Who are the campiest skaters? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who are the campiest skaters?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am not sure of the definition of camp here but I think camp would refer to over the top exaggeration acting or almost flamboyancy ie. Amodio, Plushy, Johnny (although moreso off the ice - note this has nothing with him being gay or not), I use camp to describe people who sometimes feign or act "drama and I am an artist ie. Boitano's stare into the sky and maybe Evan - it isn't organic or within them it is taught or learned and they perform it - fairly well. Some just can't act ie Carolina or Mirai Some people should be sent to camp lol. Daisuke has it within him and Patrick can never be over the top - he has that Asian reserve system it would seem (lol). Rudi Galindo is camp every which way but loose. Laurent Tobel camp - so odd looking but when he camps it up it works. Sometimes camp can be confused with Vamp ie Katarina witt, Marina Anissina, Natalia Bestmianova, Oksana / pasha Gritschuk. Let's not discuss who is a tramp. There is too much camp and vamp that it sometimes causes a cramp. (had to have some fun)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Bending the rules a bit:

The campest coach has got to be Tatiana Tarasova.

The very bright dresses with all the ruffles, the big hair (sometimes), and especially those lux fur coats.

TOTALLY. There used to be a blogger on Aunt Joyce's site by the nom de plume Tarasova's Mink, which I thought was a genius screen name.

Of course much depends on how you are defining camp...

But by any definition, the DomShab's Aborigine program may be THE camp program of all time (though there are many many other contenders as well).

Robeye

Final Flight
But by any definition, the DomShab's Aborigine program may be THE camp program of all time (though there are many many other contenders as well).
The tricky thing is always that Camp and Embarrassment are adjoining nations, and Dom&Shab blithely crossed the frontier with all the delicacy of an out-of-control tank, flattening warning signs and border posts en route, as well as any border guards desperately trying to wave them away :laugh:.

yaya124

On the Ice
Before get into the discussion, what is camp?

According to Wiki:

Camp is an aesthetic sensibility that regards something as appealing or humorous because of its ridiculousness to the viewer.[1] The concept is related to kitsch, and things with camp appeal may also be described as being "cheesy". When the usage appeared, in 1909, it denoted: ostentatious, exaggerated, affected, theatrical, and effeminate behaviour, and, by the middle of the 1970s, the definition comprised: banality, artifice, mediocrity, and ostentation so extreme as to have perversely sophisticated appeal.

Of course some of the definition is neutral or slightly positive, but I have the feeling that this word is kind of derogatory term. If so, some of the examples give in this thread are not really that camp.

Just to express my confusion since I cannot sense whether camp is a good thing or bad thing if only judging from the posts I read in this thread. :confused:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Exactly, if Ross is camp then Todd is camp, too. (Of course neither were, nor are.)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Campy does not mean necessarily bad or good or enjoyable or nonenjoyable or funny or not funny (although at least one def. of camp feels funny is necessary to camp style.. It is a style. You may laugh at or like some performances in the style and dislike others.

Pretty much any straight guy dressing up in drag (like Lloyd Eisler in the Patricia the Stripper routine) or Plushy in the 2004 EX probably is camp, IMO-but mine is not the deciding one! Yours is!

I'm still wondering how the OP thinks Ross is camp?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Before get into the discussion, what is camp?

According to Wiki:

Of course some of the definition is neutral or slightly positive, but I have the feeling that this word is kind of derogatory term. If so, some of the examples give in this thread are not really that camp.

Just to express my confusion since I cannot sense whether camp is a good thing or bad thing if only judging from the posts I read in this thread. :confused:

There are those of us who LOVE camp. There is something quite wonderful about a camp performance (I live to hear Patty Duke exclaim, Boobies! Boobies! Boobies! in Valley of the Dolls, one of the great camp movies of all time). Life's hard enough. Why not celebrate the silly, the ostentatious, the so-bad-it'-good?

bump

Match Penalty
Eh, I just sort of added Ross in as a stand-in for most of the American men who are likely to make the Olympic squad this year...they all look like they came off the musical theater bandwagon and diva it up on a regular basis. Ross, Jeremy, Adam...for some reason there is something very lightweight about all of them. Perhaps it's due to their very feminine looks and demeanors...they simply don't convey "solid" when I see them skate. Instead, they seem to convey "you go girl!" more than deep artistry. Hence, they're all rather campy.

lcd

Match Penalty
I think it is hysterical how Ross has gotten weaved into this thread. I would have never ever expected it :laugh:

80sskatergirl

Rinkside
I think it is hysterical how Ross has gotten weaved into this thread. I would have never ever expected it :laugh:

I agree! And if anything I think Ross exudes "overly straight guy" image! I don't think he looks feminine at all, quite the opposite I think! I do think some of his moves sometimes are a little "cheesy" (running stance at the beginning of his new "Boston Strong" program), so maybe he is campy in that respect. I am a huge fan of his though!:biggrin:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
When the previous thread discussing campiness and camp was active, I read most of the posts there. Sorry that I have not paid equal attention to this thread. But will jump in and add my two cents:

In the eye of this beholder, campiness (among male skaters) has nothing to do with looking feminine.

Campiness has everything to do with cheesiness, especially intentional cheesiness.

And the point was made in the previous thread (and perhaps also in this one??) that many skaters have performed campy programs (esp. exhibition programs) at one time or another.
Whether campy is apt as an overall description of a skater is a separate question.

We had this problem a few months ago: camp means something slightly different in different locations. I think we ought to go with Golden's "cheesiness, especially intentional cheesiness." In that case, we could add Philippe Candeloro, who did over-the-top skating even at the Olympics, and won bronze at two games in a row. I always loved him; he seemed to enjoy skating so much, and his enjoyment was contagious.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
There was one year when most of the French team was campy (1997 or 1998?). Laurent Tobel, Stannick Jeanette, Vanessa Gusmeroli, and Abitbol/Bernadis all had such campy programs that year.

noskates

Record Breaker
Ross Miner campy? To me he screams "vanillllllllllllllllllllllllllla!" But I always get a chuckle when someone posts something that isn't completely gushy over Plushenko. Plushyfan breaks all speed records posting with a challenge! Bwahahaha. Quite frankly, I've always felt when Plush tried to be sexy that it was just a bit campy. I don't care who choreographed it.

Who was the French male skater that did an exhibition in a ballet tutu? I always thought his programs were a bit strangely campy. Florent Amodio most definitely. I think there are programs that would qualify but not necessarily the skater's entire repertoire.

And yes, Johnny is campy but then he works pretty hard at it. I've said this before....I always wished he would wear black pants, a black shirt with blousy sleeves, no gunk in his hair and JUST SKATE!!!!!

Who was the French male skater that did an exhibition in a ballet tutu? I always thought his programs were a bit strangely campy.

As I recall, that was Laurent Tobel. I think he was also very tall, so he quite a sight to behold on the ice.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Hmm, as far as I can tell there is absolutely NOTHING campy about Ross Miner, but that's just goes to show how slippery the definition of camp truly is.

RABID

Final Flight
Elvis Stojko. His kung fu nonsense and other representations of skating machismo were an embarrassment. He was so demonstrably anti-campi that he was the campiest of them all. ;)