The skater with the best outfit (s)!! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The skater with the best outfit (s)!!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I really liked Nicole Bobek's outfits from 1995-1998, particularly her ones from 1995. They were glittery yet sophisticated.

Alex D

Record Breaker
That looks like my kind of topic! YA :D

I totally loved:

Isa´s outfit of the LP this and last season,
Laura´s at Turino (Don Juan skate),
Ashley Cains practice outfit at Nebelhorn (BLING BLING),
Susanna (she always rocked her outfits)
Natalja Zabijako (she wears her outfits with so much attitude)
Sasha Cohen (Imagine 2007!)

loopy

Final Flight
Adding: Michelle Couwenberg to my list... her costumes are interesting.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
IMO, Kostner's costumes over the last TWO quads were as good as anybody's, on par with Sasha Cohen's, generally speaking. Criticizing Kostner's costumes and praising Suzuki's? Give me a break. Her dress, image linked to as Akiko by Buttercup, was a psychological terror directed to Asada, the way I see it. Remember Arakawa and Ando dressed themselves in Kim's Gershwin-esque blue dresses in a same Japanese domestic exhibition event right after Vancouver? Same kind of thing. Well, I guess it worked for Suzuki, since she won WC bronze that year while Asada finished 6th. I won't further comment on her other dresses referred in the Buttercup's post, though I liked her programs in some of those.
I was not aware that the color blue had been copyrighted by Yuna Kim (Akiko must have gotten the memo as she switched to lavender by 2012 Skate Canada), or that wearing it was a form of psychological terror! Thank you for enlightening me. Poor ladies, being terrorized by Akiko. She's a scary one. :rolleye: I do wonder, though, why didn't she wear it all season, if that was her goal?

But wait, didn't Arakawa wear a blue dress first? Perhaps everyone has been copying her! Or maybe it was the Kween whom everyone was trying to emulate? It couldn't have been Nadine Ahmed's dress; she wasn't well-known enough, and anyway the skirt is too long.

Akiko's blue dress was beautiful. Carolina's LP costume that season was interesting, but I thought the idea was better than the execution. I did approve of her black unitard for the Riders on the Storm program, it was a good fit conceptually. And comparing someone's costumes to Sasha Cohen's isn't much of a compliment. Carolina is a lovely skater and a classy person, she deserves better than this sort of "defense".

Also, just FYI: the hardest throwing pitchers in baseball are often closers and other specialized relievers. And they all come in from the bullpen! Don't use baseball as a metaphor if you can't get it right.

thinspread

On the Ice
^^ No, it's not about Yuna Kim having a monopoly on anything. Yes, anybody can wear any color. Usually, I couldn't care less even if somebody is dressed exactly like someone else. My comments were about what I see in the particular costume you picked as your favorite, and in the costume choice Suzuki made. Is the resemblance only in color, really? With the Arakawa's exhibilition costume I mentioned, similarity to Kim's Gershwin dress was even more striking. It's about the choices made by the Japanese ladies, not about others'. Interesting is that, Murakami's new FS this year is to Papa, Can You Hear Me, the same Yentl OST track Kim skated to in another case of her crushing win over Asada at JWC. All coincidence? Possibly. Hint of intention or design? Yes, the way I see this kind of things in skating. Am I saying it's wrong if it's true? No. You don't agree? Fine, but please don't change or distort what I said.

About the baseball thing, I believe you would be aware that bull pen means a warm up area for the pitchers, primarily; and relievers/closers, secondarily.

mikeko666

Final Flight
I was not aware that the color blue had been copyrighted by Yuna Kim (Akiko must have gotten the memo as she switched to lavender by 2012 Skate Canada), or that wearing it was a form of psychological terror! Thank you for enlightening me. Poor ladies, being terrorized by Akiko. She's a scary one. :rolleye: I do wonder, though, why didn't she wear it all season, if that was her goal?

But wait, didn't Arakawa wear a blue dress first? Perhaps everyone has been copying her! Or maybe it was the Kween whom everyone was trying to emulate? It couldn't have been Nadine Ahmed's dress; she wasn't well-known enough, and anyway the skirt is too long.

Actually, the lavender dress was made first. Suzuki had two new dresses made for 2012 Worlds, a pale blue one for FS and the lavender for EX. The pale blue dress looked nice in a fitting room but not so on the ice. So they decided to make a royal blue dress using the lavender's pattern in the last minutes.

There will be dozens of blue dresses in Sochi, and I bet some of them will be royal blue. Asada will have a good excuse if she didn't win Gold.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
The lavender dress is lovely - though I suppose that dress in that color, or in pale blue, could look a bit washed out on the ice in competition rather than with gala lighting. More vibrant colors can really show well, as Kiira Korpi has demonstrated over the years.

^^ No, it's not about Yuna Kim having a monopoly on anything. Yes, anybody can wear any color. Usually, I couldn't care less even if somebody is dressed exactly like someone else. My comments were about what I see in the particular costume you picked as your favorite, and in the costume choice Suzuki made. Is the resemblance only in color, really? With the Arakawa's exhibilition costume I mentioned, similarity to Kim's Gershwin dress was even more striking. It's about the choices made by the Japanese ladies, not about others'. Interesting is that, Murakami's new FS this year is to Papa, Can You Hear Me, the same Yentl OST track Kim skated to in another case of her crushing win over Asada at JWC. All coincidence? Possibly. Hint of intention or design? Yes, the way I see this kind of things in skating. Am I saying it's wrong if it's true? No. You don't agree? Fine, but please don't change or distort what I said.
No, they're all copying Nadine Ahmed. They are probably jealous because even though she's really not much of an ice dancer, she is the future Mrs. Kerr. And Murakami could actually be trying to psych out Carolina Kostner by reminding her that she's not as young as she once was. Yes, that is clearly it.

I picked five different costumes to illustrate how pretty Akiko's dresses are. I don't know why you're so obsessed with this one. What's next, accusing her of copying Jimmy MacElroy with the peacock dress?

About the baseball thing, I believe you would be aware that bull pen means a warm up area for the pitchers, primarily; and relievers/closers, secondarily.
It's bullpen - one word. Bullpen the location is the place where relievers throw before entering a game, but bullpen also refers to a team's relief pitchers (source, another source, another source). When someone claims that, say, "the Dodgers have a good bullpen", it does not mean that they have a pretty bullpen with lovely amenities. While starters sometimes throw there as well, the term is not generally associated with them. Or with weak pitching. So, to repeat: baseball terminology, you're doing it wrong.

As for your costume conspiracy theories, they are even more ridiculous than the usual bot "arguments".

jaylee

Medalist
Actually, the lavender dress was made first. Suzuki had two new dresses made for 2012 Worlds, a pale blue one for FS and the lavender for EX. The pale blue dress looked nice in a fitting room but not so on the ice. So they decided to make a royal blue dress using the lavender's pattern in the last minutes.

The lavender dress may have been made before the royal blue one, and the blue may have been patterned on the lavender, but both have an extremely uncanny resemblance to Yu-Na Kim's 2010 Olympics FS dress in terms of design.

Akiko Suzuki, 2012 Worlds: http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Akiko+Suzuki+2012+ISU+World+Figure+Skating+G-25nnf0KJvl.jpg
Yu-Na Kim, 2010 Olympics: http://media.npr.org/assets/news/20...4d35ae6e66ef53aa1b350134ef7e3e3e81-s3-c85.jpg

Personally, I loved Akiko Suzuki's first costume that season the best: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-GCE_6QnBybc/TrC4k0PJ1II/AAAAAAAASb8/7hryGsEfmb0/s1600/Akiko1.jpg There was no need for her to change it or look to other dresses for inspiration.

mikeko666

Final Flight
The lavender dress may have been made before the royal blue one, and the blue may have been patterned on the lavender, but both have an extremely uncanny resemblance to Yu-Na Kim's 2010 Olympics FS dress in terms of design.

Akiko Suzuki, 2012 Worlds: http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Akiko+Suzuki+2012+ISU+World+Figure+Skating+G-25nnf0KJvl.jpg
Yu-Na Kim, 2010 Olympics: http://media.npr.org/assets/news/20...4d35ae6e66ef53aa1b350134ef7e3e3e81-s3-c85.jpg

Personally, I loved Akiko Suzuki's first costume that season the best: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-GCE_6QnBybc/TrC4k0PJ1II/AAAAAAAASb8/7hryGsEfmb0/s1600/Akiko1.jpg There was no need for her to change it or look to other dresses for inspiration.

Well, Kim better bring her patent lawyer to Sochi to sue everyone in a halter-neck dress, claiming the design as her intellectual property.

Sara

On the Ice
I like a lot almost all dresses of Yuna Kim, she is so classy! There was a big contrast between her LP dress and Mao's in 2010 (Mao was wearing that awful, ugly red dress). My second favourite is Kiira Korpi. Her LP Evita dress was really beautiful and suited her perfectly! When I saw Radionova's free programme from last year I was immediately thinking her dress resembles something! :) There are a couple of costumes of Kiira that have been less flattering, such as her SP dress from 2010, but generally speaking I love her dresses and style!

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
all Russian female skaters have either ugly or too glittery busy costumes that hurts the eyes or the lack of color, Tuk
only Julia has gorgeous and unique costumes, love her costumes with gloves and the little red dress in her LP
her only bad costume was last seasons ninja SP unitard

Mao Asada is a hit or miss
her LP costume at Japan Open 2013 was terrible

figurejennah

On the Ice
I like Wager, Gold and Kim's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wager's dresses are very good... most of the time.
I didn't like Kim's last season's outfit, but her body (beautiful long arms and legs) saved it. Danse macabre is the best dress ever though.
Gold is so beautiful!!!! and she is classy too. :) What a beautiful young lady...

BTW I am selling Skate Canada tickets. 2 for $160. Close to middle and row 2. If anyone is interested, message me please !!