GP predictions game??! | Golden Skate

GP predictions game??!

FSGMT

Record Breaker
We have talkes about having the GP predictions game again this year, but after that discussion no-one did anything more... Macassar88 would you like to manage it again? Anyone else? I can't do it, but I would really like to play, last year it was fantastic! :yes:

tulosai

Record Breaker
I'm willing to manage or help manage it (I think Macassar88 said he was not interested but if I am wrong just speak up, I'd be happy to defer to you), but if so I'd want it to be simplified at least a bit from last year. I'd propose that we do guess the top 4 instead of top 5 (since Mrs P had a very good point in another thread about that letting people mix it up more in situations where the top 3 are more or less gimmies but I still think top 5 was a lot in terms of scoring at times). However, I propose that we simplify scoring slightly by just saying (again borrowing from Mrs P):

If a team is in the position that is guessed, you get 100% of their competition score (i.e. if their total competition score was 150.44, you'd get 150.44)
If the team is one position off (i.e. you guess they're in 2nd but they come in 3rd or 1st) you get 66% of their score
If a team is two positions off (i.e. you guess 3rd but they're 1st or 5th) you get 33% of their score

Thoughts?

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I'm willing to manage or help manage it (I think Macassar88 said he was not interested but if I am wrong just speak up, I'd be happy to defer to you), but if so I'd want it to be simplified at least a bit from last year. I'd propose that we do guess the top 4 instead of top 5 (since Mrs P had a very good point in another thread about that letting people mix it up more in situations where the top 3 are more or less gimmies but I still think top 5 was a lot in terms of scoring at times). However, I propose that we simplify scoring slightly by just saying (again borrowing from Mrs P):

If a team is in the position that is guessed, you get 100% of their competition score (i.e. if their total competition score was 150.44, you'd get 150.44)
If the team is one position off (i.e. you guess they're in 2nd but they come in 3rd or 1st) you get 66% of their score
If a team is two positions off (i.e. you guess 3rd but they're 1st or 5th) you get 33% of their score

Thoughts?
I would like to help scoring, so (just to make sure that I have understood everything) if my SA Ladies prediction is:
1) asada
2) wagner
3) radionova
4) tuktamysheva
and the final result is:
1) wagner 175 points
2) asada 173 points
3) radionova 164 points
4) marchei 159 points (imagining a Tuktamysheva's meltdown ;) )
what is the result?
(But, with this system the points depend on the judges and on how strict the technical panel is from competition to competition... maybe it would be better to use GP points (15 for 1st, 13 for 2nd etc) and then applying the system you explained)

tulosai

Record Breaker
I would like to help scoring, so (just to make sure that I have understood everything) if my SA Ladies prediction is:
1) asada
2) wagner
3) radionova
4) tuktamysheva
and the final result is:
1) wagner 175 points
2) asada 173 points
3) radionova 164 points
4) marchei 159 points (imagining a Tuktamysheva's meltdown ;) )
what is the result?
(But, with this system the points depend on the judges and on how strict the technical panel is from competition to competition... maybe it would be better to use GP points (15 for 1st, 13 for 2nd etc) and then applying the system you explained)

With the system I explained, you'd get 115.5 points for wagner, 114.18 for Asada, and 164 for Radionova. You might also get some point for Liza if she were 5th or 6th. You'd then add them up.

I have no objection to using GP points instead but don't have a strong opinion either way. In that case you'd get 9.9 for Wagner, 8.58 for Asada, 11 for Radionova, and maybe also some for Liza if she finished 5th or 6th.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I think GP points would be better than competitions points... these are huge numbers and rather hard to handle, and additionally, you actually get more points from some categories than others (meaning, since the men score the highest numbers, guessing the men right gives you more points than ladies, pairs or dance - and I don't want to have the men being worth more than the ladies :p). Looking at the way the skaters get points for their GP placements, maybe we could do something like 15 points for the 1st place, 13 for 2nd and so on.... or it's 15 points if you got a placement right, and 13 (or less) of you got a skater wrong by one placements (like saying Mao will win, but she's 2nd at the end).
This game is for fun, and it will be no matter what kind of 'scoring' you choose (or Macasser88, if he wants to), I just think numbers like that would be easier to handle. So maybe we could still guess top 5, not just top 4.

But anyway, I'd volunteer to help with the scoring, if that's okay :)

tulosai

Record Breaker
I think GP points would be better than competitions points... these are huge numbers and rather hard to handle, and additionally, you actually get more points from some categories than others (meaning, since the men score the highest numbers, guessing the men right gives you more points than ladies, pairs or dance - and I don't want to have the men being worth more than the ladies :p). Looking at the way the skaters get points for their GP placements, maybe we could do something like 15 points for the 1st place, 13 for 2nd and so on.... or it's 15 points if you got a placement right, and 13 (or less) of you got a skater wrong by one placements (like saying Mao will win, but she's 2nd at the end).
This game is for fun, and it will be no matter what kind of 'scoring' you choose (or Macasser88, if he wants to), I just think numbers like that would be easier to handle. So maybe we could still guess top 5, not just top 4.

But anyway, I'd volunteer to help with the scoring, if that's okay :)

I'd like to do top 5 if possible so maybe GP numbers is better. Assuming I do 'organize' this I will definitely need help with scoring yes :clap:

I'm gonna give Macasser88 24 hours or so to chime in. If not I'll start a thread in the GP forums for people to make predictions.

ETA: How do we feel about just plain old 15 points if you get a placement right (whether 1st 2nd 3rd 4th or 5th) 10 points if you're off by one placement, 5 if you're off by two placements? Too simple???

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
But simple is good! :yes: Alright, so you can count me in to help with the scoring ^^

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'd like to do top 5 if possible so maybe GP numbers is better. Assuming I do 'organize' this I will definitely need help with scoring yes :clap:

I'm gonna give Macasser88 24 hours or so to chime in. If not I'll start a thread in the GP forums for people to make predictions.

ETA: How do we feel about just plain old 15 points if you get a placement right (whether 1st 2nd 3rd 4th or 5th) 10 points if you're off by one placement, 5 if you're off by two placements? Too simple???

Actually that sounds like a great idea....

And I'll help or coordinate with scoring. :)

pitterpatter

On the Ice
Actually that sounds like a great idea....

And I'll help or coordinate with scoring. :)

Looking forward to this season's predictions game! tulosai (or whoever ends up organizing this), if you still need more helpers for scoring I'd be happy to volunteer as well.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Beware GS'ers. Tonto wants to enter the game.

You'll all be playing for second place!

Now for the trash talk:

Yo mama's sit spin is so wobbly, it looks like her chair is missing a leg!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
That's insensitive to everyone on the board. You should be ashamed for talking like that. We are people too. What a tabloid rag.

Macassar88

Medalist
Hey guys I think I'll be way too busy to manage. But I think that any of the ideas mentioned here would be great.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Do not intend to play, so am asking only out of curiosity:

Who won last year's game?

And other than the all-important bragging rights ;), are you playing for a prize?

tulosai

Record Breaker
Do not intend to play, so am asking only out of curiosity:

Who won last year's game?

And other than the all-important bragging rights ;), are you playing for a prize?

I don't think we ever finished last years game. Hopefully that will change this year :)

And nope, unfortunately no prizes- just bragging rights :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I don't think we ever finished last years game. Hopefully that will change this year :)

And nope, unfortunately no prizes- just bragging rights :)

We are only one catagory off! I'm going to go ahead and calculate it and get back with you on the results!

FSGMT

Record Breaker
We are only one catagory off! I'm going to go ahead and calculate it and get back with you on the results!
Thank you!! Because I would like to know it, too, since I played last year (and I actually did quite well :biggrin: )...