Ashley's R&J?! | Golden Skate

Ashley's R&J?!

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Did you REALLY like her new FS?
Because I just watched it and I am :confused::unsure: I expected something completely different, and, let me say, a lot better! The music cuts are a bit strange, and she looked like she was skating to Samson&Delilah with this strange music in the background, there was no real intepretation, no story, just a lot of... confusion! :scowl: I can see why some of the judges gave her 6s... I have really enjoyed her Black Swan and S&D, but this is a complete disappointment...
(And I don't even want to talk about her dress: :disapp: )
What do you think?

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Just watched the youtube. Well, I think this program is not soup yet. I don't mind the music but it is BIG and I doubt if more than 2-3 eligible female skaters out of 100 could pull this off by skating equally BIG. I'm not sure Ashley is one of those skaters. There are some nice choreographic moments, but power skater though she is, I think some of these cuts are almost too overwhelming--maybe the soft/drama passages are offbalanced in favor of too much drama. She looks like she was concentrating on getting the elements and sporadically getting some interpretation in there which is part of the problem but forgiveable this early in the season. However, whether this program can survive in its current form with just more practice on her part, or whether it needs some music/choreo reworks in there, I don't know. I note she did put the 3-3 in there, though the latter looked like a two-footed landing. I'm pretty neutral on the dress, like the color (at least on my screen!) not fond of the bodice, but I think the program is the bigger worry right now.

BlackPack

Medalist
Did you REALLY like her new FS?
Because I just watched it and I am :confused::unsure: I expected something completely different, and, let me say, a lot better! The music cuts are a bit strange, and she looked like she was skating to Samson&Delilah with this strange music in the background, there was no real intepretation, no story, just a lot of... confusion! :scowl: I can see why some of the judges gave her 6s... I have really enjoyed her Black Swan and S&D, but this is a complete disappointment...
(And I don't even want to talk about her dress: :disapp: )
What do you think?

Well, this certainly isn't Sasha Cohen's R&J...

Technically, she looks strong. I haven't closely looked at the results, but there may be a few UR. Otherwise, miles and miles better than last season's Worlds.

Yes, it looks like they haven't finished choreographing the middle section, or rather, most of the sections :eek: But then again, I always found AW programs somewhat empty and meaningless.

LeCygne

Final Flight
Technically she looks really good for this early in the season. Her 3-3 is a lot better than I imagined it would be, so kudos to her. I like the opening of the program and the music cut there, but the middle was very confusing and the step sequence just looked lost... Not sure why they placed it in the middle of nowhere in the program, IMO it would've been much more effective to have the program build up to the Dance of the Knights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBsKplb2E6Q) and have the steps there. I can't believe she didn't even include that music cut at all. I'm all about being original, especially with something as overdone as R&J, but as it is, her music is almost unrecognizable.

LuisRollerArg

On the Ice
I love his program... so much drama!! she isn´t a little princess like Cohen.. she´s fierceness!!! the final is dramatic and dark.. LOVE ASHLEY!!
She was a crazy representing Nina, an opportunist and lujurious ***** as Dalila, and now she is a girl who find dead his boyfriend and suicide!

Eddie Lee

On the Ice
I like!!! Keep it! Tweak it! Looks like a winner to me....No pwetty pwincess for sure! Go for it!

shine

Record Breaker
Well, this certainly isn't Sasha Cohen's R&J...

Technically, she looks strong. I haven't closely looked at the results, but there may be a few UR. Otherwise, miles and miles better than last season's Worlds.

Yes, it looks like they haven't finished choreographing the middle section, or rather, most of the sections :eek: But then again, I always found AW programs somewhat empty and meaningless.

Why would it be anything like Cohen's R&J? It's completely different music.

But if you want a comparison, I think the choreography of Wagner's program is a lot more interesting and complex than Cohen's. I think it has a lot of potential. But I still find Ashley's emoting a little fake and not truly convincing.

thinspread

On the Ice
I think this is a great olympic program for her. It's very dramatic, yes. She's looking good for early season.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I agree with you. I didn't related the music to R&J at all. It is confusing because the general audience would not know what kind of emotion she is supped to project, and throughout the program, I am not sure whether she wants to deliver sadness, struggle or happiness...The whole program is just blah, .and of course, her dress looks very much like a sleep wear

jennyanydots

On the Ice
I liked the dress. I think a higher waistline is good for her because of her long torso and short legs. The program has potential but like S&D, it looks like she's trying too hard. For the me the Prokofiev version of R&J was always difficult to get into because a lot of times there isn't as clear melody and it kind of meanders. I watched the ballet live once and there was only one segment of music that actually stuck in my head. So it's not easy to make an memorable skate out it.

BlackPack

Medalist
I love his program... so much drama!! she isn´t a little princess like Cohen.. she´s fierceness!!! the final is dramatic and dark.. LOVE ASHLEY!!
She was a crazy representing Nina, an opportunist and lujurious ***** as Dalila, and now she is a girl who find dead his boyfriend and suicide!

Uh.... yeah... that was all so obvious by the incredibly detailed choreography and passionate delivery! :laugh:

BlackPack

Medalist
Why would it be anything like Cohen's R&J? It's completely different music.

But if you want a comparison, I think the choreography of Wagner's program is a lot more interesting and complex than Cohen's. I think it has a lot of potential. But I still find Ashley's emoting a little fake and not truly convincing.

Well, Cohen has probably performed the best R&J in ladies IMO. If you don't want comparisons, then don't choose the same themes. In any case, AW has to have more complex choreography as it is far more demanded these days than during Cohen's competitive days. Complexity doesn't always mean better and more effective interpretation.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
It is totally not done or poorly done! This music could only be pulled off by Caro or YuNa. I like the dress, very slimming but wrong color-she did yellow and no one looks good in orangey peach. I think it looks nothing like Juliet would wear-I did not even recog. the music. Oh NO!!!! this is no way an Oly program. Who choreographed this? No Philip Mills for sure.

I say concentrate on a new SP (or go back to her SP two years ago, and bring back black Swan with 3x3.) Does she do 2a, 3t? New Dresses for those great programs. I do not think she'd get dinged for BS. This is not going to do it. I am happy how she skated it so early but this is not the vehicle. She is fighting the big 3 and another 5 for bronze. Time to bring back the crowd pleasing BS. Wow Mills did not do this one, right? So disappointed and I'm a fan.

Oreo

On the Ice
I thought the music was a little too ponderous. There are some other cuts of Prokofiev's R&J that would have helped tell the story better. What's there would be difficult for anybody to interpret.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I thought the music was a little too ponderous. There are some other cuts of Prokofiev's R&J that would have helped tell the story better. What's there would be difficult for anybody to interpret.

I agree re the music cuts. Very heavy and ponderous too much of the time. There should probably have been a little bit more lyricism/beauty/moving music in here. It was Salome like in mood rather than poignant or tragic. I thought Ashley did the best she could on the interpretation.

I do not like the bodice of the dress or the color, and I agree that it doesn't look Juliet-like.

I am not a big fan of this program. :( and I like Ashley a lot.

cinnamon

On the Ice
I actually liked that dress. (Especially right after seeing Mao's new dress... :think:) It's a good color and looks good on her. And the program, we could see there is some drama in it, but how many people will make an effort to understand what Ashley tries to convey? (I'm talking about regular people looking at the performance.) I've noticed there are some good choreo moments in it. Looking forward to its development.