really do, but there is no way he should have won the gold medal with the skate he put down. He didn't even seem to think so judging by his reaction afterwards. Nice for him to go out on a high note, but I hope he plans to train, train and train some more so he has a nice, consistent quad for next season.

Emmanuel Sandhu - I thought he should have won the event. While his skate wasn't perfect, I disagreed immensely with the commentators who seemed to deem it a disaster. He landed a fully-rotated quad - not the prettiest landing, but one-foot and rotated, combined with a double loop. Then he landed two triple axels after doubling the initial one - one of them in combination with a triple toe, add his other triples, good spins and footwork and I thought he had the winning skate. I was very encouraged to see him go out, obviously not ON, and make a mistake but not give up - he fought for everything.

The two Americans, Janke and Lysecheck also had good skates - the cleanest of the night, but neither did the quad and one only had the one triple axel. One of them should have had silver, the other should have been third or fourth.

The Japanese guy with the mohawk had a meltdown - ouch. Nice to see him smiling and joking afterwards anyway though.

Pairs:

Both my mother and I thought that the Zhangs were clearly the best of the freeskates and should have won the title. Chalk another one up to the 6.0 system I guess.

Pang and Tong were lovely as well, but I didn't think that, on the night they had the performance quality to beat their countrymen.

Marcoux and Buntin - not the thrilling skate I would have liked to see, but a solid bronze. I hope they take this new confidence into worlds.

Langlois and Archetto - I was very disappointed in their skate. In the realm of speculation, I wonder if something is off with their training. Even the beginning of the season - in spite of two of the best programs in the world field this year - they haven't looked as good as they did last year. The GPF, where I thought they should have finished in 3rd, was one of their better skates. At Canadians and again here they just looked really off. I so want them to do well at worlds, so I hope they sort things out.

Dance:

I thought everyone pretty much finished in the right spots. Neither Dubreuil and Lauzon, nor the American pair really came out and won it, and it was a split panel at the end, with the nod going to the Americans. I was happy to see Wing and Lowe make the podium - I thought they did, presentation wise, have the best skate of the night.

Spark

Rinkside
Well, the interim judging system can clearly work out to be a mess, and I think that's what we saw in the men's event. I would have liked to see Buttle win one, since he doesn't get to go to the worlds, but not the way he did. Emanuel's performance was definitely not what he'd put down in his last two competitions, so maybe the commentators expected more from him. Still, I agree that he had the best skate of the night. Not a disaster, and no one tonight could do better.

I actually agreed with the decision in the pairs event. I would have had Pang and Tong first on the strength of their presentation. The Zhangs are fast and powerful, but I didn't think they did as much with the music. As for the Canadian teams, Marcoux and Buntin performed very well musically and had a lot of energy. Too bad about the two slipups, because the rest of their skating was great. L&A did look very "off". What concerns me is that they've been making mistakes on elements lately that have never been problematic for them. Plenty of pairs miss throws and jumps when they have an "off night" but L&A have been making mistakes on some of their stronger or more consistent elements at nationals and here: loss of unison on SBS spins in both programs here, a stumble during the footwork at nats, awkward landings on lifts and twists. I don't know what's going on, but I hope they fixed it.

I also think it's time for Robinson to retire. She did skate reasonably well, but I don't know if that's good enough anymore for a top ten finish at worlds. Hopefully she'll hold it together in the short program there, because there is a good chance Joannie will have a major mistake on her lutz. Sigh, Joannie and the lutz. That attempt in the long was just not anywhere near what she needed to land it. People who've watched her practice it say she lands it the majority of the time there, so I disagree with Paul Martini's comment that she should take it out of her program. She's a strong and powerful skater, so I'm sure she has the physical ability to do it, and I don't see any way she can get over the mental block if she never even attempts it.

Cynthia was wonderful in the long. She's got a style of her own and I love it. And those jumps aren't bad either. I figured she would rebound after the short, because she doesn't seem to be the kind of skater who falls apart after a mistake, but I never would have thought she'd perform as well as she did. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this new young talent in the ladies' division in Canada.

Verbalgirl77

On the Ice
The two Americans, Janke and Lysecheck also had good skates - the cleanest of the night, but neither did the quad and one only had the one triple axel. One of them should have had silver, the other should have been third or fourth.

Both did triple axels. Evan did 2 and Ryan did one.

rain

Record Breaker
Verbalgirl77 said:
Both did triple axels. Evan did 2 and Ryan did one.

Sorry if I was unclear. What I meant was one of them did two triple axels, and the other performed one. I don't think we're in disagreement on that.

Verbalgirl77

On the Ice
rain said:
Sorry if I was unclear. What I meant was one of them did two triple axels, and the other performed one. I don't think we're in disagreement on that.

LOL - somewhere in the "one's" and "only's" I read a "none." :laugh:

My dyslexic mind apologizes.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
rain:

I enjoyed CBC's coverage. I agree with most of your comments.

I think Jennifer should move on after this season. Our ladies coming up are going to "leave her in the dust" next season.

As for Jeff - He is my favorite skater at the moment and I too hope he gets his technical elements back on par. This season has been really rough on him. Still, I love his program the best and I think he has the best choreography and music of all the male skaters.

Emanuel - Well, he skated more like the "old" Emanuel at this one. He amazed everyone at Canadians and GPF and seemed to come apart at this competition. I think that is why Paul was so harsh in his comments. We were expecting the "new" Emanuel to come out of the starting gate. Oh well, lets hope he does not experience "melt down" at the Worlds.

Cynthia was awesome. What a great debut for our new ladies champion!!

Thanks for the comments.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Ladskater said:
I think Jennifer should move on after this season. Our ladies coming up are going to "leave her in the dust" next season.
That's what plenty of people thought last season, but if it wasn't for Robinson, Canada would have only one Ladies' spot this year. Robinson is still respected enough by international judges to have gotten a big gift in her qualifying round last year, which placed her in good stead for 9th place finish. She had enough international judges give her the benefit of the doubt in both her LP and SP's at 4C's to end in fourth. If Rochette doesn't come close to top 10 at Dortmund, and Robinson does, I wouldn't write her off for next year; her "job" will be to earn two places for Canada for the Olympic year.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Hockeyfan228:

I did not mean to sound harsh towards Jennifer; I have been a big fan of hers for many years and have appreciated her contributions to Skate Canada. Yes, she has kept Canada on the World birth for quite sometime in the ladies. It's quite a job for one person!!! She certainly gets my respect.

I just feel this season she is looking a little "out of step", but who knows she always amazes me how she can "pull it together" when it counts. She is a good competitor and is not afraid to take on the American and Japanese girls!

Go Jen!!!

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Ladskater said:
Hockeyfan228:

I did not mean to sound harsh towards Jennifer; I have been a big fan of hers for many years and have appreciated her contributions to Skate Canada. Yes, she has kept Canada on the World birth for quite sometime in the ladies. It's quite a job for one person!!! She certainly gets my respect.
In her interviews and the "Calling All Canadians" Q&A, Robinson seemed fully committed to the future of Ladies skating in Canada. I think she'll be ready to step down when all of the ducks are in a row, and there is at least one other skater who can shoulder the burden. She seemed to be looking forward to a future of coaching kids, skating professionally -- she was just lovely in Skate the Nation -- and broadcasting. (Maybe she can team up with Underhill, and leave Martini to do the fluff pieces.)

Spark

Rinkside
I agree with Ladskater: I think next year the up-and-comers in Canadian skating will be even stronger and ready to take on the world. And Robinson's skating has definitely stagnated, if not regressed, since the SLC Olympics. IIRC, Robinson's strong result in the QR at worlds was a result of very uneven qualifying groups. If Robinson were in the other group she would not have finished so high. I think it's just ridiculous to count the QR toward the final rankings, since the groups are often uneven. :mad: Though I was pretty happy about this particular result. ;)

Anyway, I would be interested in seeing what kind of commentator Jen would make. I agree that she is very good on the air. She is articulate, upbeat and has a pleasant voice.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Spark said:
And Robinson's skating has definitely stagnated, if not regressed, since the SLC Olympics. IIRC, Robinson's strong result in the QR at worlds was a result of very uneven qualifying groups.
However, the judges kept Robinson high enough in the standings in the SP and LP (9th both times) to ensure a top-10 finish. I think she was held up in all three skates. Considering the superior quality of Rochette's skating and the elements she landed, her 16th in SP and 19th in the LP were too low, in my opinion, yet the judges gave the benefit of the doubt to Robinson. Robinson didn't fold, although Rochette was the highly publicized newcomer. That's what makes Robinson valuable to the Ladies' team.

