Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: The Skating Lesson - Hating on the Shibs and Davis/White as people

Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    At first, I thought Dave might be dragging Jenny down, but she has the choice to stay or leave and she has made the choice to stay. I am afraid it is making her look bad which is a shame this early in her career. I think she could have gone the classy way of Manley Woman and still done some really interesting interviews, by herself. In hindsight it might have seemed hilarious, wild and wacky to partner with Dave, but it's starting to get annoying now. When your show is causing this much controversy I don't believe it's a good thing.

And yes I do believe that there is a mob bullying skaters right now (not just Dave) that really needs to stop.
    I do believe this, that Jenny would have much more potential to parlay TSL into a legit journalism career without Dave, though you make a valid point about it being her choice to stick with him. I actually think The Skating Lesson is kinda tragic in the way it could have been so good, like an alt-newsy approach to traditional skating journalism, but instead is shooting itself in the foot. It's not even that Jenny is so amazing on her own, but she knows when to shut up during interviews and direct the conversation, while Dave talks over people in a cringe-worthy way, often for the cheap joke.

I think they have a right to say whatever they want on their own blog/videos, but they have to deal with the blowback of being snide and petty. If their goal is to be a small-time video series with snarky commentary (essentially a collab version of the Aunt Joyce blog), then they've succeeded and that's fine. However, I get the sense they WANT to be seen as more professional and legitimate (and they do have the potential to do that, it's just they're making the wrong choices) -- and in that case I say, "You have to act as such before you are treated as such."

One thing that did deserve a chuckle, though, was Meryl and Charlie's bit about how the grit of the mean streets of Detroit has inspired their skating.

http://www.freep.com/article/2013100...te-meryl-davis

West Bloomfield is #6 on the list of the top 100 cities with population over 50,000 in terms of per capita income. As for the DIA (Detroit Institute of Arts) that Charlie mentions, it looks like all those art treasures, a billion dollars worth, will be sold at auction in the current bankruptcy proceedings. :(

Olympia... I just wanted to say - you're wonderful.

Custom Title
    Hmmm so much a do about nothing. People need to stop looking to TSL for moral compass, they are just couple of bloggers/fans/insiders who get to voice their locker room chat as much as anyone on these message boards. At least they put their real name behind their opinions.

Personally I thought they are doing a good job, even just to get people to disagree with their opinions and talking about the issues. Unfortunately blatant honesty and strong opinions can offend even it was not intended to be mean spirited or offensive. Could they learn better tact and be more thoughtful in their delivery? Sure, but they are so green in their credentials.

I do agree these athletes are in a really tough position (rather unfairly) on this issue and should not be so personally scrutinized to the extend some media have pressured them looking for a story. Federations should issue a statement that absolve athletes from all these responsibilities to face the question. They are there to compete, not to become a tool for some other things that has nothing to do with what they are trained to do. Everything else are extra curricular as far as sports are concerned.

Personally, I am utterly disgusted with the Russian Government's stance on the whole matter, and think the world at large should condemn it as a whole, but not using an occasion or latch onto a cause like the Olympics to do so, or cherry pick individual athletes as sound boards. Media doing this is rather cowardly don't you think? Why don't they interrogate the politicians, the businessmen instead, or those who are really able to do something about it?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    However, I'll be charitable.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    One thing that did deserve a chuckle, though, was Meryl and Charlie's bit about how the grit of the mean streets of Detroit has inspired their skating.

http://www.freep.com/article/2013100...te-meryl-davis

West Bloomfield is #6 on the list of the top 100 cities with population over 50,000 in terms of per capita income. As for the DIA (Detroit Institute of Arts) that Charlie mentions, it looks like all those art treasures, a billion dollars worth, will be sold at auction in the current bankruptcy proceedings. :(
    They are getting a lot of blowback for the Detroit comments which I think is unfair. I think they were asked this question to bring attention to the area because of Skate America. They related to Detroit the best way they knew how in their answers. Just because they are from rich suburbs and not downtown everyday doesn't mean they haven't ever experienced Detroit.

FWIW, Alissa was in that "gritty Detroit" Chrysler commercial, and nobody gave her flack for that. She's not inner city either.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post

Personally, I am utterly disgusted with the Russian Government's stance on the whole matter, and think the world at large should condemn it as a whole, but not using an occasion or latch onto a cause like the Olympics to do so, or cherry pick individual athletes as sound boards. Media doing this is rather cowardly don't you think? Why don't they interrogate the politicians, the businessmen instead, or those who are really able to do something about it?
    This is a tremendously important point. Thanks for bringing it up. People who can take some sort of signification action are the ones that the media should be talking to on this subject.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar

Custom Title
    I cannot believe this thread is still going on. The senior season can't start fast enough!

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    True! We don't have enough skating to talk about? Only Nepela, Finlandia, and the latest JGP last weekend, not to mention Russian, French & US qualifiers are all ongoing.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    And that's great, and should be done, but these are people coming at the problem from the perspective of figure skating, as that is what their focus is on.

We DO have enough to talk about. And TSL talks about ALL of it... yet people LOVE to being up the most sensational stuff Dave says and call him a horrible human being and drag his name through mud... which is worse, in my book, than what Dave is doing.

Also, we talk about these athletes as if they have no power on the subject. They DO have power, being that they are in the spotlight at this even, in this country, and people are listening to what they are saying and watching what they are doing. Meryl said: "the Olympics isn't a place for political statements" and that is something I COMPLETELY disagree with. It is THE BEST place, BECAUSE it is the most visible. She could have said "I don't want to make a political statement, I just want to focus on my job of winning an OGM. I may or may not agree with this law, but my job is to focus on winning." <--- I CAN GET BEHIND THAT AS A GAY MAN, EVEN IF I DON'T LIKE THAT SHE DIDN'T SUPPORT GAY RIGHTS OUTRIGHT! Instead, she gave a dull, stupid answer.... and deserves to be called out for it! They also made NO sense. There is NO SEMANTICS invloved. It is both a political issue, and a human rights issue. The answer was, indeed, idiotic.

Scrufflet brought up Uncle Dick earlier and it's totally a legitimate point: Uncle Dick was WAY harsh back in the day, and gave HARSH critiques. It's in that vein. Yet people never question Dick Button's legitimacy to give that, and they LOVE to pounce on everything Dave says.

Also, Olympia, you're a smart person... you know EXACTLY why skaters are being questioned about the anti-gay propaganda law... because they will be directly affected due to the fact that they're in a sport populated by many a gay, and they will be competing for the highest honor in the sport in that very country. Their opinions on the matter ARE important. (While the extinction of bees IS an important problem... they have neither the experience nor the expertise to comment, and you KNOW that.)

Quote Originally Posted by zschultz1986 View Post

Also, we talk about these athletes as if they have no power on the subject. They DO have power, being that they are in the spotlight at this even, in this country, and people are listening to what they are saying and watching what they are doing. Meryl said: "the Olympics isn't a place for political statements" and that is something I COMPLETELY disagree with. It is THE BEST place, BECAUSE it is the most visible. She could have said "I don't want to make a political statement, I just want to focus on my job of winning an OGM. I may or may not agree with this law, but my job is to focus on winning." <--- I CAN GET BEHIND THAT AS A GAY MAN, EVEN IF I DON'T LIKE THAT SHE DIDN'T SUPPORT GAY RIGHTS OUTRIGHT! Instead, she gave a dull, stupid answer.... and deserves to be called out for it! They also made NO sense. There is NO SEMANTICS invloved. It is both a political issue, and a human rights issue. The answer was, indeed, idiotic.
    Here's the quote again:

“Unfortunately, it’s semantics. To Russia, it is a political statement. And they are the host country. I think that is probably all we will say on the subject.”
    Doesn't sound like Charlie is saying that he thinks it's a matter of semantics whether it's a human rights or a political issue. What he's saying is that it's unfortunate that the host country, i.e. Russia, is playing semantics with it: seeing it as a political, not a human rights issue.

ETA: Also, Agnes said something to the likes of "I need to focus on making the Olympic team," and she has been chastised on the boards for her statement and even called and an ostrich for her statement.

And how do you know that Meryl does or doesn't support gay rights? Just because they didn't spell it out, doesn't mean they do or don't support gay rights. In fact Meryl and Charlie, in general, have not really spoken on the issue of gay marriage or gay rights, so why are they expected to suddenly speak out on the issue?

As Doris and others pointed out, their focus has been on things like Classroom Champions and helping young people succeed. The fact that kid felt better about himself because of Meryl speaking out on her dylexia doesn't speak to her character, I guess.

Rinkside
    For better or worse, the IOC has deemed the Olympics not to be a place for political statements. If the converse were true, then arguments about the propriety of national boycotts would hold a lot more weight.

As a gay man, I would love the skaters to voice their disapproval of this law. But again, I'm taking it as a given that no skater from North America believes anyone who disseminates "homosexual propaganda" should be jailed. And Meryl and Charlie should definitely loosen up, but I get that they're reserved people. Not every female skater is going to be a diva a la Pasha. I mean, if D/W wanted to help their careers, then an obvious way to get attention would be to start a media war with V/M and talk about how much they hate each other. But instead, we have to live with the reality (at least as they claim) that they're sort of friends.

Custom Title
    The athletes have zero power to change politics in Russia. Furthermore, they have been warned by the IOC to steer away from becoming involved in political demonstrations at the expense of being banned from the Games---and there has been no outright definition of what 'political demonstrations' involves. Each athlete takes a risk by making a statement relative to the Russian law quashing gay rights.

Has Lease applied for press documents for Sochi? Is he prepared to go to Russia and put his freedom on the line? If not, why is he challenging athletes to put their opportunity to participate in the Games on the line in support of his cause?

Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    They are getting a lot of blowback for the Detroit comments which I think is unfair. I think they were asked this question to bring attention to the area because of Skate America. They related to Detroit the best way they knew how in their answers. Just because they are from rich suburbs and not downtown everyday doesn't mean they haven't ever experienced Detroit.

FWIW, Alissa was in that "gritty Detroit" Chrysler commercial, and nobody gave her flack for that. She's not inner city either.
    You're right, that was mean of me. Sorry.

As for Alissa Czisny of Bowling Green, Ohio, appearing in the ad for Chrysler of Auburn Hills, Michigan, featuring rapper Eminem of Rochester, Michigan, here is the follow-up ad: Perseverance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc41XPkPdec

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast