Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32

Thread: Kavaguti and Smirnov out for the season?

  1. #16
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,670
    oh...what an awful news to hear... so so sad for them. I have been rooting for Yuko & Sasha for a podium finish at Sochi, The Games in THEIR HOME TURF so much (even though it may be a bit an outside shot for them).

    Quote Originally Posted by thinspread View Post
    The report says he will undergo a surgery, with the extent of the surgery yet unknown. But any kind of surgery on the knee requires long rehabilitation. Olympics seems out of the question, I'm afraid.
    According to this, it is most likely Sasha had the ligament torn on his right knee: http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...000099-jij-spo

  2. #17
    Spiral Lover tulosai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    2,393
    Quote Originally Posted by thinspread View Post
    The report says he will undergo a surgery, with the extent of the surgery yet unknown. But any kind of surgery on the knee requires long rehabilitation. Olympics seems out of the question, I'm afraid.

    If it's not career ending, what would ensue for the team, especially for Smirnov? Will he find a new partner and resume a competitive career? He's not young, but not too old for pairs skating.
    I think they are done if the Olys are out of the question :/ it is well known that both intended to retire after Sochi IIRC. Frankly Kavaguti is the stronger skater of the two but at 32 she is unlikely to want to keep going (and being 36 at the next Olys does not sound promising. He is younger, but at 29, and having had such a long career, I' m not sure he'd want to keep going either. I guess time will tell. The only thing these two really don't have is an Oly medal.

  3. #18
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    337
    Those are very sad news, I always enjoyed their programs and I will never forget Alexander´s Batman choreografie at Bern during the practice! That was so funny

  4. #19
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    8,980
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    I think they are done if the Olys are out of the question :/ it is well known that both intended to retire after Sochi IIRC. Frankly Kavaguti is the stronger skater of the two but at 32 she is unlikely to want to keep going (and being 36 at the next Olys does not sound promising. He is younger, but at 29, and having had such a long career, I' m not sure he'd want to keep going either. I guess time will tell. The only thing these two really don't have is an Oly medal.

    I hope there is some way the organizers can figure out a way to let Kavaguti skate out onto the ice as part of some sort of exhibition event somewhere during the course of the Games, just to give her a bit of the Olympic experience and allow skating fans to applaud her. She has sacrificed a lot for her career and has probably helped Russia's standings in the pairs rankings, and it would be a nice gesture. It would also be a fitting way to honor Moskvina. Just a thought.

  5. #20
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,673
    I feel bad for Yuko the most, she gave up everything for this. She was the stronger partner as well.
    Then Sasha, he just couldn't hold it together, be it inconsistency or injuries. Bad luck all around.

    Moskvina is already a legend, even if she has another team on the podium, it still wouldn't make her more legendary than she is.

  6. #21
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,155
    I love them, and this news is awful. And so heartbreaking it must be for them! For this to happen so close to the Olympics... I also wonder what they will decide to do? For purely selfish reasons - as it gives me such joy irrespective of where they end up in the rankings - I would hope to see them compete again. But I would understand if they chose not to. But it's sad...

  7. #22
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    318
    So sad to hear this. Such a tough discipline. Injuries at this time and this year especially are heart breaking.

  8. #23
    Custom Title cinnamon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    318
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    I think they are done if the Olys are out of the question :/ it is well known that both intended to retire after Sochi IIRC. Frankly Kavaguti is the stronger skater of the two but at 32 she is unlikely to want to keep going (and being 36 at the next Olys does not sound promising. He is younger, but at 29, and having had such a long career, I' m not sure he'd want to keep going either. I guess time will tell. The only thing these two really don't have is an Oly medal.
    They have said in the past elsewhere that Sasha's body can't take it to lift, etc. so after Sochi they will retire.

    http://www.asahi.com/sports/update/0...305120254.html

  9. #24
    Custom Title cinnamon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    318
    Sasha's operation was successful on October 12 in Germany
    http://blog.livedoor.jp/yukosasha/
    Yuko believes in his power of recovery.

  10. #25
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,491
    Here's hoping and praying. Three months for recovery is pushing it and then one month for the Olympics - I am not sure this is a reasonable situation - Mind you if they could pull an Alissa with doubles - now I am sure some people say K and S aren't Czisny in respect to spins. Maybe the throw quad salchow is necessary to make up for the missing individual triples? Whatever happened to Ssquared's quad have they given it up or can we expect it - surely that would give them liek 5 more points than V and T.

  11. #26
    Custom Title cinnamon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    318
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Here's hoping and praying. Three months for recovery is pushing it and then one month for the Olympics - I am not sure this is a reasonable situation - Mind you if they could pull an Alissa with doubles - now I am sure some people say K and S aren't Czisny in respect to spins. Maybe the throw quad salchow is necessary to make up for the missing individual triples? Whatever happened to Ssquared's quad have they given it up or can we expect it - surely that would give them liek 5 more points than V and T.
    In above mentioned article of May 2013, Yuko said she was going to try the throw quad again, she called it "for this I have been doing pair skating". (Only the top part of the article can be seen here, the rest is for the registered readers.) Answering to the interviewer, Yuko said she'd like to try the quad which she wanted and couldn't do in Vancouver. They were practicing it last season, but it wasn't as stable to put in the program."
    It is also mentioned about Sasha's leg problem which bothers lifts and throw jumps - and this is one of their reasons to retire after Sochi.

  12. #27
    the Golden Era sky_fly20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    6,875
    I think they should stick for 1 more year, next year S/S, P/T maybe V/T wont be there
    so they have a chance to win another World medal and end their career on a high note

    about the surgery,
    Yuko will take a time off and visit Japan
    Smirnov can start sports "rehabilitation" in 4 weeks
    so there is a slight chance they might compete in Nationals and then maybe gets a spot for the Europeans

    http://www.itar-tass.com/c20/910913.html

    Smirnov in the night from Saturday to Sunday was operated on , the operation of the skater has been made in one of the leading clinics in Munich . Figure skater tore the patellar tendon three days ago during a speech at the memorial Panin , which took place in St. Petersburg.

    " Tamara Moskvina / athletic trainer couple. - Comm . ITAR - TASS / Yuka give an opportunity to relax a bit , the ability to go home . And then she'll be back and will train . How will leak her training, I can not say, because , fortunately, with such a practice, we rarely encounter . anyway, should always apply an individual approach . important thing is that Sasha had surgery yesterday and according to my information , this week he will begin rehabilitation "- said the Gorshkov during a telephone conversation.

    The head of the federation said that the operation Smirnov did the best surgeon of the ones that specialize in the knee joints . " So let's hope for the best," - he said.

    According to preliminary estimates , due to the latest method for knee surgery , the skater will be able to start a sports rehabilitation in four weeks .
    no Idea what that rehabilitation means, going after 4 weeks can train or discharged maybe ?

  13. #28
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    8,980
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    I think they should stick for 1 more year, next year S/S, P/T maybe V/T wont be there
    so they have a chance to win another World medal and end their career on a high note

    about the surgery,
    Yuko will take a time off and visit Japan
    Smirnov can start sports "rehabilitation" in 4 weeks
    so there is a slight chance they might compete in Nationals and then maybe gets a spot for the Europeans

    http://www.itar-tass.com/c20/910913.html

    no Idea what that rehabilitation means, going after 4 weeks can train or discharged maybe ?
    I agree with you that if the pair can resume skating, they should plan to remain in skating through next year's Worlds, because it will be a great way for them to go out on a good note. I'd love to see them medal.

    As for sports rehab for this season, I fear that actual competition readiness may take a long time. I looked up the anatomy, and the patellar tendon connects the kneecap (the patella) to the tibia (the large long bone of the lower leg, also called the shinbone). This is big stuff and directly affects jumping. If the tendon was torn, it will take quite some time to strengthen the limb. In all probability, jumping is the last activity he'll be able to resume, way after walking and climbing up and down stairs.

    Thanks for translating the news article for us!

  14. #29
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,885

  15. #30
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,204
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    I must say, those are the sexiest hospital pics I've seen in some time (Sorry if that's inappropriate!)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •