Ice Dance SD - 2013 Skate America | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Ice Dance SD - 2013 Skate America

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
\
wow, I cannot see how anyone is going to beat Davis and White and or for that matter C and L these scores are extraoridnary. As for the Shibutanis they might not even go to the olympics with Donahue and Hubbell nipping on their heals. The teams from 5 to 8 are within less than a point of each other.

gmyers

Record Breaker
The Italians look like early contenders for silver from what I have seen so far this season.. Technically much stronger than V/M... maybe even technically stronger than D/W? It's really close, but I think if they skate a short dance like that, they should be at least in second based on the content in programs seen so far this year.

V/m would still get pcs to beat c/l. C/l since coming in third in the fd in London has to be the main contender for bronze.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
I think the Italians can snag that silver!... just got a feeling. I think their PC's will keep going up as the season progress. With D/W and V/M there is not really much higher the PC's can go. They are already getting 10's this early in the season, even still the Italians scored better than V/M in their first competition (although it is never a good idea to compare scores from different comps). Still they clearly have much superior technique to everyone bar D/W.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Meryl and Charlie skated that very well. I'm just not blown away by the choreography and this music (annoying vocals, I guess I don't like MFL. :slink:)
[/url]

My only complaint is that it isn't Julie Andrews. Maybe the Julie Andrews version wasn't the right tempo, but I would really prefer her voice.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think if Anna and Luca can manage to stay healthy and win Europeans, which will help their momentum and PCS potential going into Sochi, then Olympic silver or bronze is definitely in the realm of possibility if they skate clean there and maintain all those Level 4 elements.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Hmm, maybe it's me, bit I have the very definition of "mixed feelings" about C/L. On the one hand, this short dance may have the best choreography of all the short dances I've seen so far (though some of the music cuts are questionable to me), but there's just something I find a bit...hmm...dowdy? about their skating. It's strange because I watched their program and then the Shibs back to back, and in both cases I thought, throwback ID. But for me the Shibs have more quiet elegance (this is a really terrific SD for them--I think it reminds us of what we found special in the Shib sibs in the first place). And the C/L's lift is really a throwaway...

Maybe my feelings will change as the season progresses...

Whitneyskates

On the Ice
Just something to think about...

At 2009 Worlds, D/W finished 4th, 3rd in the FD
2013 Worlds, C/L finished 4th, 3rd in the FD

That fall on the GP series, D/W made a huge push, and collected some pretty big scores, including personal bests.
C/L score a personal best on their first GP of the season.

D/W won silver in Vancouver.
What a surprise it would be if C/L ended up as surprise silver medalists in Sochi.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

That fall on the GP series, D/W made a huge push, and collected some pretty big scores, including personal bests.

What a surprise it would be if C/L ended up as surprise silver medalists in Sochi.

Correlation =/=Causation

That said, 69+ is a very impressive score for C/L and they are definitely in the mix. I'd be interested in seeing how Virtue/Moir do in SC before I make any major judgments in momentum, though.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hmm, maybe it's me, bit I have the very definition of "mixed feelings" about C/L. On the one hand, this short dance may have the best choreography of all the short dances I've seen so far (though some of the music cuts are questionable to me), but there's just something I find a bit...hmm...dowdy? about their skating. It's strange because I watched their program and then the Shibs back to back, and in both cases I thought, throwback ID. But for me the Shibs have more quiet elegance (this is a really terrific SD for them--I think it reminds us of what we found special in the Shib sibs in the first place). And the C/L's lift is really a throwaway...

Those levels DO make a difference though. The Shibs were nearly five points behind in just Finnstep. The gap is smaller for everything else (just 1.64 points). Overall 6.2 points in TES, 2.42 in PCS.

That does bring an interesting point RE: the Shibs vs. H/D though. The Shibs REALLY struggled with Finnstep and they still edged H/D out due to the strength of the other elements.

The Shibs are in general (injuries and freak incidents nonwithstanding) been stronger FD skaters, so it will be interesting to see if they can distance themselves a bit more tomorrow.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice

I think they are D/W biggest threat thus far. Unless V/M programs and technical merit improve DRASTICALLY (which is definitely a possibility), but right now their programs are too easy and historically they have never been able to do their technical elements with as much speed, flow and fluidity as what was put out on the ice tonight, particularly the lifts. So even if they were to try to do the harder stuff, it might not look comfortable (like the lifts in Carmen). Still waiting to see the Russians.

bramweld

Record Breaker

No I have the same feeling. But give credit where its due they take pride in their skating and it shows even if its a bit dowdy, its professionally done. Personally while watching it it felt like a sequel to last years SD, but what they do they do it well. If I were V/M I'd be concerned. Why are their levels so consistently low?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Those levels DO make a difference though. The Shibs were nearly five points behind in just Finnstep. The gap is smaller for everything else (just 1.64 points). Overall 6.2 points in TES, 2.42 in PCS.

That does bring an interesting point RE: the Shibs vs. H/D though. The Shibs REALLY struggled with Finnstep and they still edged H/D out due to the strength of the other elements.

The Shibs are in general (injuries and freak incidents nonwithstanding) been stronger FD skaters, so it will be interesting to see if they can distance themselves a bit more tomorrow.

You do have a point about the levels (and thank you, by the way, for the point breakdowns, which are always so useful!). I think part of the problem of the Shibs' Finnstep is the music--there just seems somewhat of a misstep between music and movement in that part of their program.

About C/L as a threat for silver, I think we should keep in mind that Voir have always started out the season slowly, and progressed both technically and artistically as the season progresses. It's not a bet I would take...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
You do have a point about the levels (and thank you, by the way, for the point breakdowns, which are always so useful!). I think part of the problem of the Shibs' Finnstep is the music--there just seems somewhat of a misstep between music and movement in that part of their program.

About C/L as a threat for silver, I think we should keep in mind that Voir have always started out the season slowly, and progressed both technically and artistically as the season progresses. It's not a bet I would take...

Yeah, I wouldn't take that bet either. Let's be reminded that D/W beat V/M at GPF right before the Olympics...

And thanks for your kind words.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
Yeah, I wouldn't take that bet either. Let's be reminded that D/W beat V/M at GPF right before the Olympics...

And thanks for your kind words.

This is true but even before the olympics at the time everyone was already saying that GP Final was just a consolation prize, because no way were they going to beat V/M on home ice. Had they ever even beat V/M at a major competition before GPF that year?

flaneur

On the Ice
C/L sp is well choreographed and their costumes are spot on for the team (they look adorable and on point without veering into kitsch). But as fun as it was, I'll need to see a better version than the youtube one we have before proclaiming them olympic silver medalist ;)

S/S the finnstep is a good dance for them. They will need to clean it up though.

M/C are such a fast, precise, and clean team that can really fly across the ice; however, this sp is really kind of generic and forgettable.

Mao88

Record Breaker
SHORT DANCE - RESULT & VIDEOS

1. Meryl DAVIS / Charlie WHITE (USA) - 75.70 Short Dance
2. Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE (ITA) - 69.88 Short Dance
3. Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI (USA) - 61.26 Short Dance
4. Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE (USA) - 60.71 Short Dance
5. Julia ZLOBINA / Alexei SITNIKOV (AZE) - 54.53 Short Dance
6. Cathy REED / Chris REED (JPN) - 54.28 Short Dance
7. Pernelle CARRON / Lloyd JONES (FRA) - 54.10 Short Dance
8. Isabella TOBIAS / Deividas STAGNIUNAS (LTU) - 53.17 Short Dance