Which three Japanese men will go to Sochi? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Which three Japanese men will go to Sochi?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Japan Fed may be screwing their athletes but the athletes don't make excuses
a japanese culture and mentality perhaps

I'd say the Russian fed screws their athletes more. At least in Japan it's primarily due to depth in the field that athletes miss out on opportunities (although there are of course instances where they'll show favouritism to popular athletes).

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I was in Vancouver when Johnny received his flower crown after the FS. Even in the open minded Vancouver, that pic dominated part of the media, which prompted controversy even among Radio-Canada commentators, the French version of CBC. I don't want to imagine with the heightened tension in Sochi and all the buhaha going in, how that will turn out. Know that also, Russia has a favorite son in that competition. Scapegoat is easy when things don't go certain way (read my lips: if Plushenko fails to deliever for any reason, something or someone else will be blamed, you can bet on it). It already happened once before, in case you forgot. At the Vancouver Olympics. Plushenko's scapegoat = men without quads = ladies' skating => Evan Lysacek is a girl. When wrestling will removed from the 2016 Olympics, a Russian wrestling coach immediately laid the blames on gays because supposedly, due to the perception of how wrestling is projected : for some, it's too homoerotic, for others, the effeminate people can't stand it. Of course, it can't be any more far fetched to blame wrestling's end as Olympic sports on gays but in Russia, that's nothing.
Agreed, you are preaching to the choir. Except that's now how the vast majority of people perceive it. Like it or not, stereotypes are part of our lives. Plushenko once said when he first started skating, his father was totally against it thinking it's a girl's sport. Fair or not, people's perception matter. To be a successful champion, one needs to know how to manage that on ice and off ice.

I wonder, don't you know that Johnny and Stef are the most popular foreign skaters in Russia? They have huge fan bases, despite they aren't too masculine skaters, and Russians perfectly know Johnny is gay...

I'm sure Hanyu's costume won't be disadvantageous for him, because it suits his style and his look. For example I can't imagine Fernandez or Abbott wear this costume, but fit for Hanyu, as I said.

(I also wonder the Americans are always ignored that Evan's victory was debatable not only in the eyes of the Russians but in many European and Asian countries).

inskate

On the Ice
Meanwhile if Takahashi or Hanyu miss the podium, especialy if they have done well on the Grand Prix, I would see them being named to the team without even needing "another chance".

Actually, this issue was adressed in article that was available here: http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20130620-00000034-spnannex-spo
The article has been removed (it was published shortly after the Japanese Olympic team selection criteria were published), but the translation by Akira Andrea is still available: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...ive-of-Sochi&p=3942208&viewfull=1#post3942208

To sum up the article: there will be no safety net for the previously succesfull skaters if they fail to meet the selection criteria, not even for Mao Asada.

In 2006 Miki Ando placed 6th at her Nationals and was still sent to the Olympics.

Because she qualified according to the rules. Admittedly they were stupid rules, but they were publically announced and closely scrutinized by the media. It was reported after every competition how many points each skater has collected, and who is close to making the team. IIRC, the order was:
1. Fumie
2. Miki (or was she actually 1st? I'll need to check)
3. Shizuka
4. Yoshie Onda
5. Yukari Nakano

If anything, Shizuka was close to being dumped from the team in favour of more solid Yoshie Onda, who won the LP at Nats over her (and yes, it's a big relief for Japan that that didn't happen).

In 2006 she wasnt even close to the dominant Japanese skater either- Asada (ineligible for those years Games), Shizuka, and Fumie Suguri were all considered better at that point, (...)

That's not quite true. Asada was in a class of her own, but Shizuka was struggling (had issues with spin levels and back pain due to learning to do a Biellman spin, didn't make the GPF, 3rd at Nats barely 1.3 points ahead of Yoshie Onda) and many fans thought her switching to Morozov so late in the season was a reckless idea. Fumie missed the GPF, didn't have a 3-3 or 3L and her 3S was shaky, plus her spins under early CoP were just... not good and she kept losing levels.
Yukari was on the (slow) rise, but she placed ahead of Miki at NHK/GPF barely by a couple of points, and she lost the Nationals bronze medal to Yoshie (plus, the judges never really were a big fan of her wrapped leg).

Miki's situation was a bit similar to Gracie Gold's this season - pretty girl with big jumps and big scoring potential, loved by sponsors. Yes, looking back it was visible she was starting to slump, but people, JSF including, kept hoping that she'll skate at Olympics 2006 like she eventually did at Worlds 2007.

[quotes]Again in 2010 when she was 4th. They didnt even make her go to Four Continents, she was on he team. [/quote]

Ruuuuuuuuuuules! ;)
Since the 2006 system proved to be faulty, JSF changed it to:
1st spot: the skater who places the highest on the podium at GPF.
2nd spot: the winner of the Japanese Nationals.
3rd spot: the skater who does the best at Nationals (aside from the winner), with the International results taken into consideration.

That 1st spot was gunned after by all of the skaters, as it guaranteed the qualified athlete some peace of mind at Nationals. It was actually Morozov strategy to use the time leading to Nationals as some much needed rest, as Miki strained her back at that time. There was no controversy in that - leading to the Nationals she was clearly the strongest skater (even beating YuNa in the SP at GPF).

If anything, there was some controversy on Akiko vs. Yukari, as their results at Nats were separated by merely 0.17 points, and Yukari was, arguably, more internationally accomplished. Unfortunately for Yukari, Akiko had also a GPF bronze to her name.

People also need to get off the habit of reading too much into Oda's early season performances. He always looks very strong early season, and fades as it goes.

Well, last season he did in in reverse - he had a slow start (as he was recovering from a left leg injury), but his scores from his 2 post-Nationals competitions were highest than those of the Japanese men at 4CC & Worlds, and he managed to land 4-3 in the SP for the first time since he got injured, and 2 quads in the LP for the first time ever (at Bavarian Open). His LP score at BO was 178.06 (2 quads, but doubled 3L).

Of course, one can never know how he'll handle the pressure later on, and how his leg will hold on while doing all those quads, but the potential is there, and his programs already had the EuroSport commentators tickled pink. :laugh:

inskate

On the Ice
I wonder, don't you know that Johnny and Stef are the most popular foreign skaters in Russia?

This. The opinion of some politicians shouldn't be confused with the opinion of all Russian people. I know plenty of Russian fans who love Johnny.
For that manner, I don't think Johnny's outfits - or outfits designed by him for other skaters - are likely to be scorned upon by Europeans. My (Polish Catholic) mum always loves Johnny's costumes, because, in her words, "he stands out from the black crowd". ;)

And speaking of Johnny Weir, the Japanese team and flamboyance... https://vine.co/v/hWetFaHiZPW ;) ;) ;)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Whichever 3 Japanese men are sent, I will be heartbroken for the topnotch skaters who will be left behind :cry:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I'd say the Russian fed screws their athletes more. At least in Japan it's primarily due to depth in the field that athletes miss out on opportunities (although there are of course instances where they'll show favouritism to popular athletes).

every Federation has screwed their athletes one way or another Japan, Russia, US, France, Canada etc.
I was talking about the athletes mentality, Japanese culture doesn't take blame on others
during WW2 commiting failure was merited for the soldiers to commit suicide even on the Samurai Eras of Japan

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
The same will happen if something goes wrong for Canadians or Americans, we all know they are also obsessed with conspiracies. :laugh: Russians, Canadians, Americans will make the Olympics interesting, I will just sit and enjoy the show and support my favorite skaters, as usual, despite their nationality, hair color, gays or not etc. :popcorn:

Actually Americans care so little for figure skating right now that no effort will be made at all to even conjure up an alleged conspiracy...

LRK

Record Breaker
Actually Americans care so little for figure skating right now that no effort will be made at all to even conjure up an alleged conspiracy...

Tsk! Even among our own board members? I'm shocked - shocked and saddened... Come on, where's your patriotism - put in some effort! ;)

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
The technical content Oda produced at Nebelhorn was superb and there's not much beyond that he could do. His only major error was turning his second 4T into a 3T (and not doing a 3-jump combo) and yet he still earned 92 points of TES. He essentially did more technical content than what Denis Ten did to get World silver.

Plus, we all know that the judges aren't itching to do Oda any PCS favours like World Champions V/T & former World Champion Ando. Note that he didn't get a personal best PCS score in his SP with 38.47 points (which would have been a 9th best PCS score in the 2013 Worlds SP). His PCS in the FS, with a quad and 8 triples including two 3As, was just 83.56 points. No inflation, there, IMO. His whopping score was definitely earned by his strong technical showing in both programs, and many of the World's top men would have had trouble matching that performance.

The thing with Oda is he always peak too soon and doesn't able to continue his momentum to big final events. He hasn't come close to podium since 2006 (4th and his best finish) and always flatter and make silly mistakes.

lcd

Match Penalty
Whichever 3 Japanese men are sent, I will be heartbroken for the topnotch skaters who will be left behind :cry:

Agree COMPLETELY. It is going to be the most heartbreaking Christmas holiday for some outstanding young men. I wish they ALL skate giving it their all.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
The thing with Oda is he always peak too soon and doesn't able to continue his momentum to big final events. He hasn't come close to podium since 2006 (4th and his best finish) and always flatter and make silly mistakes.

He has learned from his experiences... he's now a mature family man with other views... his wife and children support him :yay: Everyone can grow up... GO Nobunari :thumbsup:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Agree COMPLETELY. It is going to be the most heartbreaking Christmas holiday for some outstanding young men. I wish they ALL skate giving it their all.

I know! Especially with the GP results from last season! The top 6 men each have the potential to be top 10 in the world!

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
Tsk! Even among our own board members? I'm shocked - shocked and saddened... Come on, where's your patriotism - put in some effort! ;)

Hey I'm patriotic!! Watching SA now and will be cheering in my living room for Maia and Alex, and screaming for Meryl and Charlie. :laugh: Unfortunately I predict when NBC airs their broadcast on Sunday most of America will be tuned in to football.

GGoldberg

Match Penalty
Hey I'm patriotic!! Watching SA now and will be cheering in my living room for Maia and Alex, and screaming for Meryl and Charlie. :laugh: Unfortunately I predict when NBC airs their broadcast on Sunday most of America will be tuned in to football.

On top of that they will probably show the programs of single skaters throughout the broadcast with MAYBE Meryl and Charlie's FD and a snippet of the Shibs. :rolleye:

Finally, the costume - for me, it comes across as very distracting and somewhat inappropriate for the Olympics. With the controversy surrounding Russian gay rights in Sochi, would it be wise for the sport of figure skating, at least Men Singles, to be perceived as effeminate with costume like that? He is a handsome young man if you google many of his off ice pics, he has the qualities to carry the torch after Takahashi retires as Japan's poster boy. That said, he really could learn from Takahashi when it comes to fashion. Takahashi strikes a fine balance when it comes to fashion, which makes very endearing. Hanyu on the other hand seems to copy Johnny Weir from head to toe - not the wisest decision.

I know look is subjective and don't claim to be any authority when it comes to style. Though with decades in this sport, I want to believe I have keen sense of what's too far and what's not. When the Shibutani were red hot a few years ago, I knew their outward projection could eventually become a burden for them and it did. Take it however you will, appearance and how you project yourself still matter a great deal in this sport, so is the perception of the outside world beyond the skating community. We don't live in bubbles. In an Olympic year, Hanyu's choice of style and lack of improvement in his delivery presents a risk should he fails to deliver his jumping content. We are already seeing some early signs - in Finlandia FS where he made 3 jumping errors, his first mark is still vastly higher than his PCS. That's in a competition where he had no close rivals. Fernandez who arguably doesn't have the same natural technical talent that he has, consistently beat Hanyu in PCS last season - again, Fernandez projects very well on ice and off, which helps him a great deal and compensate for his disadvantages. As a result, Hanyu having the highest TES at the 2013 Worlds FS but only 6th in PCS, failed to make the podium. The difference between his TES and PCS was a wooping 9 points, in favor of TES. Even Joubert had higher PCS than he did, who finished 10th in the FS.

Simply put, JSF will need to take into account this obvious problem that Hanyu has, his inability to get high PCS scores. Having the same coach as Fernandez and outskated him technically yet still lost is a major warning sign that something is not right with his skating.

About the costume...could I just point out that for years, it's been the Russian men who tend to wear elaborate, fussy costumes. Remember Alexei Urmanov? They're based on the ballet tradition, as I understand it. Didn't Urmanov have one costume for a Swan Lake performance that included black parts, white parts, and gloves?

Ah, yes...here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9Mmd5zuKxY

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
About the costume...could I just point out that for years, it's been the Russian men who tend to wear elaborate, fussy costumes. Remember Alexei Urmanov? They're based on the ballet tradition, as I understand it. Didn't Urmanov have one costume for a Swan Lake performance that included black parts, white parts, and gloves?

Ah, yes...here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9Mmd5zuKxY

:laugh: bada-bing-bada-boom. Precisely. When it comes to looking "unmanly" the Russian men over the years have led the parade! Ballet tradition or no. Anyway, I think and hope the Japanese men that make it to the Olympic team will be judged primarily on their skating, not their costuming.

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
On top of that they will probably show the programs of single skaters throughout the broadcast with MAYBE Meryl and Charlie's FD and a snippet of the Shibs. :rolleye:

You got that right. US figure skating continues to decline in popularity with no end in sight. How do we stop this bus?

ciocio

On the Ice

Yes, but they still have Hamilton, Bezic & the gang. :laugh:
I've noticed how empty were the seats at Skate America, and I was very sad...:cry::scowl:

Tsk! Even among our own board members? I'm shocked - shocked and saddened... Come on, where's your patriotism - put in some effort!

1-0 for Canada, they have wallylutz. :laugh::p

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
To answer the title question, I believe Hanyu and Takahashi are a lock. The third man could be Kozuka or one of the new comers. I just cannot imagine Sochi game without Hanyu and Takahashi unless their own physical reasons. God, no! No injuries of any kind anymore for any skaters this season!!!