Videos muted? | Golden Skate

Videos muted?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I have some internet now, but the audio part of the youtube vids being posted on the Finlandia thread are gone...is it me?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO-aZ0MMc8E

This is weird...every youtube vid on two computers at my house is muted and I cant unmute them.....the mute button does nothing.....

OK, there is a bug out there....the work around is that you have to work the vol. slide in YOUTUBE vid box and that fixes it....

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm not having the problem either.

It's some kind of bug in youtube. But if you start muted, turn the sound up all the way, and it should come up like that when next you open youtube.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yes, but to be more to the point for us techno challenged folk, what you will see is the speaker symbol, the "x" to the right of it, indicting "mute" and no volume bar. One tries to click on the X or the speaker symbol and it lights up but wont unmute. The fix is to click just to the right of the X and the volume control will appear and then you can run the slider on that bar up and the problem is fixed and the mute will work.
Both of my computers got this bug, but not my wife's. It first started appearing on the internet in very early OCT, about a week ago....maybe do to some automatic update....

I'm not having the problem either.

It's some kind of bug in youtube. But if you start muted, turn the sound up all the way, and it should come up like that when next you open youtube.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I have some internet now, but the audio part of the youtube vids being posted on the Finlandia thread are gone...is it me?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO-aZ0MMc8E

This is weird...every youtube vid on two computers at my house is muted and I cant unmute them.....the mute button does nothing.....

OK, there is a bug out there....the work around is that you have to work the vol. slide in YOUTUBE vid box and that fixes it....

Hey Chris

Just in case the replies so far have been making you think you're the only one that's been affected, you're not. It's been happening to me too.

I normally go onto the internet using Firefox in private mode. But, I was using it in the public mode when watching the ISU streaming of the Nebelhorn, so that it would be quicker to find the pages again.

I just assumed that the reason the videos were now coming up muted was because, on the last occasion I had used YouTube publically (the Nebelhorn gala), I must have muted the video before closing the page.

So, I just opened a random video (who am I kidding - I deliberately searched for Liza's FS from the Finlandia!) in public mode. When I played it, the sound came up alright. Then I opened the same video in private mode, and the sound played alright there too.

Just to check if it was just working fine on this particular video, I then opened a video that was muted when I watched it in private mode last night (a non-skating vid). And it is not muted now, in either private or public mode!

Unfortunately, I never thought of opening either of the videos in private mode before I started this exercise, so I don't actually know if it was this exercise that fixed it! But, it might have been... ;) :biggrin:

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Wow....I thought it was just me! I tried everything I could think of - cleared cookies, temp files, cache, restarted the computer about 3 times. Youtube vids still had no sound. I could watch the live stream and tv programs fine, but youtube just kept coming up with the x next to the speaker symbol. I stumbled on the same solution as Chris and finally moved the volume slide thingy to the right and the volume has been fine since. I have absolutely no idea why this happened...but I'm glad it is fixed.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Google is bringing out some new products, and there have been some oddnesses with Youtube and also with the Google Tool Bar (which has Youtube on it). I wonder whether those two factoids have something to do with each other?

lcd

Match Penalty
Good point Doris. I've noticed all of the platforms are taking advantage of us this week. Yahoo and Google emails have both modified their "looks" Apple launched iOS7 which changed the look of my iphone. Can they just realize that us cranky skating fans just want to KISS? Keep It Simple Stupid. And don't go messing with my Skating videos!

:eek::laugh:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I am with you but I think everything may become more obnoxious....facebook and twitter seem to have become so......
"To error is Human...to really foul things up requires a computer"

BTW, if you get hit with the "US Cyber Security" virus ransom ware....
http://botcrawl.com/how-to-remove-the-united-states-cyber-security-ransomare-virus/
Stay cool....boot up in safe mode, pick a restore point...do a restore to that point...and in my case, Norton was compromised so I had to remove and reinstall Norton internet security using a program from the Norton website....
Viruses like these aren't made by 16 year olds in back rooms...they are made by nefarious companies locate off shore, in some cases....

Good point Doris. I've noticed all of the platforms are taking advantage of us this week. Yahoo and Google emails have both modified their "looks" Apple launched iOS7 which changed the look of my iphone. Can they just realize that us cranky skating fans just want to KISS? Keep It Simple Stupid. And don't go messing with my Skating videos!

:eek::laugh: