Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Today Nationwide glitch stops people from getting food

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Olympia, When I lived in VT, volunteerism was not exactly voluntary. We would go to the yearly school budget meeting and be told, "We cannot afford to hire an extra school lunch lady to help the cook without raising taxes. Does everyone vote to fill in with volunteers? The vote passes. OK, every parent with a kid in school will be volunteering. Here's the signup sheet. Take a vacation day from work and do it (and I did my two days a school year with 2 of my 10 days a year vacation days...) Such is volunteering in a very small town.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Olympia, When I lived in VT, volunteerism was not exactly voluntary. We would go to the yearly school budget meeting and be told, "We cannot afford to hire an extra school lunch lady to help the cook without raising taxes. Does everyone vote to fill in with volunteers? The vote passes. OK, every parent with a kid in school will be volunteering. Here's the signup sheet. Take a vacation day from work and do it (and I did my two days a school year with 2 of my 10 days a year vacation days...) Such is volunteering in a very small town.
    Interesting. Knowing what I know about Vermont, that makes sense. I wish that were logistically possible everywhere, because it gives everyone a stake in the community.

It does.

When I moved to a small town in NY from Underhill (well not as small as Underhill Center), I was amazed that no one ever asked me to volunteer for anything. (I clearly was not with it with how volunteering is done in NY. They expect you to find them, to know by osmosis or something what town projects need volunteers. Consequently, they don't get that many.)

I LEARN A LOT FROM YOU LADIES. I would add no one wants to be on any program if they were raised to be independent by parents who live in the depression, and fought a war for this country. I was amazed when I got food stamps I could buy tv dinner full of salt. My BP is a problem now-God only knows the mess in my body. But I couldn't buy a rotisserie chicken, nor the lasaga made there. I have no clue how people get cash. I am diabetic,lactose intolerant. The food pantries are all empty and consist of white flour, peanut butter with much salt. I cannot get there. I live in a large bldg. and there is no community. I can tell you lonliness kills.

And as we have more billionaires we have more working poor to keep them in billions. Walmart is a very poor corporate model. I often cannot find a cart, yet they are cheaper. I detest their ways and find no help. I understand your views Toni, and understand why Sarah Palin thinks as she does. It is better to err on the side of charity than to be angry re abusers. I see them too. I was a social worker. But entitlements did not bankrupt this country, and cutting 40 billion from food stamps over 10 years, five percent (thank you rich sentors and congress) will mean people starve. The middle class lost much wealth in 2008.

The concentration of wealth into a few hands is causing starvation, child trafficking, child labor. I pray God IS coming as our planet steams up and disasters strike every day in many places. Remember that religious groups never ask about need. Those who are playing the govt game and could do more ultimately answer to a higher power. I get taken advantage of a lot. But if I can offer a roof or some change, even to a user, at least I don't wonder if I followed the gospel directives.

It is a corrupt world. I want term limits and I hope those who were gleeful about the brink they bring us to learn that election time cometh. I read recently about a congressional junket. Each person got 166.00 a day for food.

Please talk about the real abusers in DC with 50.00 filet mignon and 10.00 martinis a staple lunch. I have seen it all. And I have hope that more leaders like Pope Francis will challenge other leaders who ask money 24/7 for tv shows and not ministry. Religious leaders often live high as well, but everyone will individually answer. There really are realities beyond this world, I finally believe, and all we have is our service t others. My family-cousins etc. Ever. The govt is keeping me alive-marginally, and with few services. No one wants to live like this. BTW, welfare as we know it became extinct under Clinton. one child cap for two years and you are done.

I wish I could get people to watch C Span-not reality TV-as mos poor folks do not know how govt. works, and what they see on the news makes them feel hopeless. There was no reason for this shutdown. And people were terrified. I signed a petition to stop Congress pay. Until Americans get savvy and Angry, we will continue to live like it is stil 1918. We have gone backward, and if you can work and takecare of yourself, thank God or your good luck every day. I had no cable til 2001 and went nowhere for 18 years. I knew worse times were coming. The middle class was attacked first under Reagan...and women and children suffer most.

Without family, one is lost. Not everyone has the family you do. sadly, TV, Internet and Phones captivte the young. I would be working two jobs like I used to. I could not fight and win the medical people that disabled me. Please know that you will not always be invulnerable. There, but for luck, go you. (or the grace of God if you prefer). I started a petition, but mine never take off. I want the Gop to empty its coffers into the IRS. 32 Billion was lost, at least in 16 scary days. Someone-he people who did this(Koch controlled Ted Cruz and tea baggers) should pay. But they won't. They are too powerful. I hope they don.t do this in 3 months AGAIN! aND MAY THEY BE TARRED AND FEATHERED IN THE ROTUNDA IF THEY DO. Much was lost-not a thing gained.

Custom Title
    On the other hand, we owe a great debt to the ladies. The women of the Senate worked together across party lines to get things started. Let's hear it for Senators Collins, Murkowski (Go, Alaska!), Ayotte, Mikulski, and the rest, who kept talking while the guys ran around puffing out their chests. I'm only sorry that Olympia Snowe of Maine gave up and left in disgust at the end of her last term, because she'd have added power to the group. Thank God these stalwart legislators didn't give up.

Yes, the women-Hilary please say yes!

My grandparents are good friends with the Murkowski's, that's the only thing in my eyes going for them... neither Lisa nor her Dad are people that are ethically all that great. Her dad as governor did a lot of frivilous spending (Palin, as much as we all like to rag on her at least cleaned up his mess before leaving her own). Lisa Murkowski jumps positions too often to really say she has any integrity. She follows polls and money. She got her position originally because her daddy appointed her (he went from Senator to Governor mid term). Then she lost the primary to an even lower life politician, so she ran a write in campaign and won that way (at the time I had more faith in her). She's been so wishy washy since then it's just been pathetic. Neither of Alaska's Senators make me ready to cheer "Go Alaska!" when it comes to DC politics.

Our ONE House Representative probably should retire (he's been there since forever), but we can't seem to find someone better or even decent. (He dated my grandmother in high school, in California, it's a small world in Alaska.) He tries to get stuff done, but the AK Senators don't work together much less with him so it's just a big mess.

/rant

Meanwhile I read in my paper the other day that Meals on Wheels here only delivers 4 days a week now, and has for some time, due to the "sequester." What are the clients supposed to do the other 3 days?

Custom Title
    That's awful, Doris!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2