Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Who are the campiest skaters?

Banned
    Eh, I just sort of added Ross in as a stand-in for most of the American men who are likely to make the Olympic squad this year...they all look like they came off the musical theater bandwagon and diva it up on a regular basis. Ross, Jeremy, Adam...for some reason there is something very lightweight about all of them. Perhaps it's due to their very feminine looks and demeanors...they simply don't convey "solid" when I see them skate. Instead, they seem to convey "you go girl!" more than deep artistry. Hence, they're all rather campy.

Custom Title
    I think it is hysterical how Ross has gotten weaved into this thread. I would have never ever expected it

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by lcd View Post
    I think it is hysterical how Ross has gotten weaved into this thread. I would have never ever expected it
    I agree! And if anything I think Ross exudes "overly straight guy" image! I don't think he looks feminine at all, quite the opposite I think! I do think some of his moves sometimes are a little "cheesy" (running stance at the beginning of his new "Boston Strong" program), so maybe he is campy in that respect. I am a huge fan of his though!

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    When the previous thread discussing campiness and camp was active, I read most of the posts there. Sorry that I have not paid equal attention to this thread. But will jump in and add my two cents:

In the eye of this beholder, campiness (among male skaters) has nothing to do with looking feminine.

Campiness has everything to do with cheesiness, especially intentional cheesiness.

And the point was made in the previous thread (and perhaps also in this one??) that many skaters have performed campy programs (esp. exhibition programs) at one time or another.
    Whether campy is apt as an overall description of a skater is a separate question.

Custom Title
    We had this problem a few months ago: camp means something slightly different in different locations. I think we ought to go with Golden's "cheesiness, especially intentional cheesiness." In that case, we could add Philippe Candeloro, who did over-the-top skating even at the Olympics, and won bronze at two games in a row. I always loved him; he seemed to enjoy skating so much, and his enjoyment was contagious.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    There was one year when most of the French team was campy (1997 or 1998?). Laurent Tobel, Stannick Jeanette, Vanessa Gusmeroli, and Abitbol/Bernadis all had such campy programs that year.

Custom Title
    Ross Miner campy? To me he screams "vanillllllllllllllllllllllllllla!" But I always get a chuckle when someone posts something that isn't completely gushy over Plushenko. Plushyfan breaks all speed records posting with a challenge! Bwahahaha. Quite frankly, I've always felt when Plush tried to be sexy that it was just a bit campy. I don't care who choreographed it.

Who was the French male skater that did an exhibition in a ballet tutu? I always thought his programs were a bit strangely campy. Florent Amodio most definitely. I think there are programs that would qualify but not necessarily the skater's entire repertoire.

And yes, Johnny is campy but then he works pretty hard at it. I've said this before....I always wished he would wear black pants, a black shirt with blousy sleeves, no gunk in his hair and JUST SKATE!!!!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post

Who was the French male skater that did an exhibition in a ballet tutu? I always thought his programs were a bit strangely campy.
    As I recall, that was Laurent Tobel. I think he was also very tall, so he quite a sight to behold on the ice.

Custom Title
    Hmm, as far as I can tell there is absolutely NOTHING campy about Ross Miner, but that's just goes to show how slippery the definition of camp truly is.

Elvis Stojko. His kung fu nonsense and other representations of skating machismo were an embarrassment. He was so demonstrably anti-campi that he was the campiest of them all.

Custom Title
    This is a tough survey. Figure skating by definition IS campy

Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    Ross Miner campy? To me he screams "vanillllllllllllllllllllllllllla!" But I always get a chuckle when someone posts something that isn't completely gushy over Plushenko. Plushyfan breaks all speed records posting with a challenge! Bwahahaha.
    I did? Probably But in this case you misunderstood me, because I really don't understand what is "campy". When I started to understand what is campy I read other examples , and ruined the whole thing. Tarasova is campy with her furs but campy is Plushy's Asissai program, too. I can't see any similarity. I think,that the campy doesn't mean the same thing even for the English native posters, so I will accept the explanation of Olympia.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by RABID View Post
    Elvis Stojko. His kung fu nonsense and other representations of skating machismo were an embarrassment. He was so demonstrably anti-campi that he was the campiest of them all.
    Well if Stojko was camp it was very organic - it wasn't an act it was him. I am not sure he was camp in my definition; Boitano would be camp because his was so put on - taught by Sandra Bezic t o get him Olympic glory and it worked. those stares, the flick of the head - he could be a soap opera star lol.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Yes, in that picture

and also here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQVOGeA7FJ8

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast