Current ladies who have competed under 6.0 scoring system | Golden Skate

Current ladies who have competed under 6.0 scoring system

TryMeLater

On the Ice
Other than Carolina Kostner, Jenna McCorkel and Miki Ando,
which of the current ladies competitors have competed under both 6.0 and IJS on the senior level?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Other than Carolina Kostner and Jenna McCorkel,
which of the current ladies competitors have competed under both 6.0 and IJS on the senior level?

Shortly after the Throwback Thursday thread was first started, Doris posted the following comment:

:love: way too cute, all of them! Amazing to recall that Meryl & Charlie and Tessa & Scott competed under 6.0 :eek:

So, I would say that quite a few of the current skaters that are around that age competed under the old system as juniors. For example, I'm nearly sure I saw a video of Mao once where she was being marked that way.

But, I stand to be corrected! ;) :biggrin:

As for senior level, I'm not sure. Given her age, presumably Akiko Suzuki did.

CaroLiza_fan

TryMeLater

On the Ice
Shortly after the Throwback Thursday thread was first started, Doris posted the following comment:

So, I would say that quite a few of the current skaters that are around that age competed under the old system as juniors. For example, I'm nearly sure I saw a video of Mao once where she was being marked that way.

But, I stand to be corrected! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Yes, but Mao competed as a junior, not a senior...

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Yes, but Mao competed as a junior, not a senior...

Sorry, I mis-read the question. But, I realised as soon as I submitted it, and tried to edit it before you noticed! But, you were too quick off the mark! ;)

Got to learn to type quicker... :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

EDIT: Here is the bit I added to my previous post:

As for senior level, I'm not sure. Given her age, presumably Akiko Suzuki did.

TryMeLater

On the Ice
Sorry, I mis-read the question. But, I realised as soon as I submitted it, and tried to edit it before you noticed! But, you were too quick off the mark! ;)

Got to learn to type quicker... :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

EDIT: Here is the bit I added to my previous post:

You are correct :), I forgot that she is 28.

Alex D

Record Breaker
Other than Carolina Kostner, Jenna McCorkel and Miki Ando,

Pretty much every Lady that was part of the pre seasons leading to the 2004 Worlds when the 6.0 was used last. Valentina Marchei, Jelena Glebova (Estoinian Champs), Akiko etc. But there are also some Ladies in the pairs bracket, that did compete pre 2004 Worlds. Tatiana for instance or ;)

Buttercup

Record Breaker
AFAIK, these are the active skaters who competed internationally as seniors under 6.0:

Ladies
Carolina Kostner
Valentina Marchei
Jenna McCorkell
Akiko Suzuki
Miki Ando

Akiko Suzuki was the first of these ladies to skate in a senior event: she finished 8th as an almost-17-year-old at 2002 4CC (this was her SP), in what I think was her sole 6.0 competition at the senior level. I imagine Kostner skated in the the most 6.0 competitions.

Men
Evgeni Plushenko
Brian Joubert
Daisuke Takahashi
Tomas Verner

Pairs
Pang/Tong
Hao Zhang, Aliona Savchenko, Yuko Kavaguti, Tatiana Volosozhar - all with previous partners.

Dance
Pechalat/Bourzat

Plushenko, Savchenko and P/T made their senior debuts in the 1990s.

There are also a fair number of skaters who competed under 6.0 at the national level or as juniors.

Thanks for the information, Buttercup! Your list reminds me of how many current skaters have had really long careers. That's really unusual for ladies especially. I'm glad to see so many with such staying power.

Was Alissa Czisny a senior at that point?

And, if you count her as active, there's always Suguri.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
I think some of the older still-active (or comeback) European skaters like Fleur Maxwell and Isabelle Pieman started senior careers at the end of the 6.0 era.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I think some of the older still-active (or comeback) European skaters like Fleur Maxwell and Isabelle Pieman started senior careers at the end of the 6.0 era.
I checked - Pieman skated at the 2003 Merano Cup. This article has Fleur Maxwell debuting at the 2005 Europeans, but according to her ISU bio she skated at the 2004 Challenge Cup, presumably as a senior. I couldn't find any other 6.0 events for either of them. Candice Didier has also been around since 2003-4. She has no international assignments at the moment, but did compete at the French Masters so maybe they'll send her to some senior B?

Olga Bestandigova is another pairs skater who competed under 6.0 and is now skating with a different partner, but hers is a fairly unusual story by any standards ;)

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Well, one competition apiece as a senior under 6.0 still meets the criteria of the original question, n'est pas? I think the overall takeaway from this thread is that there are darn few who did seniors under both systems....and after this season's retirements, maybe even fewer...or none. Then the Guard will truly have been changed.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Well, one competition apiece as a senior under 6.0 still meets the criteria of the original question, n'est pas? I think the overall takeaway from this thread is that there are darn few who did seniors under both systems....and after this season's retirements, maybe even fewer...or none. Then the Guard will truly have been changed.
Well, yes - I only checked after you mentioned those two, it hadn't occurred to me that Maxwell was old enough to have competed pre-IJS and I forgot about Pieman. Anyway, that's a yes on Pieman and a probably on Maxwell. Pieman had one international competition per season in 2003-2006; very strange as there is no shortage of senior Bs in Europe.

I figure Zhang and Cheng might compete a while longer, and if the unthinkable happens and V/T don't win the OGM, they could continue. So that's potentially two last skaters from the 6.0 period who could stick around. But I don't see any of the others mentioned competing past this season; most are already on record as saying that they'll retire (e.g. Joubert, Verner, P/B, I think Suzuki).

TryMeLater

On the Ice
Thank you all for the information.
It's really interesting that 2 woman from the list are world champions, and another is world bronze medalist despite starting under 6.0.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Thank you all for the information.
It's really interesting that 2 woman from the list are world champions, and another is world bronze medalist despite starting under 6.0.
I think the IJS really plays to Kostner's strengths and likely allowed her to skate for more years than she would have under 6.0. Suzuki had an unusual career, with a long break from competition when she was starting out as a senior; it took her a while to make up for lost time.

For that matter, Zhang is an Olympic & world's silver medallist.
It's the 6.0 men who are the most accomplished, though - Plushenko of course with Olympic medals under both systems, and Takahashi and Joubert both have stellar competitive records, including world titles (and an Olympic medal for Dai) and other major accomplishments. Even Tomas Verner managed a Euro title and some respectable performances at Worlds.