Team Event- can someone explain the members to me? | Golden Skate

Team Event- can someone explain the members to me?

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Specifically, I'm wondering if the team members must also be competing in the Men's Event, Women's event etc, or if it is possible for example, for the US to send 3 men to Sochi and use, let's say, Jeremy Abbott for the Team and Max and Jason Brown for the Men's Individual? This would be kind of great because it would give more skaters an opportunity to be Olympians, but maybe it's not possible?? Additionally, if only 2 US men go, does the 1 who competes for the Team have to be the higher ranked US man (ie our National Champion) or is the US free to name the #2 man as their Team competitor?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Specifically, I'm wondering if the team members must also be competing in the Men's Event, Women's event etc, or if it is possible for example, for the US to send 3 men to Sochi and use, let's say, Jeremy Abbott for the Team and Max and Jason Brown for the Men's Individual? This would be kind of great because it would give more skaters an opportunity to be Olympians, but maybe it's not possible?? Additionally, if only 2 US men go, does the 1 who competes for the Team have to be the higher ranked US man (ie our National Champion) or is the US free to name the #2 man as their Team competitor?

The U.S. Men only have two spots, so those two men will be the options for the team event. They can spilt the SP/LP among the men or one or the two men can do both.

Since Dance/Ladies has three spots, they have a few more options to choose from. USFSA can let D/W focus on the individual event and let USA 2 or 3 do the Team event (though Charlie indicated they were looking forward to participating in the team event).

The only exception would be if that country didn't qualify a spot in a given discipline individually. Takahashi/Kihara, for example did not get a spot at Nebelhorn. But they could come in and represent Japan in the team event.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Adding to TontoK's very informative reply in wordsworthgirl's duplicate thread in The Edge -- and to Mrs. P's excellent reply in this thread:

The following link is for a post in the "Sochi team competition" thread in this same subforum for 2014 Winter Olympics.

That post (#12) in turn has a link to the ISU document where you can read the official rules.

Several previous GS threads in The Edge also have discussed the rules for the Olympic team event, if you have any desire to read more ...