Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who is likely to represent the US women at Sochi?

Custom Title

Who is likely to represent the US women at Sochi?

Assuming Ashley Wagner and Gracie Gold will come first and second at nationals, though who will win may be at issue the big battle i suggest is the third and final spot for Oly glory. Who are the contenders? Well Mirai Nagasu if she skated her best one would think she would have the best shot - even winning nationals but she lately has struggled it appears a passion for the sort and under rotations. Christina Gao is dedicated taking time off from studies but rather ho hum. Caroline Zhang showed some promise twice now but has the mule kick and still skates a bit slow but a pretty skater. Agnes Zawadiak has a nice power about her. Alissa Czisny is a question mark. If it weren't her consistency with jumps it is now her injuries. her lack of triples at a recent competition does not give much confidence. Vanessa Lam is an outside shot and rather juniorish still. Rachel Flatt seems to be lacking good coaching and is busy with school. One wonders how wise is it to compete with two homemade programs and spreading herself thin one wonders does she have the consistency still and the jumps. There are more contenders too but what a dog fight.

Custom Title
    A dog fight indeed. How nice to have so many possible contenders. It's going to be an interesting season!

Custom Title
    Courtney Hicks isn't my cup of tea but she can land those jumps, and Polina Edmunds has shown in the JGP that she can rotate hers. They could surprise.

Custom Title
    Good additions chuckm. Hicks upset Gold recently. Not sure if Polina has enough polish to make the team though. Who is the front runner for no. 3. Mirai's body looks more like Caroline Zhang now taller and more filled out - these girls are still slim people please don't think I am saying they are fat. they are just built more like woman unlike Julia Lipnskaya who reminds me of Tara Lipinski though I think Julia is more refined and elegant. Small girls who rotate like tops.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Based on what I've seen so far this season... granted, that ain't much... and some of what I've seen has been on pretty shaky video...

I'm not so sure that the top 2 spots are locked up.

If I were an up-and-comer, I'd be more encouraged than I was six months ago. I'm really interested in seeing how the season progresses.

Custom Title
    Ashley would really have to have a major meltdown not to get a spot, because she did last year and still won Nationals. She should have a good season, will probably medal at Skate America and TEB on PCS alone and has a great shot of winning TEB. Gracie also should do well at Skate Canada and will medal at NHK if she skates well. With their reputations and decent skates, these two will have the best GP results of the Americans.

For the third spot, I think the two favorites are Agnes and Courtney and if both skate their best Courtney will take it. I do hope Courtney earns the spot because she is another skater like Gracie who has the technical goods to compete with the world's best over the next 4 years.

Custom Title
    Gracie is going to have to start showing more mental toughness when she skates because looking at her when she takes the ice she sometimes has that deer in the headlights look that Alissa or Mirai get. It's all about landing her jumps which should be her strong point but she gets so nervous she starts popping them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Gracie is going to have to start showing more mental toughness when she skates because looking at her when she takes the ice she sometimes has that deer in the headlights look that Alissa or Mirai get. It's all about landing her jumps which should be her strong point but she gets so nervous she starts popping them.
    Kind a funny thinking about two seasons ago she was considered as the most mentally tough girl coming up...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnamon View Post
    Kind a funny thinking about two seasons ago she was considered as the most mentally tough girl coming up...
    She had about 3 competitions under her belt at the time. Not enough to tell you how mentally tough a skater is. Plus she was a Junior and it's a whole different thing to get to the big time as a Senior skater and then have all the hype she had coming up from Juniors. With her coaching situation and all the hype it reached it's peak and was starting to really play havoc with her as could be seen in SLC. Hopefully with Frank now taking over he can settle her down. I like that he has stopped the Gracie hype in it's track and has kept her out of the limelight now.

Custom Title
    I've always loved Alissa and have been rooting for her, but unfortunately, I don't think she has any realistic chance of making it. She may have won regionals, but she didn't get credit for a single clean triple. Needless to say, you aren't going to make the Olympic team without triples. If she manages 5-6 triples at Nationals, it would redefine the words "comeback" and "underdog".

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Scout View Post
    I've always loved Alissa and have been rooting for her, but unfortunately, I don't think she has any realistic chance of making it. She may have won regionals, but she didn't get credit for a single clean triple. Needless to say, you aren't going to make the Olympic team without triples. If she manages 5-6 triples at Nationals, it would redefine the words "comeback" and "underdog".
    Wouldn't that be something to behold--Alissa doing 5 triples? Definitely a lovely vision to have.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Wouldn't that be something to behold--Alissa doing 5 triples? Definitely a lovely vision to have.
    I would be uncomfortable watching her try triples after her injury on the 3F last year. To go from no triples to five in 3 months seems very dangerous.

Gambatte, Max Aaron/"No letting off the gas pedal" golden411's Avatar
    For what they are worth, predictions from Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil as of yesterday:

Right now, I would have to say Wagner, Gao, Gold will be US women at Sochi Olympics, but Gold must show at Skate Canada she can still jump
    3:24 PM - 14 Oct 13
    https://twitter.com/olyphil/status/389879319884877824

As for the U.S. men (don't recall a GS thread dedicated to this topic), Hersh tweeted:

DoubleA: Aaron/Abbott. Best for future if Brown earned - and I mean EARNED - 2d spot. ...
    3:40 PM - 14 Oct 13
    https://twitter.com/olyphil/status/389883472526864385

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    For what they are worth, predictions from Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil as of yesterday:

Right now, I would have to say Wagner, Gao, Gold will be US women at Sochi Olympics, but Gold must show at Skate Canada she can still jump
    3:24 PM - 14 Oct 13
    https://twitter.com/olyphil/status/389879319884877824

As for the U.S. men (don't recall a GS thread dedicated to this topic), Hersh tweeted:

DoubleA: Aaron/Abbott. Best for future if Brown earned - and I mean EARNED - 2d spot. ...
    3:40 PM - 14 Oct 13
    https://twitter.com/olyphil/status/389883472526864385
    TBH, I would much rather see Farris make the US team, as he at least has a quad, is fairly consistent, and has the potential to put a decent showing. Miner I'm less sold on. Abbott and Brown are clearly the best *skaters* of the US men, but their technical content is really lacking. I could totally picture Brown's River Dance bringing the house down in Sochi, though. A clean skate that is entertaining could garner a surprisingly high placement.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    TBH, I would much rather see Farris make the US team, as he at least has a quad, is fairly consistent, and has the potential to put a decent showing. Miner I'm less sold on. Abbott and Brown are clearly the best *skaters* of the US men, but their technical content is really lacking. I could totally picture Brown's River Dance bringing the house down in Sochi, though. A clean skate that is entertaining could garner a surprisingly high placement.
    Farris is pretty inconsistent on the quad still. I can only think of a handful of times he's landed it.

Personal/Seasons Bests can be broken, but worth noting for the sake of discussion:

Personal bests of Top 10 at Nationals:

18. Jeremy Abbott 238.82 (Grand Prix Final 2011-2012)
    19. Max Aaron 238.36 (World Championship 2013)
    21. Ross Miner 235.37 (NHK Trophy 2012)
    24. Richard Dornbush 234.04 (4CC 2013)
    25. Adam Rippon 233.04 (Skate Canada 2010)
    28. Jason Brown 228.43 (Nebelhorn Trophy 2013)
    29. Joshua Farris 228.32 (World Junior Championships 2013)
    39. Stephen Carriere 218.30 (4CC 2008)
    42. Brandon Mroz 216.80 (Cup of China 2010)
    109. Alexander Johnson 187.81 (JGP J. Curry Memorial 2008)

Season's best 2012-2013 200+
    10. Max Aaron 238.36 (World Championships 2013)
    13. Ross Miner 235.37 (NHK Trophy 2012)
    16. Richard Dornbush 234.04 ( 4CC 2013)
    18. Jeremy Abbott 231.84 (WTT 2013)
    20. Joshua Farris 228.32 (World Junior Championships 2013)
    22. Jason Brown 224.15 (World Junior Championships 2013)
    29. Adam Rippon 210.47 (NHK Trophy)
    * Alex Johnson, Brandon Mroz and Stephen Carriere have no ISU Season's Best scores.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast