Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Thread: The Skating Lesson - Hating on the Shibs and Davis/White as people

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraV View Post
    Dave and Jenny are going to dish in a free wheeling way, they are going to get some free wheeling, even harsh criticism in response. Most of the posters here are just trying to offer constructive criticism. I like TSL, I think it could be even better than it is and hope it will get there. I am really not seeing much that I would call "haterade" here.
    This is the funniest part. They hate on champion skaters, in Jenny's case many who kicked her butt inside out for many years on end, yet some of their supporters call those who dare to critique them in a much milder way than they openly diss superior skaters to themselves as being mean and out of line, LOL! Cry me a river.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Local phi beta kappa chapters sponsor scholarships and programs of various kinds as part of their community service mission. The phi beta kappa chapter in the northwestern suburbs of Detroit is especially active. They give out awards like the one Meryl won to high school seniors who exhibit exceptional academic achievement, leadership qualities, and participation in extracurricular and community affairs. Here is the announcement for a similar program by the Washington, D.C., chapter.

http://apsva.us/cms/lib2/VA01000586/...cholarship.pdf

By the way, when I went to the Grove High School (Birmingham, Michigan) web site to check this out, there was a list of state championships that the school has won in various sports. In 2003, they won the state championship in figure skating. I don't know if Meryl was on the team or not.

By the way, Meryl has given some in depth interviews at the University of Michigan, contributed to panel discussions on sports-related topics, and addressed audiences. She did fine. She is not an orator (her voice is too high-pitched and light), but she is articulate and thoughtful.
    Thanks, Math! I'm glad to hear there's so much local activity by PBK chapters, and also that Meryl has taken part in college events and hasn't just lived at the rink and in her classroom.

Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    David can be snarky. I think he is hardly that awful. Rather than demanding off with his internet feed, don't watch them? Would you bother with the pc skaters afraid to take a stand? David is a gay man. He is angry at what he sees as cowardly skaters. Look, NBC just chose Weir to see if he brings controversial ratings to the FS. Johnny outed Evan and got less flack than some little podcast only we ubers even watch. Why can't Dave 'haters' either ignore him or celebrate free speech. Off with his head because of his opinions?

Every position has been repeated. It is old. I tuned in thinking something must be learned -what was I missing I wondered.

I hate Howard Stern. I guess I can't get him banished, or Weir for that matter. I still don't see the huge offense. Someone here can say my comments are idiotic. So it isn't polite or pc, but it happens here. Be grateful for free speech, even if you hate what is said.

It is so attacked. Before long, every one will be unable to speak their minds. We will all have chips with reams of info. Govt will use security and illegals issue. It is coming down the road. All our freedoms stem from free speech. If you hate TSL=ignore it. It is actually pretty darn interesting and we have FS on life support.

Way more positives than some snark or humor from Dave.
    I am in no way advocating for censorship. I value the freedom of speech.

However, I (and others) also have the freedom to state our criticisms of the product they put out. As for ignoring them, I had long stopped watching certain segments (basically mainly watching their solid interviews), and only went back to watch the videos the original poster (and others) had issue with and it just simply reaffirmed why I don't care/agree with some of their segments.

Here's the thing, we make criticism of skaters here all the time and think nothing of it. Using the same logic people are using regarding people criticizing TSL: If you dislike X's skating so much, don't watch it! Why don't you just ignore X's skating and not watch it all the time if it bothers you so much?

Likewise, I don't think TSL is completely useless. Quite the contrary. In fact, because they are becoming a relevant voice in the skating world, I think it's fair game to question their approach, just as people have questioned Phil Hersh's approach to covering skating or Scott Hamilton's commentary on NBC.

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    This is the funniest part. They hate on champion skaters, in Jenny's case many who kicked her butt inside out for many years on end, yet some of their supporters call those who dare to critique them in a much milder way than they openly diss superior skaters to themselves as being mean and out of line, LOL! Cry me a river.
    Yes... I don't see why it's necessary to be nice and civil to those who aren't.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14