Thread: Who is likely to represent Russian women at Sochi?

Hybrid View

Custom Title

Who is likely to represent Russian women at Sochi?

Similar thread about the Russians...
    These are their recent performances. The main contenders:
    1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyHioNTwiuo
    2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1052CQRfdw
    3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToiZ4jjnL88

Or anybody else? If I had to choose, I'd send Julia and.....Not Sotnikova! She will bomb for sure. Your thoughts?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by koatcue View Post
    Similar thread about the Russians...
    These are their recent performances. The main contenders:
    1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyHioNTwiuo
    2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1052CQRfdw
    3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToiZ4jjnL88

Or anybody else? If I had to choose, I'd send Julia and.....Not Sotnikova! She will bomb for sure. Your thoughts?
    I would send Julia and Liza, they have potential and different styles.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocio View Post
    I would send Julia and Liza, they have potential and different styles.
    Julia and Adelina. Liza is having problems at the moment.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by koatcue View Post
    If I had to choose, I'd send Julia and.....Not Sotnikova! She will bomb for sure. Your thoughts?
    On the other hand, both times last season Adelina and Liza skated in the same international competition (Europeans and Worlds), Adelina placed better than Liza so it seems to me strange that you are worrying about Adelina bombing but not about Liza bombing.

Custom Title
    So far, I think Julia is the one who looks promising for the olympics. She can even be a podium contender depending on how others skate. But it looks like she can easily medal at Euros and maybe even worlds this season. Hope she will not injure herself again when practicing insane spins.

When she is on, Liza is a really nice choice. Good speed, perfect jump technique. But then she has SP bombing issue. She may waste one of the only 2 spots. I wouldn't take that risk if I was choosing olympic team. But then it will only depend on Nationals and Euros performances, and anything may happen. (Don't forget that she is the current Russian champion)

So I think Adelina looks like a better choice than Liza. She is more artistical and overall she scores well even she makes mistakes. Olympic games experience will be good for her future. Current baby stars may not survive puberty, Russia mustn't put all their hope on them.

Pogorilaya and Gosviani look like alternates if one of the three mentioned above is injured. Though I would prefer each one to Liza if she keeps bombing SPs in every competition. If Russia had three spots for Sochi, I would say Pogorilaya has a big chance of getting the last spot.

I wish good luck to all of them. They are all of them good skaters. May the best ones take the ticket to Sochi

Banned
    its tough who will make the team
    Miss Samsung Tuk who bombs the SP
    or Federation and Tarasova Pet Sotnikova who self destructs in the LP

I guess the better one who will do well in GP and Euros probably

Custom Title
    Lipnitskaya's lutz not really hurting her score anymore because other jumps are good. I think Sotnikova should do 3T+3T in SP, 2A+3T+2Lo and 2A+3T in the LP. I remember one year Lipnitskaya did that. Sotnikova has bigger jumps and higher PCS than Julia. She just needs to skate clean for her confidence. Why 3Lutz+3Loop if you can't make the team?

Tripping on the Podium
    Adelina and Julia

Julia and whoever skates best at Nationals based on what we've seen so far and assuming Julia 'keeps it up' so to speak.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Totentanz View Post
    So far, I think Julia is the one who looks promising for the olympics. She can even be a podium contender depending on how others skate. But it looks like she can easily medal at Euros and maybe even worlds this season. Hope she will not injure herself again when practicing insane spins.

When she is on, Liza is a really nice choice. Good speed, perfect jump technique. But then she has SP bombing issue. She may waste one of the only 2 spots. I wouldn't take that risk if I was choosing olympic team. But then it will only depend on Nationals and Euros performances, and anything may happen. (Don't forget that she is the current Russian champion)

So I think Adelina looks like a better choice than Liza. She is more artistical and overall she scores well even she makes mistakes. Olympic games experience will be good for her future. Current baby stars may not survive puberty, Russia mustn't put all their hope on them.

Pogorilaya and Gosviani look like alternates if one of the three mentioned above is injured. Though I would prefer each one to Liza if she keeps bombing SPs in every competition. If Russia had three spots for Sochi, I would say Pogorilaya has a big chance of getting the last spot.

I wish good luck to all of them. They are all of them good skaters. May the best ones take the ticket to Sochi
    Artistical? What is that?

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Watching Liza's Fs from SA, I think her jumps do cover a lot of distance comparing to her height, I like her landings a lot and how much time she keeps them. I dont like the program much but neither do I like Adelina's who I believe is more RF favorite and when she skates great she is marked better than Liza. But I want both of them to go, they are out at seniors for third season, have been to Worlds already, for a lot of reasons I want them to go.
    But I m sure Julia will go. Julia has an Lp that is cleverly designed, tailor made for making sensation and all the media attention as the youngest at these Olympic Games etc

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Watching Liza's Fs from SA, I think her jumps do cover a lot of distance comparing to her height, I like her landings a lot and how much time she keeps them. I dont like the program much but neither do I like Adelina's who I believe is more RF favorite and when she skates great she is marked better than Liza. But I want both of them to go, they are out at seniors for third season, have been to Worlds already, for a lot of reasons I want them to go.
    But I m sure Julia will go. Julia has an Lp that is cleverly designed, tailor made for making sensation and all the media attention as the youngest at these Olympic Games etc
    Both are only a year older than Julia though, and they are both part of the reason the Russians don't have 3 spots although it was a deep field. In Julia's defense she did better on the Senior Grand Prix than either of the other two. Its not her fault she wasn't at worlds last year.