Thread: How many champ/elite skaters were only kids?

How many champ/elite skaters were only kids?

Well, Flatt is one. I think Weir is an only. How do you think this sport seems to select for only kids? Chan is another. National, world or Olympic Champs? Joannie Rochette is another only child. How about YuNa-does she have sibs? I'm curious as FS takes so much from parents-esp time and money. It ain't basketball!

I think Tara Lipinski's an only child. Maybe Brian Boitano? (Not sure about him.)

I do think it helps somewhat, since this is quite an individual sport and needs a lot of time, money, and attention from the parents. On the other hand, I think it was discussed in another thread that younger children tend to benefit from an older one's experience if both were skaters, and there were quite a few siblings in which the younger one did a bit better (though not all).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by kiki611 View Post
    Well, Flatt is one. I think Weir is an only. How do you think this sport seems to select for only kids? Chan is another. National, world or Olympic Champs? Joannie Rochette is another only child. How about YuNa-does she have sibs? I'm curious as FS takes so much from parents-esp time and money. It ain't basketball!
    I think we had a similar thread, not too long ago, but to answer your question, not all the elite skaters are only kids. Just to mention a few of them Yuna, Mao, Joubert, Plushenko, Lysacek, Maxim Trankov, Scott Moir, Lambiel, have siblings.
    Yagudin is an only child.

Custom Title
    And of course Kwan has a sister, which is how she ended up with two adorable nieces. She also has a brother. Sergei Grinkov had a sister, but I think Gordeyeva is an only child.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kiki611 View Post
    I think Weir is an only. How do you think this sport seems to select for only kids?
    Quote Originally Posted by Victura View Post
    I think Tara Lipinski's an only child. Maybe Brian Boitano? (Not sure about him.)

I do think it helps somewhat, since this is quite an individual sport and needs a lot of time, money, and attention from the parents. On the other hand, I think it was discussed in another thread that younger children tend to benefit from an older one's experience if both were skaters, and there were quite a few siblings in which the younger one did a bit better (though not all).
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocio View Post
    I think we had a similar thread, not too long ago, but to answer your question, not all the elite skaters are only kids. Just to mention a few of them Yuna, Mao, Joubert, Plushenko, Lysacek, Maxim Trankov, Scott Moir, Lambiel, have siblings. ....
    Yes, The Edge very recently had a thread on this exact same topic of only kids.
    I do not agree at all with the premise that figure skating selects for only children.

- Weir is not an only.
    - 99% sure that Boitano is not an only.
    - And as ciocio notes, counterexamples are numerous -- just as numerous or more numerous than the examples of only children.
    - More who are not only kids (still scratching only the surface): Tessa Virtue, Max Aaron, Jason Brown, Sarah and Emily Hughes, Rudy Galindo, the Shibutanis (obviously), Meryl Davis, Charlie White, Alissa Czisny, Jeremy Abbott, Adam Rippon, Tanith Belbin, Gracie and Carly Gold, etc.

Tripping on the Podium
    I think Gordeyeva is an only child.
    Katia Gordeeva has a sister, Maria.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandenburg View Post
    Katia Gordeeva has a sister, Maria.
    Aha! Thanks for the correction. It's been awhile since I read her book.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    In case anyone still is interested, links to this summer's threads in The Edge that have been mentioned above:

- "How many champ/elite skaters were only kids?" (Yes, the summer thread has the exact same title as the current one. )
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...were-only-kids

- "Sibling skaters - is the younger one more successful?"
    http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...ore-successful