Who is likely to represent Russian women at Sochi? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who is likely to represent Russian women at Sochi?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I really like Elena too, but as with any junior skater we have yet to see how her jumps hold up as she ages. I wish some of these skaters would go watch some of Irina's programs as a junior. Although young, Irina still had huge jumps and because of that never lost them as she grew older. (Her problems were due to weight gain and lack of motivation.) If more junior skaters jumped big I think we'd see more of them keeping those jumps after puberty.

I dont think anyone chooses to jump small. You work with what you have. Others like Radianova and Lipnitskaia do not.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I dont think anyone chooses to jump small. You work with what you have. Others like Radianova and Lipnitskaia do not.

I was listening to Dave and Jenny, and they made a point which is a strong one. They said that height in jump is something that can be worked on Radionova for example is quite little. How high exactly is her jumps suppose to get. When she gets older, she will get more power and the height on her jumps may improve. The point-lets wait and see.

Elizaveta had good technique but her jumps weren't huge. And they were criticizing her ice coverage and power. And while she has her issues, people are saying these things have improved...

I do think good air position, good basic technique though is needed.

So far Lipnitskaya seems to be a lock for the team. As pangtongfan said, she's bounced back after having struggled with puberty and seems very consistent. Her new programs seem to play to her strengths and work well for her.

As for the second spot, Sotnikova seems to have an edge over inconsistent Tuktamysheva at this point but I would like the spot to go to Pogorilaya. She might not be the most elegant skater but she's a solid jumper. Sot and Tuk had their chances and have been hit and miss. As for Sot: between that Halloween dress, tinkly piano Carmen arrangement and the bland choreography, just no.

guanchi

On the Ice
I believe Julia will go but I still hope that it will be Adelina and Liza, who both dazzled us over 4 yrs ago, who survived all the Polina's and puberty, and who I think still have the best chance to medal in Sochi.

bump

Match Penalty
So far, I think Julia is the one who looks promising for the olympics. She can even be a podium contender depending on how others skate. But it looks like she can easily medal at Euros and maybe even worlds this season. Hope she will not injure herself again when practicing insane spins.

When she is on, Liza is a really nice choice. Good speed, perfect jump technique. But then she has SP bombing issue. She may waste one of the only 2 spots. I wouldn't take that risk if I was choosing olympic team. But then it will only depend on Nationals and Euros performances, and anything may happen. (Don't forget that she is the current Russian champion)

So I think Adelina looks like a better choice than Liza. She is more artistical and overall she scores well even she makes mistakes. Olympic games experience will be good for her future. Current baby stars may not survive puberty, Russia mustn't put all their hope on them.

Pogorilaya and Gosviani look like alternates if one of the three mentioned above is injured. Though I would prefer each one to Liza if she keeps bombing SPs in every competition. If Russia had three spots for Sochi, I would say Pogorilaya has a big chance of getting the last spot.

I wish good luck to all of them. They are all of them good skaters. May the best ones take the ticket to Sochi :)

Artistical? What is that?

seniorita

Record Breaker
Watching Liza's Fs from SA, I think her jumps do cover a lot of distance comparing to her height, I like her landings a lot and how much time she keeps them. I dont like the program much but neither do I like Adelina's who I believe is more RF favorite and when she skates great she is marked better than Liza. But I want both of them to go, they are out at seniors for third season, have been to Worlds already, for a lot of reasons I want them to go.
But I m sure Julia will go. Julia has an Lp that is cleverly designed, tailor made for making sensation and all the media attention as the youngest at these Olympic Games etc

bekalc

Record Breaker
Watching Liza's Fs from SA, I think her jumps do cover a lot of distance comparing to her height, I like her landings a lot and how much time she keeps them. I dont like the program much but neither do I like Adelina's who I believe is more RF favorite and when she skates great she is marked better than Liza. But I want both of them to go, they are out at seniors for third season, have been to Worlds already, for a lot of reasons I want them to go.
But I m sure Julia will go. Julia has an Lp that is cleverly designed, tailor made for making sensation and all the media attention as the youngest at these Olympic Games etc

Both are only a year older than Julia though, and they are both part of the reason the Russians don't have 3 spots although it was a deep field. In Julia's defense she did better on the Senior Grand Prix than either of the other two. Its not her fault she wasn't at worlds last year.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Both are only a year older than Julia though, and they are both part of the reason the Russians don't have 3 spots although it was a deep field. In Julia's defense she did better on the Senior Grand Prix than either of the other two. Its not her fault she wasn't at worlds last year.

Julia's Jr Worlds performances wouldn't have placed her high enough at Worlds to get Russia three spots either. After next weekend I think we'll have a good idea of where she stands in the race for a Sochi spot, as SC is a high profile event. If she is able to win it will be very impressive.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I think if Liza doesn't improve her SP issues they are stupid to send her. Someone else pointed out in the ladies thread that it's actually possible she might not qualify for the LP based on her SP score if she continues on this way. I like Liza a lot but think she should very seriously consider seeing a sports psychologist. At least Adelina (while she has her own major issues) usually puts out a SP that leaves her in contention for the podium. Liza is so frustrating to me at this point because with the LP's she does she should have many may medals she doesn't have- including one this past weekend.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Yes I think you are referring to me. One day the bottom will fall out and Liza will do so bad in an sp she won't qualify for a fs! Will it be euros 2014? Olympics 2014? she needs to fix this problem. It is one of the worst problems facing any skater today and she needs to fix it! She needs if she is nervous and frantic before sp to go to a sports psychologist and find the reason! If it's mishin leave mishin. If it's something in her past confront it. This is a huge problem that needs massive help and just like orser and others go to a psychologist. Because I do think she's on her way to not qualifying for free skates.

LRK

Record Breaker
It's not difficult to understand - now, I think. How it started, is another matter. Of course she is nervous - because she makes mistakes; the more bad SPs she does, the more she will EXPECT to make mistakes, and the more nervous she'll be, and the more mistakes she will make... It's a vicious circle, really. She is more relaxed in the LPs - because she knows she can do them - because she HAS done them.

How to FIX the issue, I think is indeed for a sports psychologist to sort out. Practically, of course, what must happen is for her to do clean SPs - the more clean SPs she does, the more she will know, in her heart & soul, that she CAN do them. But first the vicious circle has to be broken. And that is - to put it mildly - the tricky part.

Inconsistency aside, one thing which really frustrates me about Tuktamysheva is that her presentation doesn't really seem to be improving. Her programs look very similar to how they did 2 years ago complete with all of the weaknesses that were pointed out then. Mishin has made it clear in the past that he doesn't really care about 'the second mark' and it really is showing.

ciocio

On the Ice
Inconsistency aside, one thing which really frustrates me about Tuktamysheva is that her presentation doesn't really seem to be improving. Her programs look very similar to how they did 2 years ago complete with all of the weaknesses that were pointed out then. Mishin has made it clear in the past that he doesn't really care about 'the second mark' and it really is showing.

IMO Liza needs a new coach and Gachisnki too. Something is going wrong and Mishin clearly can't fix it. :scowl:

tulosai

Record Breaker

I mostly agree, though she has improved her ice coverage greatly and her use of her arms somewhat IMO.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Liza's SP problems are killing her. Her FS score was exactly 1 point off of Ashley's...if Liza's SP was clean she'd have medaled here. Her technique is very solid so that's not the issue. Her nerves shake her in the SP and she makes very costly mistakes. Without the jumps Liza doesn't stand out as much as Julia or Adelina (who have line, extension, etc.) which is why she drops like a rock the second she makes a mistake.

As of now Julia is my top pick for the team. If Elena Radionova were eligible I'd pick her as #2, though I do choose her as a top 2 finisher for nationals this year. I believe she'll compete both senior and junior nationals again; she was 2nd at seniors last year and 1st in juniors. Julia struggled a little last year but she's back to "beast mode" when it comes to consistency. I see nice improvements to her presentation and performance; she's listening and connecting to the music more which is great to see. If she continues to improve there I do think she'll be a darkhorse in Sochi...definitely top 5 material.

As of now I'd pick Liza for that 2nd spot but I'll I need to see what Adelina is looking like first. She wasn't good at Japan Open but hopefully she's made some improvements. I wish she'd stop going for the insanely difficult content and go for a smart point maximizing layout that is realistically achievable for her. A clean albeit easier program will score much better than a more difficult and sloppy one. She and her team are not playing it smart as of now and it may end up costing her a spot to Sochi.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Liza pcs was 59 and Elena was 58. Ashley 66 and Mao 69. Of course Liza needs a new coach because her pcs has stalled and she is doing horribly in that area of skating scoring. Even if she bombed the sp and skated 2nd the pcs should've been higher than 60 if Elena with Mistakes got 58. There is some progress as it was common for Liza to get 55 in pcs when she skated well and late like second group. So it's true regardless of the gigantic sp problem she has been doing the same sp and lp for 3 seasons now and her pcs is incredibly poor and that needs overhaul too.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I wonder if Liza should do something easier in the SP just to build up her confidence.

How about 3T3T, 3Lo, and 2A. No stress, no fuss. Or 3Sal-3T, 3Lo, and 2A.

It works for a lot of girls to reduce the difficulty in the SP, to keep them in the running for the LP.

seniorita

Record Breaker

And Liza on her first year out won the two Gps, last year she managed GPF again and won bronze at Euros, she didnt do bad. She needs to fix this sp issue though.

hanca

Record Breaker
And Liza on her first year out won the two Gps, last year she managed GPF again and won bronze at Euros, she didnt do bad. She needs to fix this sp issue though.

True, but skating is not about what she achieved a year or two ago; it is about how she skates now. Caroline Zhang also achieved a lot a few years ago and now...