If Robinson were in the other group she would not have finished so high.
I would say the same for Suguri. The quirk in '03 qualifying was that Slutskaya didn't skate in DC, which put Suguri at the top of group B, and Sokolova and Hughes, two of the top six skaters, weren't ranked from '02 Worlds, but were assigned in alternating alphabetical order to group A.

There was a link to an article posted on FS Universe (in Russian) regarding Volchkova; there was no translation, but the poster summarized the content by saying that Piseev is going to take at look at Volchkova, now that's she's training in Kudriatsev's camp under Kudriatsev's wife, and that he could yet appoint her to the World team. (I'm assuming that this would also depend on Basova's, Oblasova's, and Sokolova's performances at Euros, as well.)

These should be the top skaters in the quali groups, if Volchkova isn't appointed:

Group A
Kwan
Suguri
Liashenko
Robinson
Drei
Lautowa
Rochette
Fang

Group B
Sokolova
Cohen
Arakawa
Kostner
Sebestyen
Maniachenko
Meier
Kopac

If Volchkova is appointed, the top skaters in the quali groups should be:

Group A
Kwan
Suguri
Volchkova
Arakawa
Kostner
Sebestyen
Maniachenko
Meier
Kopac

Group A
Sokolova
Cohen
Liashenko
Robinson
Drei
Lautowa
Rochette
Fang

Verbalgirl77

On the Ice
Wow, I'm not sure about Joannie's LP placement being too low. She had a pretty abysmal performance in the LP.

However she looks GREAT this year and I think she's definitely top 10 material.

shine

Record Breaker
What's with Joannie being so low in her QR, even behind Drei and Lautowa? I love Lautowa but she has not been doing well this season since her first win. Joannie's recent results are definitely better than Lautowa's, and landing at least 5 triples in the LP doesn't seem to be too difficult for her anymore.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
shine said:
What's with Joannie being so low in her QR, even behind Drei and Lautowa? I love Lautowa but she has not been doing well this season since her first win. Joannie's recent results are definitely better than Lautowa's, and landing at least 5 triples in the LP doesn't seem to be too difficult for her anymore.
The quali groups are based on last year's Worlds results. The top skater from Worlds '03 who is also skating in Worlds '04 is put in Group A. The next best skater from Worlds '03 who is also skating in Worlds '04 is put in Group B. This continues down the list, until everyone's distributed, then anyone not ranked in Worlds '03 is distributed altenately in alphabetical order. This year they'll skip Volchkova (unless she's appointed to the team after Euros), Hughes, Onda, Nelidina, Giunchi, and anyone else who doesn't qualify for Worlds '04.

At Worlds '03 Rochette was 17th, Lautowa was 15th, and Drei was 12th. My apologies for not noting that Drei still has to qualify. If Poykio gets the lone spot for Finland, the lists change.

shine

Record Breaker
Sorry if I misunderstanding. I assumed the lists you had were how you would rank the skaters in their QRs.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
shine said:
Sorry if I misunderstanding. I assumed the lists you had were how you would rank the skaters in their QRs.
Oh, jeez, no!

On the other hand, reality and my predictions never quite intersect, so these might as well be :)

kimori

Spectator
It would be interesting who would actually be the top canadian women at worlds Joannie has been pretty consistent but her Lutz will be a major problem I think she'f better off leaving the jump till next season! And Jen's flip(I don't even know why she still tries the jump) why not just change her flip to a lutz in the short and try her 3/3 next year if she stays her 3flip would get downgraded anyways and why is her 3lutz combo so late in the program I know she would get higher marks for it but she ends up not doing the combo! But still I would think Jen would come ahead of Joannie unless she gets her lutz!(but I think it would be just 2 or 3 spots seperating the skaters!