Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Who is likely to represent Russian women at Sochi?

Custom Title
    It's not difficult to understand - now, I think. How it started, is another matter. Of course she is nervous - because she makes mistakes; the more bad SPs she does, the more she will EXPECT to make mistakes, and the more nervous she'll be, and the more mistakes she will make... It's a vicious circle, really. She is more relaxed in the LPs - because she knows she can do them - because she HAS done them.

How to FIX the issue, I think is indeed for a sports psychologist to sort out. Practically, of course, what must happen is for her to do clean SPs - the more clean SPs she does, the more she will know, in her heart & soul, that she CAN do them. But first the vicious circle has to be broken. And that is - to put it mildly - the tricky part.

LEAVE EDMUNDS ALONE!!1!
    Inconsistency aside, one thing which really frustrates me about Tuktamysheva is that her presentation doesn't really seem to be improving. Her programs look very similar to how they did 2 years ago complete with all of the weaknesses that were pointed out then. Mishin has made it clear in the past that he doesn't really care about 'the second mark' and it really is showing.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Inconsistency aside, one thing which really frustrates me about Tuktamysheva is that her presentation doesn't really seem to be improving. Her programs look very similar to how they did 2 years ago complete with all of the weaknesses that were pointed out then. Mishin has made it clear in the past that he doesn't really care about 'the second mark' and it really is showing.
    IMO Liza needs a new coach and Gachisnki too. Something is going wrong and Mishin clearly can't fix it.

I mostly agree, though she has improved her ice coverage greatly and her use of her arms somewhat IMO.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Liza's SP problems are killing her. Her FS score was exactly 1 point off of Ashley's...if Liza's SP was clean she'd have medaled here. Her technique is very solid so that's not the issue. Her nerves shake her in the SP and she makes very costly mistakes. Without the jumps Liza doesn't stand out as much as Julia or Adelina (who have line, extension, etc.) which is why she drops like a rock the second she makes a mistake.

As of now Julia is my top pick for the team. If Elena Radionova were eligible I'd pick her as #2, though I do choose her as a top 2 finisher for nationals this year. I believe she'll compete both senior and junior nationals again; she was 2nd at seniors last year and 1st in juniors. Julia struggled a little last year but she's back to "beast mode" when it comes to consistency. I see nice improvements to her presentation and performance; she's listening and connecting to the music more which is great to see. If she continues to improve there I do think she'll be a darkhorse in Sochi...definitely top 5 material.

As of now I'd pick Liza for that 2nd spot but I'll I need to see what Adelina is looking like first. She wasn't good at Japan Open but hopefully she's made some improvements. I wish she'd stop going for the insanely difficult content and go for a smart point maximizing layout that is realistically achievable for her. A clean albeit easier program will score much better than a more difficult and sloppy one. She and her team are not playing it smart as of now and it may end up costing her a spot to Sochi.

Custom Title
    Liza pcs was 59 and Elena was 58. Ashley 66 and Mao 69. Of course Liza needs a new coach because her pcs has stalled and she is doing horribly in that area of skating scoring. Even if she bombed the sp and skated 2nd the pcs should've been higher than 60 if Elena with Mistakes got 58. There is some progress as it was common for Liza to get 55 in pcs when she skated well and late like second group. So it's true regardless of the gigantic sp problem she has been doing the same sp and lp for 3 seasons now and her pcs is incredibly poor and that needs overhaul too.

Custom Title
    I wonder if Liza should do something easier in the SP just to build up her confidence.

How about 3T3T, 3Lo, and 2A. No stress, no fuss. Or 3Sal-3T, 3Lo, and 2A.

It works for a lot of girls to reduce the difficulty in the SP, to keep them in the running for the LP.

Custom Title
    Sometimes it is easier to train just one 3/3, especially if she is going to do it in the LP anyway.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    Both are only a year older than Julia though, and they are both part of the reason the Russians don't have 3 spots although it was a deep field. In Julia's defense she did better on the Senior Grand Prix than either of the other two. Its not her fault she wasn't at worlds last year.
    And Liza on her first year out won the two Gps, last year she managed GPF again and won bronze at Euros, she didnt do bad. She needs to fix this sp issue though.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    And Liza on her first year out won the two Gps, last year she managed GPF again and won bronze at Euros, she didnt do bad. She needs to fix this sp issue though.
    True, but skating is not about what she achieved a year or two ago; it is about how she skates now. Caroline Zhang also achieved a lot a few years ago and now...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    True, but skating is not about what she achieved a year or two ago; it is about how she skates now. Caroline Zhang also achieved a lot a few years ago and now...
    And now.... she was fourth at Skate America, which isn't stellar, but is scarcely along the level of what Caroline Zhang did, no? "Now" is this season, I presume, and if so, for the most part, it has yet to be skated.

Custom Title
    Pogorilaya scored 63+ for her SP at the Russian Cup event. If Liza continues to bomb SPs even with a good FS Pogo could maybe come out ahead if she has a good SP like this and then decent FS. I know Anna does not get very high PCS for now (and we will have a better idea of what they will look like in senior internationals after CoC), but like posters have mentioned, Liza's PCS aren't so high either, and if she keeps giving up 10-15 points away in the SP, then someone like Pogo or Gosviani might be able to take advantage of the situation and come out ahead even if their marks in the FS aren't as good. Doesn't mean they will be sent to the Olympics or even that they would actually be placed over Tuk, just maybe that they should. I like Liza and think she is fierce in her FS this season but the SP is not good and it's so frustrating to see her make huge mistakes in the SP time and again. I don't get how she can go out and nail 5, 6, 7 triples in her FS no problem on a regular basis, but then can't manage doing 3 or even 2 triples in the SP. Aargh.

I guess the good news is, if the team does end up being Tuk and Sot, with a Sot SP and Tuk FS, Russia might have a good chance at winning a team medal. That being said the way it looks now I think Lipnitskaya will be on the team.

LEAVE EDMUNDS ALONE!!1!
    Pogorilaya's presentation has definitely improved this season.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Pogorilaya's presentation has definitely improved this season.
    Agreed. I found her to be kinda bland and boring last season on the JGP but she had the difficult content and she landed the jumps. I liked what I saw of her test skate a few months ago. The program had a little kick to it and I saw more of Anna's personality coming through. If she's able to maintain her consistency she'll be tough competition for nationals.

LEAVE EDMUNDS ALONE!!1!
    She's still not great but last season it was jumps and nothing else. This season she's clearly worked on improving her posture and lines and her SP has lots of upper body movement throughout. She's still far from being the most elegant skater but she's moving in the right direction. And her incredible consistency seems to be still here. Russian Nationals will certainly be a bloodbath.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast