Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Who are the campiest skaters?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Although not generally campy skaters, you've got to give Yagudin's One banana program and DomShabs Aborigine OD a high camp rating.

For those not from US or the UK: (and those from the US & UK, note that "camp" is not quite the same word in the 2 countries.

camp: (UK, Cambridge Dictionary)
    1› (of a man) behaving and dressing in a way that some people think is typical of a gay man: What's the name of that amazingly camp actor with the high voice and a funny walk?
    2› using bright colours, loud sounds, unusual behaviour, etc. in a humorous way: Their shows are always incredibly camp and flamboyant.

US: online Dictionary
    camp 2 (kmp)
    n.
    1. An affectation or appreciation of manners and tastes commonly thought to be artificial, vulgar, or banal.

2. Banality, vulgarity, or artificiality when deliberately affected or when appreciated for its humor: "Camp is popularity plus vulgarity plus innocence" (Indra Jahalani).

adj.
    Having deliberately artificial, vulgar, banal, or affectedly humorous qualities or style: played up the silliness of their roles for camp effect.
    v.camped, camp·ing, camps
    v.intr.
    To act in a deliberately artificial, vulgar, or banal way.
    v.tr.
    To give a deliberately artificial, vulgar, or banal quality to: camped up their cowboy costumes with chaps, tin stars,
    So Plushy's Sex bomb, broken large flower or baby sex bomb exhibitions could fit one of the other definition of camp. His competitive programs, not, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    He's good now, but I mean when he was younger he was campier. Actually my favorite program of his, the 99-00 LP to folk music, had a lot of silly hand movements in the slow section, before the second 3A.
    I remember. Thanks.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by bump View Post
    Ok, so there are some skaters that are fine technically but still seem to exude an aura of pure camp that makes for amusing viewing but anti-serious contemplation. I put skaters like Alena Leonova, Ross Miner, Johnny Weir, etc. in this category. It's not that they're bad skaters per se...but something about them just screams "I'm on fire!" Who do you put in this category?
    I'm curious why you put Ross in this category? Can you give us an example for him?

Custom Title
    Are we talking about competition programs or EX programs? I wouldn't count most competitive programs as campy --not even Johnny "Swan", say what you will about the costume. (By the way, have you noticed that Elena Ilinykh is wearing a single red glove in their Swan Lake this season? ) Zhiganshina/ Gazsi's zombie program from last year and S/S Pink Panther are two recent programs that I think are definitely campy, however.

Exhibition skates, on the other hand, are a treasure trove of camp! Yes, Plushy's Sex Bomb is an obvious one, as is Javi's last season's EX. One of my favorite campy performances from the past is Anissina and Peizerat's Suzanna: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EQkpLWPlOY
    The campiest performance I've seen live was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iodhXLVmEMI
    I frankly can't imagine anyone else who could have done justice to that insane costume

Custom Title
    If we are talking about trashy camp, then N. Morozov....
    Mishin's skaters are routinely campy as well.

Although I think the uses of the word "camp" now is quite differently from Sontag's definition (she didn't define it that well anyway). She really just meant what we call "hipster humor/irony" now, like putting a very designed "no peeing" sign on a toilet. I can't think of a single skater now who is that hipster. Even if they are, they probably have to hide it anyway. Athletes and hipsters don't usually mingle...Sex Bomb was just a well-mediated performance, nothing campy about it. Johnny Weir is plain gay, not so much camp. Tomas Verner maybe, as I often feel he seems to sell his programs exactly the way they aren't. Florent Amodio perhaps, though he could actually be sincere. Kurt Browning, most definitely. Adam Rippon is, but not the skater him. The campist of it all could very well be Lysacek, though it's very much closet, I suppose.

Custom Title
    I am not sure of the definition of camp here but I think camp would refer to over the top exaggeration acting or almost flamboyancy ie. Amodio, Plushy, Johnny (although moreso off the ice - note this has nothing with him being gay or not), I use camp to describe people who sometimes feign or act "drama and I am an artist ie. Boitano's stare into the sky and maybe Evan - it isn't organic or within them it is taught or learned and they perform it - fairly well. Some just can't act ie Carolina or Mirai Some people should be sent to camp lol. Daisuke has it within him and Patrick can never be over the top - he has that Asian reserve system it would seem (lol). Rudi Galindo is camp every which way but loose. Laurent Tobel camp - so odd looking but when he camps it up it works. Sometimes camp can be confused with Vamp ie Katarina witt, Marina Anissina, Natalia Bestmianova, Oksana / pasha Gritschuk. Let's not discuss who is a tramp. There is too much camp and vamp that it sometimes causes a cramp. (had to have some fun)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    Bending the rules a bit:

The campest coach has got to be Tatiana Tarasova.

The very bright dresses with all the ruffles, the big hair (sometimes), and especially those lux fur coats.

TOTALLY. There used to be a blogger on Aunt Joyce's site by the nom de plume Tarasova's Mink, which I thought was a genius screen name.

Of course much depends on how you are defining camp...

But by any definition, the DomShab's Aborigine program may be THE camp program of all time (though there are many many other contenders as well).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    But by any definition, the DomShab's Aborigine program may be THE camp program of all time (though there are many many other contenders as well).
    The tricky thing is always that Camp and Embarrassment are adjoining nations, and Dom&Shab blithely crossed the frontier with all the delicacy of an out-of-control tank, flattening warning signs and border posts en route, as well as any border guards desperately trying to wave them away .

Custom Title
    Before get into the discussion, what is camp?

According to Wiki:

Camp is an aesthetic sensibility that regards something as appealing or humorous because of its ridiculousness to the viewer.[1] The concept is related to kitsch, and things with camp appeal may also be described as being "cheesy". When the usage appeared, in 1909, it denoted: ostentatious, exaggerated, affected, theatrical, and effeminate behaviour, and, by the middle of the 1970s, the definition comprised: banality, artifice, mediocrity, and ostentation so extreme as to have perversely sophisticated appeal.
    Of course some of the definition is neutral or slightly positive, but I have the feeling that this word is kind of derogatory term. If so, some of the examples give in this thread are not really that camp.

Just to express my confusion since I cannot sense whether camp is a good thing or bad thing if only judging from the posts I read in this thread.

I wouldn't describe Ross Miner as a "campy" skater, either.

Exactly, if Ross is camp then Todd is camp, too. (Of course neither were, nor are.)

This exhibition by Plushenko probably meets the definition of camp
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzZCc5nQ8-E

As does this one by Brasseur and Eisler
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdzG9SDXZDQ

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    This exhibition by Plushenko probably meets the definition of camp
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzZCc5nQ8-E
    Well I don't understand what is camp, if this is a campy exhibition. For me this is cute, funny, unusual. Probably I won't ever understand what it means campy..

Campy does not mean necessarily bad or good or enjoyable or nonenjoyable or funny or not funny (although at least one def. of camp feels funny is necessary to camp style.. It is a style. You may laugh at or like some performances in the style and dislike others.

Pretty much any straight guy dressing up in drag (like Lloyd Eisler in the Patricia the Stripper routine) or Plushy in the 2004 EX probably is camp, IMO-but mine is not the deciding one! Yours is!

I'm still wondering how the OP thinks Ross is camp?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by yaya124 View Post
    Before get into the discussion, what is camp?

According to Wiki:

Of course some of the definition is neutral or slightly positive, but I have the feeling that this word is kind of derogatory term. If so, some of the examples give in this thread are not really that camp.

Just to express my confusion since I cannot sense whether camp is a good thing or bad thing if only judging from the posts I read in this thread.
    There are those of us who LOVE camp. There is something quite wonderful about a camp performance (I live to hear Patty Duke exclaim, Boobies! Boobies! Boobies! in Valley of the Dolls, one of the great camp movies of all time). Life's hard enough. Why not celebrate the silly, the ostentatious, the so-bad-it'-good?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast