Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Who is likely to represent Russian women at Sochi?

Custom Title
    Got her 3Z-3L and 2A-3T that time. She's clearly still capable of doing them. Silly errors on the first flip and 3S though.

I'm also not quite convinced her ChSq still covers the whole ice. She should really do an ina bauer/spread eagle after the second spiral to ensure that she gets credit.

She's certainly a good performer and this is a good vehicle for her, but she'll have to skate with more speed and clean up her jumps.

Custom Title
    Considering that this is beginning of the season, it is not bad at all.

Custom Title
    I think that first flip was the worst she has ever done! Flutz ur loop probable 3t< still problems. Needs total overhaul. For team Julia and anna

Custom Title
    I'm hoping it's Adelina and Eliza but it will probably be Julia and a toss up between Adelina/Eliza.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    At this point, Adelina and Julia.

Adelina makes errors, but at least when she goes for her 3-3, the second triple is URed, whereas Liza doubles her lutz. She's also the most refined skater of the three.

Julia is the obvious choice because she's the only one of the three who has shown consistent ability to do clean programs with strong content. When it comes to Julia, I also think the world needs to see those spins (some of Adelina's too!), whereas Tuktamysheva doesn't really have anything that makes her stand out.

I would also love to see Radionova there. She's a bit of a Mao circa 2006... unbelievable technical content and good consistency, even if her overall skating isn't entirely refined. Other than Adelina, I actually think Radionova performs and projects the best, and looks like she's enjoying herself as she skates.
    Radionova is not eligible for the Sochi Olympics due to her age. So she cant be there. Had that not been the case I would be 95% this years team would be Lipnitskaia and Radionova but luckily for the others this is not the case.

I think Lipnitskaia is a virtual lock unless she has an injury. She has gone through her growth spurt which she suffered with last year and has regained her famed consistency.

Sotnikova or Tuktamysheva will probably get the other spot. At this point I would favor Sotnikova. Tuktamysheva has to start skating clean short programs. She simply isnt good enough to keep making mistakes like that. If Sotnikova has her usual type of problems but Tuktamysheva keeps blowing the short but coming back in the long, Sotnikova will be the one to make it.

I would rather see Anna P. or Leonova than either but it is looking increasingly less likely Leonova will make a strong comeback soon or ever, and the Russian fed. probably will view Anna as too young and keep her off the team by virtue of that, and plus her international PCS arent particularly high yet.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I really like Elena too, but as with any junior skater we have yet to see how her jumps hold up as she ages. I wish some of these skaters would go watch some of Irina's programs as a junior. Although young, Irina still had huge jumps and because of that never lost them as she grew older. (Her problems were due to weight gain and lack of motivation.) If more junior skaters jumped big I think we'd see more of them keeping those jumps after puberty.
    I dont think anyone chooses to jump small. You work with what you have. Others like Radianova and Lipnitskaia do not.

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    I dont think anyone chooses to jump small. You work with what you have. Others like Radianova and Lipnitskaia do not.
    I was listening to Dave and Jenny, and they made a point which is a strong one. They said that height in jump is something that can be worked on Radionova for example is quite little. How high exactly is her jumps suppose to get. When she gets older, she will get more power and the height on her jumps may improve. The point-lets wait and see.

Elizaveta had good technique but her jumps weren't huge. And they were criticizing her ice coverage and power. And while she has her issues, people are saying these things have improved...

I do think good air position, good basic technique though is needed.

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    So far Lipnitskaya seems to be a lock for the team. As pangtongfan said, she's bounced back after having struggled with puberty and seems very consistent. Her new programs seem to play to her strengths and work well for her.

As for the second spot, Sotnikova seems to have an edge over inconsistent Tuktamysheva at this point but I would like the spot to go to Pogorilaya. She might not be the most elegant skater but she's a solid jumper. Sot and Tuk had their chances and have been hit and miss. As for Sot: between that Halloween dress, tinkly piano Carmen arrangement and the bland choreography, just no.

Custom Title
    I believe Julia will go but I still hope that it will be Adelina and Liza, who both dazzled us over 4 yrs ago, who survived all the Polina's and puberty, and who I think still have the best chance to medal in Sochi.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Totentanz View Post
    So far, I think Julia is the one who looks promising for the olympics. She can even be a podium contender depending on how others skate. But it looks like she can easily medal at Euros and maybe even worlds this season. Hope she will not injure herself again when practicing insane spins.

When she is on, Liza is a really nice choice. Good speed, perfect jump technique. But then she has SP bombing issue. She may waste one of the only 2 spots. I wouldn't take that risk if I was choosing olympic team. But then it will only depend on Nationals and Euros performances, and anything may happen. (Don't forget that she is the current Russian champion)

So I think Adelina looks like a better choice than Liza. She is more artistical and overall she scores well even she makes mistakes. Olympic games experience will be good for her future. Current baby stars may not survive puberty, Russia mustn't put all their hope on them.

Pogorilaya and Gosviani look like alternates if one of the three mentioned above is injured. Though I would prefer each one to Liza if she keeps bombing SPs in every competition. If Russia had three spots for Sochi, I would say Pogorilaya has a big chance of getting the last spot.

I wish good luck to all of them. They are all of them good skaters. May the best ones take the ticket to Sochi
    Artistical? What is that?

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Watching Liza's Fs from SA, I think her jumps do cover a lot of distance comparing to her height, I like her landings a lot and how much time she keeps them. I dont like the program much but neither do I like Adelina's who I believe is more RF favorite and when she skates great she is marked better than Liza. But I want both of them to go, they are out at seniors for third season, have been to Worlds already, for a lot of reasons I want them to go.
    But I m sure Julia will go. Julia has an Lp that is cleverly designed, tailor made for making sensation and all the media attention as the youngest at these Olympic Games etc

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Watching Liza's Fs from SA, I think her jumps do cover a lot of distance comparing to her height, I like her landings a lot and how much time she keeps them. I dont like the program much but neither do I like Adelina's who I believe is more RF favorite and when she skates great she is marked better than Liza. But I want both of them to go, they are out at seniors for third season, have been to Worlds already, for a lot of reasons I want them to go.
    But I m sure Julia will go. Julia has an Lp that is cleverly designed, tailor made for making sensation and all the media attention as the youngest at these Olympic Games etc
    Both are only a year older than Julia though, and they are both part of the reason the Russians don't have 3 spots although it was a deep field. In Julia's defense she did better on the Senior Grand Prix than either of the other two. Its not her fault she wasn't at worlds last year.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    Both are only a year older than Julia though, and they are both part of the reason the Russians don't have 3 spots although it was a deep field. In Julia's defense she did better on the Senior Grand Prix than either of the other two. Its not her fault she wasn't at worlds last year.
    Julia's Jr Worlds performances wouldn't have placed her high enough at Worlds to get Russia three spots either. After next weekend I think we'll have a good idea of where she stands in the race for a Sochi spot, as SC is a high profile event. If she is able to win it will be very impressive.

I think if Liza doesn't improve her SP issues they are stupid to send her. Someone else pointed out in the ladies thread that it's actually possible she might not qualify for the LP based on her SP score if she continues on this way. I like Liza a lot but think she should very seriously consider seeing a sports psychologist. At least Adelina (while she has her own major issues) usually puts out a SP that leaves her in contention for the podium. Liza is so frustrating to me at this point because with the LP's she does she should have many may medals she doesn't have- including one this past weekend.

Custom Title
    Yes I think you are referring to me. One day the bottom will fall out and Liza will do so bad in an sp she won't qualify for a fs! Will it be euros 2014? Olympics 2014? she needs to fix this problem. It is one of the worst problems facing any skater today and she needs to fix it! She needs if she is nervous and frantic before sp to go to a sports psychologist and find the reason! If it's mishin leave mishin. If it's something in her past confront it. This is a huge problem that needs massive help and just like orser and others go to a psychologist. Because I do think she's on her way to not qualifying for free skates.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast