Brief report from the ISI 2003 Annual Conference | Golden Skate

Brief report from the ISI 2003 Annual Conference

• Thread starter Yazmeen42skater
  • Start date
Y

Yazmeen42skater

Brief report from the ISI 2003 Annual Conference

Well, Vegas was a blast, and the conference was quite good, so here are a few highlights.

First of all, let me get a little bragging out of the way. I'm now a certified, ISI Bronze Level Judge!!! I passed my exam last Monday. It was open book, but quite comprehensive and challenging. It really tested your knowledge of what to do in certain situations. For example, I had to analyze how to score a skater who competes a Freestyle program at one level and omits a required jump but puts in a higher level jump instead. They not only receive a "0" score for the omitted required move, but also get a "2.0" penalty score under "additional moves" for putting in the other jump which is from a higher level and higher level skills that are not "uncaptured moves" cannot be done in the program. Overall, it was a good experience.

Onto Scott Hamilton. His opening address was frankly not too great. He seemed to be doing it off the cuff, and it mostly consisted of his standard complaint about pro skating being ruined by the money given to eligible skaters along with eligible skaters who don't "leave" the amateur ranks when they should --we don't have the natural "turnover" that should occur every four years. I really think he holds a grudge against Michelle Kwan for staying eligible (and for not signing onto HIS show). He also is now just endorsing the "principles" of the WSF and "has no argument with the ISU" (well, maybe with a few people in the ISU...geez, can you say "backpedaling?"

His presentation with two other speakers on the ISI Special Skater program was much better. You could really see his dedication to working with physically and mentally challenged skaters and he made many good points. It was an interactive session with everyone contributing as to how to get programs like these rolling at your own rink. We want to get a program going at our main rink. We already have one competitive special skater who is an incredible young woman, and this is such a worthwile effort. I'd urge everyone to get involved with this if you can.

I also attended truly good presentations on judging and ISI testing, and how to fairly analyze a skater's skills. There's a lot of emphasis in ISI on making sure that the skating continues to be "fun" for all participants. You want to penalize appropriately, but you also don't want to discourage the skaters. I had the opportunity to talk to Richard Dwyer (the former "Mr. Debonair" of the Ice Follies) who was ISI's Lifetime Achievement winner this year. He is a delight. The man is absolutely GORGEOUS and very personable. He shared some memories of how he loved to skate with his friend, the late Peanuts' cartoonist Charles Schulz, that were delightful. The man is definitely "Mr. Debonair"--he could charm the socks off of anybody!!!

Overall, it was a good conference, and Vegas was a blast. It was hard to go back to work!!

C

Cinderella On Ice

Re: Brief report from the ISI 2003 Annual Conference

What a totally cool update! Thanks so much for sharing your conference.

Gosh, I remember seeing "Mr. Debonair" when I was a kid and went to the ice shows. It brought back lots of memories, and it was so neat to hear that he's still around AND still charming! I believe I got his autograph on an old program.

Congratulations on your accomplishment! Bronze level, you go, girl! That is so exciting. I am totally admiring you for all that you want to give back to skating. I wish you lots of luck in getting the special program off the ground in your area. Please be sure to keep us posted as to your progress.

Where did you stay in Vegas? And did you leave any money behind?

Y

Yazmeen42skater

We stayed at MGM Grand, which I expected to hate because I loathe big crowded hotels; Instead, I loved it. I don't mind walking (its how I went to buffets and came home two pounds lighter!!!:p ) and the place never felt overcrowded. Plus, the service in all areas was MARVELOUS. Positively Disneyesque. I really have the impression that MGM Grand employees like working there, and it shows in their attitudes. I'm not much of a gambler, just spent a few bucks on slots and electronic blackjack. I prefer to go to shows. We took in George Carlin live, "La Femme", (the showgirl show at MGM Grand which was terrific), and both Cirque Du Soleil shows.

The atmosphere is Vegas is moving back to toward an adult atmosphere. There are many more "Showgirl shows" (read sexy and topless) and the family aspects are disappearing fast because the high rollers voiced their complaints about having so many kids around. MGM has closed their amusement park aside from special parties, and it will be dismantled soon. The "pirate show" at Treasure Island is going to be gone soon, and they're really moving the image of the city back to an adult playground, which is fine with me. I never thought it was an appropriate destination for small children in the first place.

C

Cinderella On Ice

Yaz,

Thanks for sharing your observations about Vegas. I do a lot of meeting planning for the company I work for, and I have found everything you've said to be true. It's weird, because Vegas spent all that money to become more family friendly, and they wound up offending their core clientele. So you are right about the switch back again.

I've never stayed at the MGM Grand but was there in April when we held our meeting at the Green Valley Ranch (off the strip), and I was amazed at all the improvements they have made. Sounds like your trip was a great one and you got a lot out of it, both skating-wise and not.

Again, thanks for sharing. I love to live vicariously!