Practice Reports Skate America 2013 | Golden Skate

Practice Reports Skate America 2013

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Day 1 (10/17)

Women's group 1 (Tukt, Radionova, Elene G, Helgesson, Mae Berenice)

Missed most of this group (was on the people mugger)

Tukt looked a little rough. Landed some jumps (rough landings), popped some jumps. Spins looked decent.

Radionova looked good. 3/3, 3/3/2 combos landed. I did see her fall on one triple but overall I was very impressed by her. She was by far the winner of this group. Spins look great and she has nice speed over the ice. Only thing that bugs me are her shoulders! She's a star for sure if she survives puberty.

Elene G didn't really pay attention but she did land some nice triples! She was hit and miss.

Helgesson was by far the loser of the day. She was a complete miss. Every time I looked her way she was falling (and hard) on some jump. Didn't look good at all.

Mae Berenice landed some nice jumps one being a 3/3. Her jumps are big and she did miss some but hit some as well.

Group 2 (Asada, Wagner, Zhang, Cesario, Marchei)

Asada and Marchei were no shows.

Wagner by far the winner of group 2. Went for 3/3 but was a little 2footed/underrotated. Her other jumps look great. She did a run thru of her SP. Here's a twitter post on her jumps

Lynn Rutherford ‏@LynnRutherford
SKAM: Good SP Crazy Diamond run-thru from AWagner - 3flip/3toe, 3loop out of steps + edgy, interesting choreo from @shaelynnbourne #SA2013

Cesario did a run thru of her LP. Love her spread eagles in this program.

SKAM: @SammiCesario left jumps out of practice run-thru but plenty of Carmenitude; love the stab-spread eagle-leap ending. #SA2013

Zhang fell/popped a lot like Victoria. She didn't look competition ready. She did a run thru of her LP and skipped some jumps.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Pairs Group 1 (MT/M, S/K, V/T, P/M)

S/K and V/T were no shows.

MT/M were definitely on. They hit almost everything. Wasn't impressed with their split 3twist but was impressed with everything else. Their SBS jumps were crazy good for the most part.

SKAM: Nice FS run-thru @Kristen_MT @DylanMoscovitch Big 3twist & 3throws, 3toe combos (maybe 1 hand down), final lift smooth & easy! #SA2013

P/M I'm surprised with how they make this pairing work, she's tall!! She struggled with her side by side jumps everything else was okay. Are they skating to a song from the movie Ghost? I almost had an I/K flash back during their SP run thru.

Second Group (C/S, D/C, Z/B, B/H)

C/S were no shows.

D/C looked strong. He messed up his 3/2/2 combo which made me giggle mostly because he smiling as he was messing that combo up! She also missed one of her SBS jumps but overall they were solid.

Lynn Rutherford ‏@LynnRutherford 8h
SKAM: Denney&Coughlin good POTO FS run-thru - big 3twist, triple toes, 2 solid throws, looking strong. #SA2013

Z/B she struggled a lot with her SBS jumps, she either fell or was so far forward she had to put her hand down every single time she did her solo SBS jumps; everything else was okay.

B/H looked good. Wasn't paying close attention but was not feeling their SP at all.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Men's Group 1 (Majorov, Takahashi, Kozuka, Machida)

Majorov was hit and miss. When he hit his jumps sure was nice. Did a run thru after all the Japanese skaters and his choreo was subpar in comparison. The opening moves in his LP along with his music made me LOL. Still like him. His quad attempts were not successful.

Takahashi was totally miss on all his quads, so underotated. He did a run thru of his LP and I was not impressed.

SKAM: Daisuke Takahashi doing Beatles FS w/o all jumps & spins & steps, lovely 3Axel & 3Lutz/3toe. Orchestration not so powerful. #SA2013

SKAM: Daisuke Takahashi practicing quad flips, have not seen him hit one. His planned content only lists quad toe. #SA2013

Machida didn't pay close attention but boy does he have one beautiful/big triple axel.

Kozuka was hit and miss, struggled with his quad, 3/3 had some rough landings. He probably was the best in this group however.

Group 2 (Gachinski, Aaron, Brown, Rippon)

Gachinski had a rough practice. Popped everything, only triple i saw was when he popped his quad. Then he was going for a quad? and fell, landing almost on his back. He took a minute to get up, grasping his back, and limped toward the boards before finishing his session. Did a run thru of his SP with popped jumps. One thing I notice is that he twice went to the boards and sat down to re-tie/fix his boots. Hope he's not having boot problems.

SKAM: Gachinski SP music is first up, he is just stroking around a bit. Exciting steps choreographed by Jeff Buttle. #SA2013

SKAM: Gachinski bad fall, lay on ice for a minute. Now he is recovering by boards. Looks shaken but skaters tough so probably OK #SA2013

Aaron was missing quads left and right, popped jumps here and there. He wasn't so solid. Did a run thru of Carmen and was not as impressed as I was when viewing on my computer. His movements are just so awkward, I rather watch him skate Tron again. An artist he is not.

SKAM: Aaron -- solid run-thru with a few glitches on quads. 4toe fall, 4S, fall out 4S, 3lo, 3A/2t, 3Lutz..3S, 3F. #SA2013

Brown had some rough landings on some of his jumps (a little underotated perhaps). Impressed with his skating skills (best in this group by far). Did a run thru of SP. Did all planned jumps but some landings were iffy. Definitely the artist of both men's groups. And got a big applause after his run thru. People were definitely happy he is there!!!

SKAM: Now @Jasonbskates practicing combos with hands behind back on double toe - had not seen him do before. Looks cool. #SA2013

SKAM: @Jasonbskates practicing nice 'Tano variations (one arm up). He did near clean runthru of his SP, just slight turnout on 3/3. #SA2013

Rippon didn't really pay attention. 3axel was hit and miss, did a whole lot of 2axels. The quads forget it, not even close.

SKAM: Rippon practicing quads now, good tries on 4Lutz but a few falls. #SA213

SKAM: Rippon 3A/2t, 3lo, 3A, 3F/3T nice entry, 3RipLu/2/2, 3RipLu, split, 3S(?), kind of Nijinski final spin. No quad but impressive #SA2013

Sorry I couldn't remember the jumps exactly, I didn't take notes so wrote based on what I remembered.

Can't comment on dance but I did like what I saw with S/S. Can't wait to see their entire M. Jackson FD cause the little parts they skated got the crowd going and they got a huge applause. Meryl has a new dress, blue/green color, very nice!!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
On Thursday, Jennifer Comeaux attended part of men's practice and ice dance practice at Skate America.
She has posted photos and a few videos "(Davis/White and the Shibutanis' run-throughs)!".

ETA:

Rippon had a boot problem yesterday -- per Comeaux's Twitter conversation this morning:
His boot heel shattered yesterday at the end of practice.
I saw Rafael and a guy with two pairs of skates huddling in the lobby last night. I hope he fixed the problem!

So now this tweet from yesterday makes sense to me.
upnights ‏@michlmint
Jason & Max were very sweet to their fans after practice (Arturo & Adam had to leave early w their problems) #SA2013
12:28 PM - 17 Oct 13
https://twitter.com/michlmint/status/390922234338230272

BTW, yesterday @michlmint also tweeted some photos from practice.​

ETA:
This just in: @USFigureSkating reports that Rippon's boot issues have been resolved.
https://twitter.com/USFigureSkating/status/391226156654944256 (8:35 AM - 18 Oct 13)​

tulosai

Record Breaker
I think that they need A LOT more speed (and this I so strange to be said, considering that Meryl and Charlie are probably the fastest couple in the world!! :unsure: ), I hope it is just because this was only a practice session...

It is very hard always to tell speed from videos though. I wouldn't assume anything from this (though it looked the same to me).

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
Wow thanks DorbinFan!! Your reports are getting me hyped up! :yay:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Day 2 (10/18)

Men's SP Group 1 (Aaron, Rippon. Gachinsky, Majorov)

Aaron SP run thru nice 4S, 3A. Had some nice quad sal and triple axel attempts and he did a bunch of them!!!

Rippon SP run thru, popped his axel and skated thru the rest of the jumps. Tried some quad lutz landing one, falling hard on another. Nice transition into the loop. He tried a lot of 3lutz. Nice costume!

Gachinsky SP run thru, popped all jumps, nice footwork. Tried the 3axel over and over popping it until the end when he finally landed some. Saw no quads, all popped.

Majorov SP run thru, skated thru all jumps. Tried a lot of quads and fell on all of them.

Men's Group 2 (Brown, Machida, Kozuka, Takahashi)

Brown and Machida were the stars of this group cleanly landing most of their jump attempts!!

Brown SP run thru, PERFECTION! 3A, 3F/3T, tano 3lutz. Excellent presentation/transitions. Landed a lot of jumps including 3A all nicely done.

Machida SP run thru all jumps nicely landed including a very nice quad toe. Did lots of 4T, 3A all nicely landed!

Kozuka SP run thru, fall 4T, popped Axel, footwork nicely done. Some quad attemps that were hit and miss. By the way, why does he put his axel in the corner? Weird.

Takahashi SP run thru, flipped out of 3A, skated thru other jumps. Saw a couple of nice quad toes but he was hit and miss with this jump. Nice 3As landed.

Dance practice just start but I can't comment since I'm clueless!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Re dances-you could say which ones you enjoy! And again, thank you so much! Glad Jason is skating well.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Thanks a lot Dobrin Fan! Seems like some are doing fine and some not so fine. Exciting... practice and competition is often different... :popcorn:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Re dances-you could say which ones you enjoy! And again, thank you so much! Glad Jason is skating well.

Like the Lithuanian couple SD along with the Shibutani's. Lost interest in D/W and forgot they were skating mid way through :laugh: Davis has a pretty costume though! So does Tobias! Cappellini's dress was distracting. Flowing at the top with a tulip shape skirt :eek:hwell: