Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 88

Thread: Courtney Hicks GP season?!

  1. #1
    Custom Title FSGMT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    3,028

    Courtney Hicks GP season?!

    I am VERY surprised that, after her stellar performance at Glacier Falls, she hasn't received any JGP/GP assignement... She isn't even in the alternates list for the JGP events! She has the U.S. Classics Senior B, yes, but I thought that (if they wanted to put her among the 3rd Olympic spot contenders), they were going to give her an assignement for some of the important events...

  2. #2
    skating philosopher Mrs. P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    9,687
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    I am VERY surprised that, after her stellar performance at Glacier Falls, she hasn't received any JGP/GP assignement... She isn't even in the alternates list for the JGP events! She has the U.S. Classics Senior B, yes, but I thought that (if they wanted to put her among the 3rd Olympic spot contenders), they were going to give her an assignement for some of the important events...
    Remember that Max Aaron did not get any GP events either (he got two Senior B's instead) last season....and look where he ended up.

    Sure a great splash on the GP helps, but if she brings it at Nationals, USFSA won't ignore her.

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,028
    I am not too worried; exactly as Mrs. P says besides there are so many contenders and pretenders in the US ladies battle to reclaim their dominance.

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,535
    I still don't quite get how someone like Cesario who has aged out of Juniors and has never even gone to the JGPF or won anything of note has 2 assignments while Hicks has none even though she easily beat Cesario at Nationals. As for Junior Worlds it wasn't like Cesario decisively beat her. She beat her by less then two points.

  5. #5
    Custom Title SaraM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    I am VERY surprised that, after her stellar performance at Glacier Falls, she hasn't received any JGP/GP assignement... She isn't even in the alternates list for the JGP events! She has the U.S. Classics Senior B, yes, but I thought that (if they wanted to put her among the 3rd Olympic spot contenders), they were going to give her an assignement for some of the important events...
    Shes too boring all she can do is jump... watch her and the watch kostner u know what i mean, she just dosent have a good look on the ice

  6. #6
    Custom Title SaraM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I still don't quite get how someone like Cesario who has aged out of Juniors and has never even gone to the JGPF or won anything of note has 2 assignments while Hicks has none even though she easily beat Cesario at Nationals. As for Junior Worlds it wasn't like Cesario decisively beat her. She beat her by less then two points.
    Cesario only has one assignment. The host spot at skate america

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    1,924
    Quote Originally Posted by SaraM View Post
    Cesario only has one assignment. The host spot at skate america
    Are you sure?
    Here http://www.usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=216 we see two (second at TEB where Silete WD).

  8. #8
    Custom Title SaraM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRus View Post
    Are you sure?
    Here http://www.usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=216 we see two (second at TEB where Silete WD).
    Oooooh i didnt know that... would have that the spot would go to another french skater or russian.. korobeynikova still has one assignment.. love her hope she gets two

  9. #9
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    1,924
    Quote Originally Posted by SaraM View Post
    Oooooh i didnt know that... would have that the spot would go to another french skater or russian.. korobeynikova still has one assignment.. love her hope she gets two
    Korobeynikova was not at Top 5 (on Season Best) of pretenders to GP.
    Other pretenders were
    27 Haruka IMAI JPN
    31 Natalia POPOVA UKR
    32 Kexin ZHANG CHN
    33 Amelie LACOSTE CAN

    France preferred Cesario of these five.

  10. #10
    Custom Title SaraM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    477
    I see thanks for clarifiaing. Still hoping russia wil give the tba spot to her... i know she hasnt been much consistent the past season but she is just a georgeous sight pn the ice

  11. #11
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    61
    The "competition readiness" thing does not seem to apply to everyone! She looked great, but Keiser was the lowest I had ever seen her and still gets assigned?

  12. #12
    Custom Title SaraM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by nam57 View Post
    The "competition readiness" thing does not seem to apply to everyone! She looked great, but Keiser was the lowest I had ever seen her and still gets assigned?
    I agree with that, very suprised that keiser has a jgp shes been way off this season

  13. #13
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,980
    Quote Originally Posted by SaraM View Post
    I agree with that, very suprised that keiser has a jgp shes been way off this season
    She was replaced by Karen Chen. The assignment was provisional and likely made before Keiser scored 98 points total at Glacier Falls. Likely, she was assigned because she had strong(ish) showings on the JGP last year, 1st and 4th place and 6th at the JGPF but she still made it and everyone else there skated really well so it wasn't too much of a red flag. USFS was likely unaware of how much her injuries and growth spurt had effected her so they assigned her initially then replaced her with Chen after Chen medaled at her 1st JGP and Keiser put up such a low score at Glacier Falls.

    Also, Russia assigned COR host pick to Gosviani. Much as I like Korobeynikova, I think that's fair, given Gosviani beat her at Nationals, was a solid 6th at Europeans, had a higher ISU SB last season, and was not assigned to any other GPs. Korobeynikova has one GP event and only got that due to her WS, which is remaining fairly high from the success she had in the 2011-2012 season as last season she was not very strong. Plus she didn't even skate at test skates and last season her content was very watered down, no 3lutz and one 3f in the FS, 3t-3t and 3lo in the SP. Gosviani meanwhile was doing 3f in both programs, and 3f-3t and 3lz in the FS, so to me, the assignment makes sense.

    I wonder if Cesario had been assigned to TEB before, if the SA spot would have gone to Hicks? Hard to know but I do feel Sam was a bit lowballed at Nationals while Courtney's scores seemed surprisingly high. Plus even with all those URs Sam still beat Courtney at JW. If anything, I think Samantha is more of a threat to Zawadzki, Gao, Nagasu, Czisny for that 3rd spot than anyone else, just due to her consistency and polish which Courtney lacks. And the Nationals results were weird, I have a feeling that even though USFS ranked 3-8 as Zawadzki, Hicks, Gao, Siraj, Nagasu, Cesario, in an ISU event we could have very likely seen the outcome to be Gao, Cesario, Nagasu, Zawadzki, Hicks, Siraj instead. So I doubt anyone is holding down Courtney, I don't think she's that much of a threat at this point, likely she just wasn't given the nod because she is still eligible for JGPs and could go that route instead while Cesario cannot.

  14. #14
    Custom Title FSGMT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    3,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Remember that Max Aaron did not get any GP events either (he got two Senior B's instead) last season....and look where he ended up.

    Sure a great splash on the GP helps, but if she brings it at Nationals, USFSA won't ignore her.
    I agree (I'm not worried about holding her down if favor of Samantha or anything like that), but I was really surprised that they didn't give her any big event after her great summer results... She could have easily qualified for the JGPF, for example: even her PCS would be "high" if compared to skaters like Medvedeva, Kaumova, Edmunds, Kim

  15. #15
    skating philosopher Mrs. P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    9,687
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    She was replaced by Karen Chen.
    Where did you see that? The International Assignments don't mention that: http://usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=216

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •