Men Skate America 2013 Short Program | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Men Skate America 2013 Short Program

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
Jason Brown is just incredible! He really has that "IT" factor that forces you to watch and keep your focus on the spell he creates on the ice. He really puts on an entertaining show! I really like how he has matured on the ice. Wonderful! :love:

The only '4' he's missing on his score report is a quad. Getting level 4s on your spins and step sequences is a huge asset.

We'll have to see what wacky shenanigans happens tomorrow. This is Skate America after all. You're up one day and down the next.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My biggest heartbreak of this SP has to be Artur Gachinski. To go into his first Olympic season trying to gun for a lone spot on Olympic ice in his mother land and to deliver a performance that is nowhere near what someone of his potential is capable of . . . it's just SO SAD to see. To see him in practice on youtube and nail these elements so easily with artistic sensibility (he is Russia's best male artist on the ice, IMO), you just know he is capable of so much more than he is showing in competition recently. Maybe that 2011 World bronze medal at his first senior Worlds placed too much pressure on his young shoulders. I really feel for him! Head up, Artur; you are a GREAT skater! Wishing you good health and good luck, young man! :love:

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
But Nationals is not in "these days". A few months may make a huge difference. Or not. I just wonder that people forget how up-and-down skaters can be...

Did you see him at Salt Lake last month? Did not hit a clean quad. So it's been a while for him. and he doesn't have the consistency over time that would give the US the confidence to send him. Of course he could still pull it together, but so far this year he has been weak. and I like him!

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Jason Brown is just incredible! He really has that "IT" factor that forces you to watch and keep your focus on the spell he creates on the ice. He really puts on an entertaining show! I really like how he has matured on the ice. Wonderful! :love:

I could not agree more. He is wonderful. and I love his attitude. He progresses slowly but surely, and truly loves to skate.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Because he only had a fall on the quad. Had he landed it it only would have given him about six more points.

He also lot a whole bunch of points on the levels as well. He's capable of better levels on the spins. And better GOE on the jumps.

Icey

Record Breaker
But Nationals is not in "these days". A few months may make a huge difference. Or not. I just wonder that people forget how up-and-down skaters can be...

I said IF he (max) continues to skate like this. And , no, I haven't forgotten about the ups and downs of a skater's life. He just seems to be in a downward phase to me and sometimes that doesn't disappear in a short period of time. I hope it is temporary and he comes back roaring. He does need to work on other things a lot so that when the jumps are off, he will have some breathing room.

Oreo

On the Ice
I'm thrilled for Jason and have been a fan of his since I saw him skate live at Nationals in San Jose. Like Jeremy Abbott, his moves are artistic, expressive without being obvious, and well thought out to the music (with a lot of skaters, the music is treated like a background distraction). And he's still young! I look forward to him getting better and better.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I'm thrilled for Jason and have been a fan of his since I saw him skate live at Nationals in San Jose. Like Jeremy Abbott, his moves are artistic, expressive without being obvious, and well thought out to the music (with a lot of skaters, the music is treated like a background distraction). And he's still young! I look forward to him getting better and better.
Oreo, I'm with you! He is a joy to watch and his evolution and growth will be wonderful. I don't even care about him being the best or medaling on the Intl stage as long as he does beautiful, expressive, interesting programs.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I said IF he (max) continues to skate like this. And , no, I haven't forgotten about the ups and downs of a skater's life. He just seems to be in a downward phase to me and sometimes that doesn't disappear in a short period of time. I hope it is temporary and he comes back roaring. He does need to work on other things a lot so that when the jumps are off, he will have some breathing room.
Icey, I agree with you. He seems to have lost his Quads in competition of late. and his lack of overall quality is starting to show more as a result. In other words, it isn't just that he isn't landing the quads, but also that he when he doesn't land them, the excitement and energy are sucked out of his programs and one notices the overall weak quality more.

Men's figure skating is pretty easy to judge after all. Land the only clean quad, first place. Skate the only clean program without a quad, second place. Screw up, third through eighth.

Oreo

On the Ice
Icey, I agree with you. He seems to have lost his Quads in competition of late. and his lack of overall quality is starting to show more as a result. In other words, it isn't just that he isn't landing the quads, but also that he when he doesn't land them, the excitement and energy are sucked out of his programs and one notices the overall weak quality more.

Ditto. I'm sure Max is a really nice guy and I'll cut him some slack for being first out of the box for this new season; however, his quads are what made him stand out last year, and without those, he's way down in the pack with everyone else and not really all that special.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have to say I really see the improvement in Adam Rippon under Rafael Arutunian's tutelage. His skating skills have improved tremendously from what they were and he is much more of a showman and a fighter out there on the ice. He has become more extroverted and more watchable, IMO. A very impressive showing in the SP! YAY ADAM!!! :biggrin:

Sara

On the Ice
I have to say I really see the improvement in Adam Rippon under Rafael Arutunian's tutelage. His skating skills have improved tremendously from what they were and he is much more of a showman out there on the ice. He has become more extroverted and more watchable, IMO. A very impressive showing in the SP! YAY ADAM!!! :biggrin:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm so happy for him!! I wasn't sure how he would do today and am thrilled he skated so well!! Jason was really good too, but not as good as Adam what comes to PCS. I think Jason's PCS was too high. And the winner, well he deserved the win for sure :)

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I have to say I really see the improvement in Adam Rippon under Rafael Arutunian's tutelage. His skating skills have improved tremendously from what they were and he is much more of a showman and a fighter out there on the ice. He has become more extroverted and more watchable, IMO. A very impressive showing in the SP! YAY ADAM!!! :biggrin:
I agree! I am so happy for him. He seemed wonderful in the interview he did with Jenny and Dave on The Skating Lesson. It was clear from his answers there that he definitely has struggled with a lot of confidence issues as well as some technical issues and he seems stronger on both counts now.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
My biggest heartbreak of this SP has to be Artur Gachinski. To go into his first Olympic season trying to gun for a lone spot on Olympic ice in his mother land and to deliver a performance that is nowhere near what someone of his potential is capable of . . . it's just SO SAD to see. To see him in practice on youtube and nail these elements so easily with artistic sensibility (he is Russia's best male artist on the ice, IMO), you just know he is capable of so much more than he is showing in competition recently. Maybe that 2011 World bronze medal at his first senior Worlds placed too much pressure on his young shoulders. I really feel for him! Head up, Artur; you are a GREAT skater! Wishing you good health and good luck, young man! :love:

I wish them all to do well... But since Russia only has one spot for the Olympics, I have to say that there are other Russian skaters I'd rather see there. Gachinski always had a huge talent, but except for 2 or 3 international events where he had 1 great and 1 "average at best" program to get a good result, he has shown quite the tendency to underperform. As for the "Russia's best male artist on the ice", I have to disagree. I never was a fan of Plushenko's "posing" during programmes, but Gachinski did the same for years. He always looks very focused on the jumps to me, and when they don't work, there's not much left for me. His basic skating skills are good, I'll give you that.
Compare his artistry to Ivan Bariev: To me, he's a more thrilling character to watch. I couldn't find his awesome Russian 2012 Nationals FS on youtube, but here is a nice one, have a look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-hFcqbEaso

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Mrs. P's protocal breakdown:

Jumps:
Tatsuki: 34.11
Max: 29.26
Alexander: 27.59
Jason 27.14
Adam: 26.89
Artur: 23.31
Takahiko: 23.15