Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Favorite or least favorite scary movies?

Favorite or least favorite scary movies?

Fav:

Let's Scare Jessica to Death
    When a Stranger Calls
    28 Days Later
    28 Weeks Later (one of the few sequels that works)
    Rosemary's Baby
    Wolfen
    The Others
    Sally
    (the original, not the Katie Holmes remake)
    Burnt Offerings Bette Davis and Oliver Reed. A ghostly driver, a spooky music box and a house that re-juvinates itself.
    Cat People and Curse of the Cat People. Very stylish chillers more than thrillers. Simone Simon was GORGEOUS
    The Ring
    An American Werewolf in London
    House on Haunted Hill. 1958. Vincent Price!
    The Innocents 1961. Seeing the gost on the side of the lake....was she real or wasn't she? Spooky!
    Freaks 1932, Thank you Turner Classic Movie for airing this.
    The Haunting 1963

Least Favorites:

Godzilla 1999 with Matthew Broderick. It was annoying and 'zilla looked like a giant iguana as opposed to a monster.
    Hostel. Shut it off after 40 minutes.
    One Missed Cal
    Fear Dot Com
    White Noise
    Any Friday The 13th beyond the original, The one were Jason awoke on a spaceship in the future was hideous. Just stop already.

I don't do scary movies, but one I "enjoyed" (not sure that's really the word) is "Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte".

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    I think the best scary movies are when the suspense and the threat of violence keep you on the edge of your seat. Not so much of a fan of scary movies where the intent is to frighten from graphic blood slinging.

Example: I know there were some more graphic parts of "Halloween" and "Silence of the Lambs", but the real thrills came when the female leads were just barely eluding the killer.

Everytime I've tried to watch the Exorcist I've fallen asleep. Just not meant to be, haha.

There are some well-received films I want to see but are unavailable/not to be found, such as Suspiria. A remake is being done as I type.

And there is a horror film I saw as a kid nobody can identify--a child was sliding down a staircase banister, slipped off and died. The mother kept her mummified body in a bed. It came out before 1987.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I don't do scary movies, but one I "enjoyed" (not sure that's really the word) is "Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte".
    Like Toni, I don't do scary movies, but one that I did enjoy was The Sixth Sense. What made it work for me was that the characters mattered. I'm not interested in fright all by itself.

I also liked original American version of Godzilla, because it also had a human dimension, in the noble sacrifice of the scientist who figured out how to defeat the monster.

The rest of you can enjoy the other scary movies in the world. I'll leave you plenty of room in the theater.

Custom Title
    I'm with Toni and Olympia on this one. Real life has enough scary stuff. I was terrified by Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein as a child so that should tell you something!

The Eyes of Laura Mars--Faye Dunaway
    The Third Man-Joseph Cotton & Orson Welles

I like suspense but not gore or horror.

Quote Originally Posted by merrywidow View Post

I like suspense but not gore or horror.
    I can't really give much input in this category. I got too scared during certain scenes of Jurassic Park! Ditto for the first 20 minutes of Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves (just couldn't watch it, even though I certainly knew about the violence during the Crusades). Both have great soundtracks, though!

Quote Originally Posted by iluvtodd View Post
    I can't really give much input in this category. I got too scared during certain scenes of Jurassic Park! Ditto for the first 20 minutes of Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves (just couldn't watch it, even though I certainly knew about the violence during the Crusades). Both have great soundtracks, though!
    those are two of my all time favorite movies, Gail!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    those are two of my all time favorite movies, Gail!
    Well, we always knew that you had the soul of an adventurer, Toni!

I have to say, I like Robin Hood as well. (The first part of it I look down at my lap a lot more, though.) I love Morgan Freeman in just about everything, and also that last scene (with a surprise guest Richard the Lionheart) makes me happy every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Well, we always knew that you had the soul of an adventurer, Toni!

I have to say, I like Robin Hood as well. (The first part of it I look down at my lap a lot more, though.) I love Morgan Freeman in just about everything, and also that last scene (with a surprise guest Richard the Lionheart) makes me happy every time.
    Morgan Freeman totally makes that movie work. Gotta love Kostner not having an accent when everyone else does - all because his accent was so horrible the director told him to ditch it!

My favs
    Schindler's list
    Saving Private Ryan
    Gladiator
    Forrest Gump
    Steel Magnolias we watch it at every Xmas
    Casablanca
    West Side story( Natalie Wood)
    Rain Man
    The Backet list
    As good as it gets
    Terms of Endearment
    Titanic
    Bridget Jones's diary
    A streetcar named desire ( Marlon Brando...)
    Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
    Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf
    Shakespeare in Love
    Out of Africa
    The English Patient

I can't enumerate them. I love Woody Allen's movies and of course, I like Robin Hood or the Jurassic Park .

I don't like the horrors, but I like the Sixth sense and the Signs.

It seems I love Hollywood But I like the french movies too. The best movie in 2012 the Intouchables!!!

Custom Title
    I haven't seen The Intouchables yet, but I hear it's great. I love many of the films you cite, Plushyfan, but I must single out The Bucket List because it's less well known than many of the others on your list, and it always makes me happy to watch it. The ending, when you see who has brought the tin up the mountain, makes me tearful every time. The relationship between Jack Nicholson (clearly one of your favorites) and Morgan Freeman (one of my favorites) is sublime. They play off each other so well. I sometimes think that every movie should co-star either Morgan Freeman or Stanley Tucci.

If we're talking about non-horror movies for a bit (we chickens keep hijacking this thread, and we don't apologize!), I recently found that Barbra Streisand's On a Clear Day You Can See Forever is on DVD. This movie is beyond obscure; no one talks about it, and I can't understand why. It's Streisand, looking and sounding wonderful. It's directed by Vincente Minnelli. The sumptuous costumes are by Cecil Beaton. And, to top things off, Jack Nicholson appears in a rather minor role at a time of his life when he was just drop-dead handsome. The one weak part for me was Yves Montand as the lead. He had to sing, and I don't think he pulled it off. Unfortunate that they didn't go with the Broadway lead for this--John Cullum. Did they think he wasn't bankable enough? They had Streisand. Who else did they need? And Montand wasn't that well known in this country anyway. Ah, well. The story is rather whimsical but appealing, I thought, and the songs (especially sung by Streisand) are delightful.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Another chicken, but I will watch thrillers, but not horror shows. In fact, we don't watch a lot of movies

I love the Bucket List!
    Another favorite Jack Nicholson favorite of mine is As Good As It Gets.

In thrillers, Hunt For Red October

In general
    The Caine Mutiny
    Gandhi
    Driving Miss Daisy
    Tom Hanks in That Thing You Do
    Spinal Tap
    My Blue Heaven
    My Cousin Vinnie
    and two that Netflix suggested for me that I hadn't seen advertised elsewhere (I loved both of them)
    Sabah
    The Ramen Girl

Speaking of Jack Nicholson, one of the scariest movies of all time is one he's in: "Batman".... I cannot watch a Nicholson movie without wanting to wet myself because of his portrayal as the Joker (IMO his Joker is way better than Heath Ledger's).

Another terrifying (for me) film is E.T. the guys in the has-mat suits have scared me to tears since I was 5.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast