This and That- Golden Skate style | Golden Skate

This and That- Golden Skate style

skateluvr

Record Breaker
It occurred to me that while not everyone likes jenny and dave, we have as much collective knowledge and opinions as they do. Well, not me particularly, BUT MANY OF YOU!

I don't know if this is a viable thread, but anything could be discussed that might not require or merit its own thread. I wanted to mention the upcoming disson shows. I do not know what they are, but we know people sing live, as people skate. maybe we can influence next season, or late season in 2014 after Oly years. I just saw Jackie Evancho (self birthday treat-don't ask my age-sad!) who really needs stage craft lessons, but the voice at 13 is lovely. zShe was runner up to x-factor or America's got Talent at age 10. She was exceptionally talented with a mature voice and also a physically beautiful child. It was like watching an Angel. 3 CDs later she is not tearing up the charts as she is very much like Charlotte Church in an age of kids like Miley Cyrus (ugh).

I really would like to see her sing on a disson show if she has not already. I know she would have had MK fans crying as she sang "Reflections" from Mulan, and Phantom fans crying at how good she was. Lastly Christians crying at the Our Father. Every song was really perfect for a skater. I could see Sasha skating to several. Have you seen Jackie? I have 1 CD. I don't see a long career here due to her voice not being commercial, and she basically just stands and sings with an orchestra behind her, but she'd be perfect for a Disson Show. The blond beauty and stunning gowns. Who and what music do you want to see on the skating shows? And are you a Jackie Evancho fan? So this and that thread begins with who do you want to see singing on Disson? What music? and for what skater? Any other short term topics are good for GS version of 'This and That.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I love Jackie E., but my big beef with these shows is that the camera focuses on the singer when we skating fans don't want it off the skaters. I have stopped watching these shows for that reason.

I wonder if other skating fans feel the same way.

I love Jackie E., but my big beef with these shows is that the camera focuses on the singer when we skating fans don't want it off the skaters. I have stopped watching these shows for that reason.

I wonder if other skating fans feel the same way.

I get annoyed that the camera focuses on the singer as well, but since the Disson shows are almost the only game in town these days, I put up with it. At least skaters get a chance to perform on TV, and we get a chance to see them.

I like Jackie Evancho also. Her voice is interesting for a young girl--it has almost a mezzo coloration to it rather than the treble that little girls often have. I'm curious to see how her voice matures. As for her performance range, in that regard she's in the style of Andrea Bocelli, Charlotte Church, and probably Katherine Jenkiins (the contestant on Dancing with the Stars who was referred to by the announcer as a "classical singer"). They just stand onstage and sing while a large orchestra and perhaps a chorus backs them up. I tend to find that a bit static myself, but more because of the limited range of the music rather than the lack of a stage performance. All the songs tend to be slow and stately, with lush orchestration and the same degree of loudness to the voice and the instruments. Music in this style includes love songs from a limited number of musicals (lots of Andrew Lloyd Webber), hymns (but only certain ones--can you just imagine a rousing rendition of Bach's "If Thou Wouldst Suffer God to Guide Thee"?), a select few operatic arias, and Neapolitan songs. I consider such music to be a gateway to classical music and opera, and as such it serves a great purpose, but I'd love to see these singers broaden out and take their audiences further into the possibilities of classical singing. Example: most of the male singers perform Puccini's "Nessun Dorma," but none of them ever sings anything by Mascagni. (Except Pavarotti, one of the Three Tenors, but understandably he's got a bit more of a high-octane engine to work with!)

Pavarotti used concerts like this as a form of play (and easy money--can't blame him for that), while he did his more intricate work elsewhere. My worry about someone like Jackie Evancho is that because she's so successful at such an early age, she'll never have time or incentive to build on her technique and repertoire so she can become a really impressive singer. Will she ever learn Richard Strauss's ravishing Four Last Songs? Something with a more demanding rhythm from Carmen? I sure hope so.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Iteresting post, O. I see Jackie not holding the notes. But her angelic aura is there. I'd like to see Aaron Neville do Disson, now that man can sing. I wonder if Charlotte still sings anyone?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'd rather they use something other than Mannheim Steamroller for the Christmas show this year.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I have always liked watching competitions more than programs like Disson. But, and it is a big but :laugh:, I have now learned to like them. I think it is because a lot of the cheesefest competitions are gone and tv coverage of real competitions is so limited. Golly, I don't even mind the somewhat hokey commercials that the skaters do!

I'm now headed off to buy some Musselmen's applesauce and check out the Pandora bracelets :p

I have always liked watching competitions more than programs like Disson. But, and it is a big but :laugh:, I have now learned to like them. I think it is because a lot of the cheesefest competitions are gone and tv coverage of real competitions is so limited. Golly, I don't even mind the somewhat hokey commercials that the skaters do!

I'm now headed off to buy some Musselmen's applesauce and check out the Pandora bracelets :p

At least the shows are sponsoring products that I wouldn't be ashamed to use. McCormick spices are healthful, as is Musselman's applesauce--I think they make an unsweetened version. I'm not much for jewelry, but Pandora does nice items.

Besides, aren't these shows filmed during a live ice show? It's great to know that there's a live production that people can still find and attend in the U.S.

Skateluvr, I'd like to see Aaron Neville sing on a Disson show, too.