Thread: Who are the campiest skaters?

Hybrid View

Banned

Who are the campiest skaters?

Ok, so there are some skaters that are fine technically but still seem to exude an aura of pure camp that makes for amusing viewing but anti-serious contemplation. I put skaters like Alena Leonova, Ross Miner, Johnny Weir, etc. in this category. It's not that they're bad skaters per se...but something about them just screams "I'm on fire!" Who do you put in this category?

I think 99% of exhibition numbers qualify as camp...

Custom Title
    Well a lot of ice dancers are camp for sure. Johnny Weir would imho be the campiest on and off the ice.

I don't know if this is considered campy but I love this program:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPha6cAimbo

..and the exhibition version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNnFektQlYU

Quote Originally Posted by jennyanydots View Post
    ..and the exhibition version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=893uibmB4Qs
    Your link is actually Kanako's LP from Japan Open. Do you mean this one?

Quote Originally Posted by yuki View Post
    Your link is actually Kanako's LP from Japan Open. Do you mean this one?
    Oops, sorry. Fixed it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    I think 99% of exhibition numbers qualify as camp...
    Javier Fernandez.

Custom Title
    I think Brezina has a touch of camp, and so does Machida and Trankov. Jason Brown too.

For the ladies, well Osmond, I thought Yuna's Bond Girl had a touch of camp but in a glittery disco girl kind of way, Leonova and Radionova.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Bending the rules a bit:

The campest coach has got to be Tatiana Tarasova.

The very bright dresses with all the ruffles, the big hair (sometimes), and especially those lux fur coats.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    Bending the rules a bit:

The very bright dresses with all the ruffles, the big hair (sometimes), and especially those lux fur coats.
    totally

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    Bending the rules a bit:

TOTALLY. There used to be a blogger on Aunt Joyce's site by the nom de plume Tarasova's Mink, which I thought was a genius screen name.

Of course much depends on how you are defining camp...

But by any definition, the DomShab's Aborigine program may be THE camp program of all time (though there are many many other contenders as well).

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by bump View Post
    Ok, so there are some skaters that are fine technically but still seem to exude an aura of pure camp that makes for amusing viewing but anti-serious contemplation. I put skaters like Alena Leonova, Ross Miner, Johnny Weir, etc. in this category. It's not that they're bad skaters per se...but something about them just screams "I'm on fire!" Who do you put in this category?
    I'm curious why you put Ross in this category? Can you give us an example for him?

Custom Title
    Are we talking about competition programs or EX programs? I wouldn't count most competitive programs as campy --not even Johnny "Swan", say what you will about the costume. (By the way, have you noticed that Elena Ilinykh is wearing a single red glove in their Swan Lake this season? ) Zhiganshina/ Gazsi's zombie program from last year and S/S Pink Panther are two recent programs that I think are definitely campy, however.

Exhibition skates, on the other hand, are a treasure trove of camp! Yes, Plushy's Sex Bomb is an obvious one, as is Javi's last season's EX. One of my favorite campy performances from the past is Anissina and Peizerat's Suzanna: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EQkpLWPlOY
    The campiest performance I've seen live was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iodhXLVmEMI
    I frankly can't imagine anyone else who could have done justice to that insane costume

Custom Title
    If we are talking about trashy camp, then N. Morozov....
    Mishin's skaters are routinely campy as well.

Although I think the uses of the word "camp" now is quite differently from Sontag's definition (she didn't define it that well anyway). She really just meant what we call "hipster humor/irony" now, like putting a very designed "no peeing" sign on a toilet. I can't think of a single skater now who is that hipster. Even if they are, they probably have to hide it anyway. Athletes and hipsters don't usually mingle...Sex Bomb was just a well-mediated performance, nothing campy about it. Johnny Weir is plain gay, not so much camp. Tomas Verner maybe, as I often feel he seems to sell his programs exactly the way they aren't. Florent Amodio perhaps, though he could actually be sincere. Kurt Browning, most definitely. Adam Rippon is, but not the skater him. The campist of it all could very well be Lysacek, though it's very much closet, I suppose.

Custom Title
    I am not sure of the definition of camp here but I think camp would refer to over the top exaggeration acting or almost flamboyancy ie. Amodio, Plushy, Johnny (although moreso off the ice - note this has nothing with him being gay or not), I use camp to describe people who sometimes feign or act "drama and I am an artist ie. Boitano's stare into the sky and maybe Evan - it isn't organic or within them it is taught or learned and they perform it - fairly well. Some just can't act ie Carolina or Mirai Some people should be sent to camp lol. Daisuke has it within him and Patrick can never be over the top - he has that Asian reserve system it would seem (lol). Rudi Galindo is camp every which way but loose. Laurent Tobel camp - so odd looking but when he camps it up it works. Sometimes camp can be confused with Vamp ie Katarina witt, Marina Anissina, Natalia Bestmianova, Oksana / pasha Gritschuk. Let's not discuss who is a tramp. There is too much camp and vamp that it sometimes causes a cramp. (had to have some fun)