Who is likely to represent Russian women at Sochi? | Golden Skate

Who is likely to represent Russian women at Sochi?

ciocio

On the Ice

hanca

Record Breaker
If I had to choose, I'd send Julia and.....Not Sotnikova! She will bomb for sure. Your thoughts?

On the other hand, both times last season Adelina and Liza skated in the same international competition (Europeans and Worlds), Adelina placed better than Liza so it seems to me strange that you are worrying about Adelina bombing but not about Liza bombing.

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
So far, I think Julia is the one who looks promising for the olympics. She can even be a podium contender depending on how others skate. But it looks like she can easily medal at Euros and maybe even worlds this season. Hope she will not injure herself again when practicing insane spins.

When she is on, Liza is a really nice choice. Good speed, perfect jump technique. But then she has SP bombing issue. She may waste one of the only 2 spots. I wouldn't take that risk if I was choosing olympic team. But then it will only depend on Nationals and Euros performances, and anything may happen. (Don't forget that she is the current Russian champion)

So I think Adelina looks like a better choice than Liza. She is more artistical and overall she scores well even she makes mistakes. Olympic games experience will be good for her future. Current baby stars may not survive puberty, Russia mustn't put all their hope on them.

Pogorilaya and Gosviani look like alternates if one of the three mentioned above is injured. Though I would prefer each one to Liza if she keeps bombing SPs in every competition. If Russia had three spots for Sochi, I would say Pogorilaya has a big chance of getting the last spot.

I wish good luck to all of them. They are all of them good skaters. May the best ones take the ticket to Sochi :)

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
its tough who will make the team
Miss Samsung Tuk who bombs the SP
or Federation and Tarasova Pet Sotnikova who self destructs in the LP

I guess the better one who will do well in GP and Euros probably

elif

Medalist
Lipnitskaya's lutz not really hurting her score anymore because other jumps are good. I think Sotnikova should do 3T+3T in SP, 2A+3T+2Lo and 2A+3T in the LP. I remember one year Lipnitskaya did that. Sotnikova has bigger jumps and higher PCS than Julia. She just needs to skate clean for her confidence. Why 3Lutz+3Loop if you can't make the team?

tulosai

Record Breaker
Julia and whoever skates best at Nationals based on what we've seen so far and assuming Julia 'keeps it up' so to speak.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
At this point, Adelina and Julia.

Adelina makes errors, but at least when she goes for her 3-3, the second triple is URed, whereas Liza doubles her lutz. She's also the most refined skater of the three.

Julia is the obvious choice because she's the only one of the three who has shown consistent ability to do clean programs with strong content. When it comes to Julia, I also think the world needs to see those spins (some of Adelina's too!), whereas Tuktamysheva doesn't really have anything that makes her stand out.

I would also love to see Radionova there. She's a bit of a Mao circa 2006... unbelievable technical content and good consistency, even if her overall skating isn't entirely refined. Other than Adelina, I actually think Radionova performs and projects the best, and looks like she's enjoying herself as she skates.

Country
Russia
State of Russian Senior Ladies this season.
1. Julia, she looks as restored her stability of 2011/2012 seson and for today is best of Russian Ladies.
2-3. Adelina and Liza. They both have jumping problems.
4. Anna Pogorilaya. She looks better than all Russian Senior Ladies except mentioned above.
5. Nikol Gosviani. Jumping stability problems.
6. Maria Artemieva. 20-years-old skater, known only in Russia, but with very good progress this season.
Three of them are practicing at Moscow, three at StPetersburg.

(no number) Alena Leonova. We did not see her skating this season. She WD from at least three competitions this season. So almost no good hopes.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I really like Elena too, but as with any junior skater we have yet to see how her jumps hold up as she ages. I wish some of these skaters would go watch some of Irina's programs as a junior. Although young, Irina still had huge jumps and because of that never lost them as she grew older. (Her problems were due to weight gain and lack of motivation.) If more junior skaters jumped big I think we'd see more of them keeping those jumps after puberty.

tulosai

Record Breaker

I am concerned she has not fixed her choreographed sequence to cover the whole Ice surface and may still not receive credit for it in competition. She also can't land the jumps. But I will say that the second half of that program is the most freedom I've seen her skate with in a good while, mistakes on the jumps and all. It reminded me what a great performer she can be when she invests in it.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Got her 3Z-3L and 2A-3T that time. :) She's clearly still capable of doing them. Silly errors on the first flip and 3S though.

I'm also not quite convinced her ChSq still covers the whole ice. She should really do an ina bauer/spread eagle after the second spiral to ensure that she gets credit.

She's certainly a good performer and this is a good vehicle for her, but she'll have to skate with more speed and clean up her jumps.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I think that first flip was the worst she has ever done! Flutz ur loop probable 3t< still problems. Needs total overhaul. For team Julia and anna

lavender

Record Breaker
I'm hoping it's Adelina and Eliza but it will probably be Julia and a toss up between Adelina/Eliza.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
At this point, Adelina and Julia.

Adelina makes errors, but at least when she goes for her 3-3, the second triple is URed, whereas Liza doubles her lutz. She's also the most refined skater of the three.

Julia is the obvious choice because she's the only one of the three who has shown consistent ability to do clean programs with strong content. When it comes to Julia, I also think the world needs to see those spins (some of Adelina's too!), whereas Tuktamysheva doesn't really have anything that makes her stand out.

I would also love to see Radionova there. She's a bit of a Mao circa 2006... unbelievable technical content and good consistency, even if her overall skating isn't entirely refined. Other than Adelina, I actually think Radionova performs and projects the best, and looks like she's enjoying herself as she skates.

Radionova is not eligible for the Sochi Olympics due to her age. So she cant be there. Had that not been the case I would be 95% this years team would be Lipnitskaia and Radionova but luckily for the others this is not the case.

I think Lipnitskaia is a virtual lock unless she has an injury. She has gone through her growth spurt which she suffered with last year and has regained her famed consistency.

Sotnikova or Tuktamysheva will probably get the other spot. At this point I would favor Sotnikova. Tuktamysheva has to start skating clean short programs. She simply isnt good enough to keep making mistakes like that. If Sotnikova has her usual type of problems but Tuktamysheva keeps blowing the short but coming back in the long, Sotnikova will be the one to make it.

I would rather see Anna P. or Leonova than either but it is looking increasingly less likely Leonova will make a strong comeback soon or ever, and the Russian fed. probably will view Anna as too young and keep her off the team by virtue of that, and plus her international PCS arent particularly high yet.