Gold needs new LP asap | Golden Skate

Gold needs new LP asap

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Raise your hands-who has seen sleeping beauty? Who hates it? I thought so.:laugh:

Gracie's SP is good, good costume.

Her LP is a fair maiden hot mess costume.

What should she skate to? Someone help poor grace!

cinnamon

On the Ice
I think her current SP music bothers more people than her LP. (I could understand what Marina tried to do with that piece, but it's not easy listening music.)
Well, if you ask me what kind of music suits Gracie, I would say the one she had two years ago (LP) when she became the world junior silver medalist.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I think her current SP music bothers more people than her LP. (I could understand what Marina tried to do with that piece, but it's not easy listening music.)
Well, if you ask me what kind of music suits Gracie, I would say the one she had two years ago (LP) when she became the world junior silver medalist.

I hated that LP - so not her. I would say her SP from her successful Junior season is the one that best suited her - quirky, classical but fun...I'd like to see a return to that piece of music.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think both programs are bad. I don't know if there's time to replace both, but Frank is willing to pull programs that don't work midseason (i.e. Michelle's SP to Beatles music). I'd say the SP is most likely to be changed simply because the music is too cacophonous for the casual fan to enjoy.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Gracie skated those programs once till now, didn't she? At least let her get used to them a little bit... I didn't really like them on first view either, but maybe she'll convince me that she can do better with later performances. These problems are probably not going to be masterpieces, but how many programs are anyway?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
At least let her get used to them a little bit... I didn't really like them on first view either, but maybe she'll convince me that she can do better with later performances.

With Ashley, I do feel her R&J will get better with time, because her performance in Japan showed potential but the choreography was unfinished. With Gracie, the music just doesn't work IMO and no amount of choreographic improvement is going to help. It's a bit surprising that, as the most hyped American skater at the moment, Gracie and the USFSA cannot find a choreographer to give her better material to showcase her strengths.

hanca

Record Breaker
I don't like neither her SP nor her FS, but what she needs most is a new dress. The pink one looks awful on anyone older than 10 years old.

heyang

Record Breaker
I don't like neither her SP nor her FS, but what she needs most is a new dress. The pink one looks awful on anyone older than 10 years old.

I agree that her FS outfit is just wrong for an 18 year old. I also found the paleness of the dress was just 'boring'.

I thought her SP outfit matched the music better. While the music isn't easy listening, that would be ok if Gracie had commanded the music. At this point in the season, I think she's still learning the routine vs learning to perform it. The SP failed iMHO because Gracie wasn't as powerful as the music. I think she could 'grow' into this program.

Sleeping Beauty doesn't fit Gracie IMHO. She's still a bit 'gawky' right now.

Who knows, she might grow into the numbers..... The 1st time I watched Michelle perform Lyra Angelika, she had a multiple -shades-of-blue dress and I didn't love the routine. By the time Nationals came along, she changed to a simple blue dress that matched the music and she mastered the performance of the emotions, etc. Similar story for Salome in 1996 - at the beginning of the season, Michele was skating to the music... by the end of the season Michele was Salome. Perhaps this year will be Gracie's Kwan 96 turning point.

I agree that her FS outfit is just wrong for an 18 year old. I also found the paleness of the dress was just 'boring'...
Sleeping Beauty doesn't fit Gracie IMHO. She's still a bit 'gawky' right now.

Totally agree on the costume. Isn't she supposed to be going for "power witch" here?

http://themovieblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Maleficent.jpg

Otherwise, it is hard to evaluate the choreography, because in the only performance we have seen so far, she missed every jump except the first and last. This robbed the program of its drama. Plus, when you double an intended triple, that throws the pacing off for the rest of the program. Land the jumps, land the jumps, land the jumps. I think it will be fine.

I thought her SP outfit matched the music better. While the music isn't easy listening, that would be ok if Gracie had commanded the music. At this point in the season, I think she's still learning the routine vs learning to perform it. The SP failed iMHO because Gracie wasn't as powerful as the music. I think she could 'grow' into this program.

Great comment. She was an eighth of a step step behind the music throughout. A little more practice and this could be an excellent program. The music is weird but cool. Her costume is weird but cool. Maybe taking out a few of the transitions would make the program more comfortable for her.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Totally agree on the costume. Isn't she supposed to be going for "power witch" here?

http://themovieblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Maleficent.jpg

Otherwise, it is hard to evaluate the choreography, because in the only performance we have seen so far, she missed every jump except the first and last. This robbed the program of its drama. Plus, when you double an intended triple, that throws the pacing off for the rest of the program. Land the jumps, land the jumps, land the jumps. I think it will be fine.

Great comment. She was an eighth of a step step behind the music throughout. A little more practice and this could be an excellent program. The music is weird but cool. Her costume is weird but cool. Maybe taking out a few of the transitions would make the program more comfortable for her.

I completely agree that she could grow into the short, but the long should be thrown out. Nothing about it makes any sense.

cinnamon

On the Ice
But Gracie loves it, no? She used words like "as a reward I could wear pink" somewhere.

deedee1

Record Breaker
I didn't follow the discussion here, so that has lead me to check it out on YT... and :eek: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqcs5cqnuek&feature=player_detailpage

I have to agree with hanca. Gracie needs better costume than the current one for sure, if she is serious about going to the Games and aiming for a podium finish both at Sochi and Tokyo...:disapp:

But Gracie loves it, no? She used words like "as a reward I could wear pink" somewhere.

But it's not necessarily this pink because there are hundreds of pink, you know...I would rather see something like Yukari's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkCnSFf_WSY

As for her programs this season, let's wait until how she skates at actual GPs, shall we? ;)

Selene

On the Ice
I agree that she should dump the Sleeping Beauty LP. The program/packaging is all wrong for her. Her team is trying to force her into the “pretty princess” box with this LP, and she isn’t that type of skater. The first minute of the program actually isn’t bad. The strong musical cut works for her style of skating, but the program just dies after that with the shift to the softer musical cuts from Sleeping Beauty & the slow footwork section. It only serves to highlight her lack of grace and stiffness/lack of fluidity in her upper body movement. I don’t see any way to make the program work, because the musical selection doesn’t suit her at all.

As for her SP, that program doesn't work either. The music cut is too repetitive and screechy. And the choreography is too maniac. She looked like a human windmill with all of the arm flailing when she performed the program in SLC. At the very least, her team needs to find a better performance of Three Preludes (one that doesn't destroy listeners' ears) and remove all of the superfluous arm flailing.

I agree. It’s not the color of the dress that makes her look juvenile. It’s the cut and styling. It doesn’t suit a ladies skater who is supposedly trying to showcase her maturity.

lcd

Match Penalty
While I don't disagree that the programs are not ideal or being well received, man, this girl has so many things going on right now and changing that I would think trying to put a new set of programs on top of all of that would be asking a LOT. I could see some costume improvements as being much less of a burden on her mentally. I could also see doing some significant "renovations" of the programs so that they more ideally allow her to deliver on the all important jump content. But a wholesale change seems to be asking for a lot of anyone, not just a teenager in her second year of senior, who has just changed coaches, moved to another part of the country, etc.

Robeye

Final Flight
I agree with this prescription. If she can nail her technical elements, she is going to contend. On the other hand, if she doesn't nail her elements, most critically her jumps, then any improvements she can realistically make in her artistic components and packaging in the run-up to Nationals and (presumably) Sochi are not going to be significant enough to save her.

In my view, that was the lesson to be drawn from SLC. Unlike Yuna/Caro/Mao, Gracie cannot, at this point in her development and career, expect her chestnuts to be pulled out of the fire by a dominant cushion in PCS if she has a bad jumping day.

IMHO, Gracie's improvement plan needs to address both aspects, of course, but it also needs to have a very strong sense of priorities.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Consistency and pacing will fix the LP. SLC she rushed through every piece of choreo and every jump entry except the 3Lz+3T in the LP. I would like to see her just relax into this program because it DOES have potential and yeah, a different color/cut dress would be a good idea.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hopefully Frank can slow Gracie down a bit and take her time. If she can land her jumps she's easily going to Sochi.

LRK

Record Breaker
About the SP - is there no other version of the same music than this one with the screechy violins? I don't know if I think the music is the problem, as much as this particular version of it? (I'm not familiar with it, so it makes it difficult to judge, when all one hears is the screechy violins that make me want to hold my hands to my ears... )