Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 98

Thread: Which three Japanese men will go to Sochi?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Custom Title cinnamon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    318

    Which three Japanese men will go to Sochi?

    Well, there is a thread for Japanese ladies, so why not a thread for Japanese men?
    You can express who are going / who would you like to go.
    For me it seems Daisuke and Yuzuru are pretty much promised, then I hope Tatsuki to go according to this summer's his progress.

  2. #2
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    829
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnamon View Post
    Well, there is a thread for Japanese ladies, so why not a thread for Japanese men?
    You can express who are going / who would you like to go.
    For me it seems Daisuke and Yuzuru are pretty much promised, then I hope Tatsuki to go according to this summer's his progress.
    I like the three you mentioned, however, I would also like to see Kozuka go. No matter what happens, it will be heartbreaking :(

  3. #3
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    8,966
    This is one of those moments when I wish other countries could adopt one or more of the Japanese men.

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,490
    Machida? Oda? Kozuka? Wow, how does one pick. I just can't pick one.

  5. #5
    ~high art~
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    608
    Takahiko Kozuka

  6. #6
    Custom Title cinnamon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    318
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Machida? Oda? Kozuka? Wow, how does one pick. I just can't pick one.
    They have Mura, too.

  7. #7
    Gotta Have Music iluvtodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    10,537
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    This is one of those moments when I wish other countries could adopt one or more of the Japanese men.

    Most of all, I want "Taka" to get one of those spots!

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    3,546
    From all countries Japan is in worst position as they have so many really talented male singles skaters... Impossible to predict who might be the third skater, but Takahashi and Hanyu surely are the first and second to go to the Olympics.

  9. #9
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    224
    Please let me put some information here

    "Get Sports" featured the Japanese male skaters especially 3 skaters compete in Skate America (aired on October 13).

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4lRsG59MTM

    "Hadaka-no-athlete 2" featured Yuzuru Hanyu (aired on October 12).

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZKsW...ature=youtu.be

    Machida is really looking good!! He said that he changed how he jumps the quad and it seemed working very well. Now I have no idea who are going to Sochi...

  10. #10
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    339
    well, with 3 of the Japanese men at SA and the other 3 at SC this coming week, we'll get a pretty even look at how things are shaking out.

  11. #11
    - * - blue_idealist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,664
    It might be Hanyu, Machida and either Oda or Kozuka. If you asked me before the start of this season if Takahashi would be there, I would have laughed at the possibility of him staying home. However, he has been at his worst as of late. Even as a fan I think he's at risk of not making the team. I'm not sure if Machida will hold up, either, because last year he did well on the GP and then kind of sunk a bit from there. I could even see a Hanyu/Oda/Kozuka team. Oda's another question mark since he's not that consistent either.

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,081
    Takahashi will be hard pressed to make the podium at Japanese nationals. I agree about the media attention and how he's way more prolific than any of the Japanese men, but if Oda/Hanyu/Machida do really well on the Grand Prix (as Machida already has so far and Oda/Hanyu seem poised to do), it will be really difficult to justify Takahashi's presence. Machida scored almost 30 points higher than Takahashi at Skate America. Takahashi's PCS marks will keep him up, but only until people start finally saying the emperor isn't wearing any clothes. I'm glad he rotated his quad and did his axels in his Skate America FS though, which shows he's a fighter and isn't willing to give in that quickly. He's quite fortunate Brown had a really disastrous FS, otherwise he could have been 5th. I can't remember, but skaters in the past have made the GPF with a 4th and a 1st, right?

  13. #13
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Takahashi will be hard pressed to make the podium at Japanese nationals. I agree about the media attention and how he's way more prolific than any of the Japanese men, but if Oda/Hanyu/Machida do really well on the Grand Prix (as Machida already has so far and Oda/Hanyu seem poised to do), it will be really difficult to justify Takahashi's presence. Machida scored almost 30 points higher than Takahashi at Skate America. Takahashi's PCS marks will keep him up, but only until people start finally saying the emperor isn't wearing any clothes. I'm glad he rotated his quad and did his axels in his Skate America FS though, which shows he's a fighter and isn't willing to give in that quickly. He's quite fortunate Brown had a really disastrous FS, otherwise he could have been 5th. I can't remember, but skaters in the past have made the GPF with a 4th and a 1st, right?
    Yup. Hanyu did in 2011-2012. He was fourth in Cup of China and first at Rostelecom to qualify for the GPF in Montreal.

    Takahashi has to do something drastic. NHK will be do or die for Takahashi and he will have to beat Fernandez and Oda. Can't see it unless both Oda (possible based on past years except that he skated well at Nebelhorn) and Fernandez (unlikely) cack. I have to really admire Takahashi's class by reason of the short interviews he did in English after Skate America though. But he still has to up his skating.

  14. #14
    Custom Title starryxskies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I can't remember, but skaters in the past have made the GPF with a 4th and a 1st, right?
    Javier made it last year with his gold from SC and 4th at NHK. However, NHK is still pretty stacked with Javier, Oda and the same 2 American men that placed ahead of him in SA this year.

    I can see the JFed holding Dai up so that he makes the team (if he bombs JN). He does rack in the advertising dollars... and this is the VERY last chance to milk his popularity dry. Who realistically has the chance to podium and grab OGM besides Yuzuru of the remaining 5 anyway? Yuzuru's got the podium covered already and the networks need their 2 national heroes to bring in the viewers. That would be my theory behind Yuzuru (who is a lock) and Dai making the team. The 3rd man, will either be between the "oldies" Oda and Kozuka with Olympic experience or the newer 2 without that experience. If Oda and Kozuka do well, I can see the better of the two (from GP series and JN) going. I do think Oda's history of bad performances when it counts will be taken into consideration. If Kozuka can blow his next GP out of the water and at JN, he has the upper hand against Oda. Machida and Mura haven't built that consistency yet to tackle Olympic nerves. To me, they are high risk investments. True, they are the ones staying post-Sochi but for Sochi, the fed may not want to put all their eggs into Yuzuru and an on and off Dai.

  15. #15
    Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    3,890
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I can't remember, but skaters in the past have made the GPF with a 4th and a 1st, right?
    Historically, getting 1st and 4th has always been enough to make the GPF, but this year that might not be enough. There's so much talent that is in good form.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •