Is Skate Canada for Julia Lipnitskaya to win? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Is Skate Canada for Julia Lipnitskaya to win?

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I don't agree with this. If clean, Akiko will do 1 fewer triple than Julia in the LP and Gracie will do as many, and both would outscore Julia on GOE in the jumps and PCS. I really don't get the excitement about Julia, she still skates like a junior.

Gracie isn't a graceful senior skater on ice too, by the way. And her pc s is bull... , because her skating isn' appealing and her super speed isn't so evident compared to Julia. Watch them.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Gracie isn't a graceful senior skater on ice too, by the way. And her pc s is bull... , because her skating isn' appealing and her super speed isn't so evident compared to Julia. Watch them.

I have. Julia does not cover the ice well at all, while Gracie is quite fast. I agree Gracie isn't graceful but she deserves the high PCS scores on the "non-artistic" parts (SS, TR, etc).

tulosai

Record Breaker
I have. Julia does not cover the ice well at all, while Gracie is quite fast. I agree Gracie isn't graceful but she deserves the high PCS scores on the "non-artistic" parts (SS, TR, etc).

Julia also has some very challenging transitions. Many are not most people's 'cup of tea' since they are flexibility based, but that doesn't negate their challenging nature.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
lol at people who keep saying as you go 15 you will not skate clean
well Julia did at Finlandia, the only reason Julia was a bit messy last season was her 3 injuries

first it started with her boot problem at test skates
then sprained her ankle at TEB
then sustained a concussion

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Julia's only strengths are flexibility and consistency. Her jumps are poor quality and do not merit much GOE. I think she could lose her jumps (at least her harder combos) when she starts to grow out. But she should be able to beat the other girls at Skate Canada based on her consistency. All of her competitors are prone to making mistakes.

Here is how I think it could go:
1) Julia - consistency will get her first place
2) Akiko - better PCS than Julia, but will make too many mistakes to beat her, like at Finlandia
3) Kaetlyn - home ice boost, her PCS will rise like crazy to make up for her errors
4) Courtney - poor PCS will hold her back, but amazing jumps
5) Gracie - a headcase who is guaranteed to bomb at least one program, due to not being able to control her nerves.

I think Akiko and Gracie could beat Julia if they skate their best, but I don't think that's likely to happen.

didn't you said that for 2 seasons now that as Julia grows she will lose her jumps,:laugh: she in fact is growing yet she still has her jumps
at this rate even newer skaters like prepubescent Radionova has more chances of losing her jumps with those horrid flip and 2A

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
and for the record, Julia doesn't even expect to win SC, that's how humble she is :yes:
she said her main goal this season is to skate clean and make the Olympics Team

consistency will get you far, then comes the latter, increase in PCS and reputation

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
For the record, Kaetlyn Osmond didn't expect to win SC either, and even Nationals she said she doesn't expect to win (even though she was a sure shot at Nationals).

didn't you said that for 2 seasons now that as Julia grows she will lose her jumps,:laugh: she in fact is growing yet she still has her jumps
at this rate even newer skaters like prepubescent Radionova has more chances of losing her jumps with those horrid flip and 2A

Amusing that you would attack Radionova's 2A after praising Julia. Not to mention Radionova's 3F is fine... she's able to do a 1/2L-3S out of it, so clearly it's not horrid. Plus she doesn't lip/flutz... which is a problem with Julia/Adelina/etc. I don't get what your deal is with Radionova? Is it because you see her as a threat to Julia/Liza because she's technically more ambitious and executes her jumps more consistently?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
For the record, Kaetlyn Osmond didn't expect to win SC either, and even Nationals she said she doesn't expect to win (even though she was a sure shot at Nationals).

Amusing that you would attack Radionova's 2A after praising Julia. Not to mention Radionova's 3F is fine... she's able to do a 1/2L-3S out of it, so clearly it's not horrid. Plus she doesn't lip/flutz... which is a problem with Julia/Adelina/etc. I don't get what your deal is with Radionova? Is it because you see her as a threat to Julia/Liza because she's technically more ambitious and executes her jumps more consistently?

then you need to look further , Radionova's Flip is her weakest jump and the ones she makes mistakes the most, she even replace with a loop at SP Nebelhorn No Im not priasing Julia's 2A Technique it is atrocious but Radionova's is no better either. look at the height she gets, maybe you can blame Gocharenko for that who cannot teach proper axel techniques. Tuk is what ? she she is an SP headcase, so how can she be a threat, lol

the scoring begs to differ, Osmond with less than 3 falls is a podium lock or gold medal lock
she is skating on "home ice", maybe because your Canadian and can't get that ? :disapp:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
then you need to look further , Radionova's Flip is her weakest jump and the ones she makes mistakes the most, she even replace with a loop at SP Nebelhorn No Im not priasing Julia's 2A Technique it is atrocious but Radionova's is no better either. look at the height she gets, maybe you can blame Gocharenko for that who cannot teach proper axel techniques. Tuk is what ? she she is an SP headcase, so how can she be a threat, lol

the scoring begs to differ, Osmond with less than 3 falls is a podium lock or gold medal lock
she is skating on "home ice", maybe because your Canadian and can't get that ? :disapp:

So, I think it's safe to say that at Skate America, NHK and Cup of Russia, the American/Japanese/Russians can fall a few times and be a gold medal/podium lock, right?

How is Osmond a lock with less than 3 falls? She fell twice at Worlds and barely held on to the top 10 in the FS. I can assure you that if she falls multiple times at SC, and the others (namely, Suzuki/Gold/Lipnitskaia) skate well, she will not make the podium - even on home ice.

Stop setting up Osmond for your inevitable "The only reason she made the podium is because it's home ice". It negates when she actually puts out a decent performance (which she did at the last SC) and it's also negligent of the rest of the field's errors in their own SP/FS.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Stop setting up Osmond for your inevitable "The only reason she made the podium is because it's home ice". It negates when she actually puts out a decent performance (which she did at the last SC) and it's also negligent of the rest of the field's errors in their own SP/FS.

when was the last time she skated clean outside home ice ? SC is a Canadian held event
Nebelhorn is not counted it was a senior B and before she became a national household name with inflation going through the roof !
a 2 fall LP at SC scored a 115+ last season ? while Tuk and Murakami barely cracked 100+

why she gets inflated scores only on home court held events is absurd
talk back when she doesn't panic because she knows she wont get inflated scores and fall multiple times with correct scores outside of home ice. who knows maybe she will magically skate lights out and score a 200+ by Sochi ?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
when was the last time she skated clean outside home ice ?
Nebelhorn is not counted it was a senior B and before she became a national household name with inflation going through the roof !

why she gets inflated scores only on home court held events is absurd
talk back when she doesn't panic because she knows she wont get inflated scores and fall multiple times with correct scores outside of home ice
who knows maybe she will magically skate lights out and score a 200+ by Sochi ?

She's starting her second season as a senior, so it's hardly enough time to say there's a trend, especially when she skated only 2 international competitions last year at Nebelhorn. There are numerous senior skaters that you can say the same - Asada, Kostner, Tuktamysheva, who haven't skated cleanly outside of their Nationals for a while.

At Four Continents in Japan, Kaetlyn scored 28.54 PCS with a fall in her SP. And at Worlds in Canada she scored 29.54 PCS for a perfect SP. That's just 1 point higher. Hardly, home inflation. :rolleye:

Moment

Final Flight
Kaetlyn was not overscored on PCS of her clean Worlds SP, but on GOE. +1.20 and +1.40 for her first two jumping passes, sorry but that's pretty out of line.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Let's not forget that we discuss here the chances of Lipnitskaya to win the 2nd GP..:)

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
and dint you forgot how Osmond scored a higher PCS than Suzuki at SC, lol
if her PCS is not that is too inflated, those magical GOE numbers she racks on home ice with 2 falls, no wonder she still gets a 115+ that was last season
with this season with higher PCS she can score 118+ with 3 falls probably that would be a joke :unsure:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker

That's funny though since Radionova is only six months younger than Julia.

I think a skater could lose jumps at any stage of their career, for lots of different reasons. e.g., Mao, at 18-19 perhaps.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Ohhhh, yes she does. And gurl will be pissed if she doesn't. She wants to be Olympic Champ already.

:agree: Still cracks me up thinking about her pissed off expression of death when she lost to Mao Asada, seeming not to understand who Mao Asada is.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
it depends if she keeps winning her GP and makes the GP
then she will definitely get higher expectations, one thing though she gets mad if she is not clean, Julia calculates her scores or her possible scores not just her BV

That's funny though since Radionova is only six months younger than Julia.

I think a skater could lose jumps at any stage of their career, for lots of different reasons. e.g., Mao, at 18-19 perhaps.

Mao didn't lose her jumps though, she just gotten really unstable after 19

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Kaetlyn was not overscored on PCS of her clean Worlds SP, but on GOE. +1.20 and +1.40 for her first two jumping passes, sorry but that's pretty out of line.

Perhaps but there were plenty of skaters who were overscored on GOE, particularly Mao on her 2-footed 3A getting +GOE overall, and Kostner getting -2's on her combo fall. Kaetlyn's 3F was really good... maybe not +3, but a +1/+2 was certainly not out of line (and clearly the computer happened to use more of the +2's than the +1's leading to +1.4 GOE). Her 3-3 was also well-executed. Her spins also received a lot of 0's (which were suitable, I'd say) instead of a lot of +1's/+2's, so I don't think the judges were being particularly generous to her in the GOE department.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Mao didn't lose her jumps though, she just gotten really unstable after 19

Um, "really unstable" is just another way of saying "lost her jumps". She hasn't had nearly the consistency on her 3A and 3-3 as she had before 2010, although it's understandable as those are difficult elements to execute in general. But last season even her typically reliable 3L and 3F were not consistent either.