Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Skate America Pairs Short Program

V/T were wonderful broke their own world record!

Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    That's an interesting point. I don't have a lot of disposable income, but this year I actually could have gone to Skate America... calendar and bankbook were in alignment. I didn't even consider it because it's in Detroit.
    I'm not positive but I think there's a large ice rink on WDW property (Wide World of Sports - I think they have one for hockey, not sure)... they *could* host an event, I would think... if they have the facility.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I would LOVE if a skating event would go to Orlando... though that would be a very expensive trip for me (I can't go to Orlando without visiting Disney).
    Nationals was in Orlando in 1992. Some pretty weird practice arenas.

Skate America always has lots of empty seats. This discussion has been going on for at least 20 years. Detroit has an active skating community that bids for events - thus they get them. I'm sorry if I sound a bit jaundiced. I've just seen/heard these discussions a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    hmmm so they're overdue for another one!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    hmmm so they're overdue for another one!
    Only if they have better practice facilities. In one the speaker system was so low pairs could not practice there. Novice men's competition was there - no seats except the cafe and about 200 people stood for the whole thing. The other also had no seats. Novice ladies was there. People crowded on the balcony and around the edges.

I'm sure they could do better now - it was a different time. It all depends on the local clubs getting a bid together.

This should probably be discussed elsewhere. Back to pairs.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post

Skate America always has lots of empty seats. This discussion has been going on for at least 20 years. Detroit has an active skating community that bids for events - thus they get them. I'm sorry if I sound a bit jaundiced. I've just seen/heard these discussions a lot.
    I think the situation with Orlando and ice has gotten better since 1992. And the socio-economic situation in Detroit has gotten worse.

skating philosopher
    Ironically in recent times Skate America/Nationals have done quite well in the Pacific Northwest, an area that hasn't been exactly a hotbed for elite skaters (Tonya Harding nonwithstanding). There's a strong skating community there, however, form what I can see even if it doesn't produce a lot of national/world champions.

It sounds like Boston will do well with Nationals this year though.

Custom Title
    The scores are rather generous - like take 5 marks off each team maybe? A lot of these teams are third tier though they could have improved I still thinkthe scoring is high, high in all disciplines like five marks but maybe there is a new element or something I missed that has created this situation - hmm but all categories?

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Wow at the score of V/T! I like their short a lot, Tatjana looks so royal!

Awaiting Boris and Oleg
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Wow at the score of V/T! I like their short a lot, Tatjana looks so royal!
    She did look quite lovely -- a bit softer look than usual for her, I thought, and it was very becoming.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    My understanding is that Detroit is extremely depressed economically, which would decrease the number of casual local fans.

I don't know why they picked Detroit as a host; I imagine that there were some financial benefits to be realized in terms of venue, and so forth.

Of course, I really don't know what goes into account when choosing a host city for a GP event.
    At this moment, Detroit--or at least the Detroit area--seems to have one of the most successful elite skating communities in the U.S. It's heartbreaking that municipal Detroit has just fallen into the abyss. It used to be one of the most important cities in America because of the auto industry. It had all the cultural amenities that a major city from the first half of the 20th century would have: a leading symphony orchestra, an opera, an incredible museum, and of course premier sports facilities (for its elite baseball, football, and hockey teams). I once read that, after New York and maybe Chicago, it had the largest stock of Art Deco buildings in the country, but that about 40% of them are now vacant.

Medalist
    Pls stolbova klimov win a medal!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by icedinn View Post
    Pls stolbova klimov win a medal!
    They still don't have a triple twist. They'll probably need Berton/Hotarek to mess up again in the FS but maybe not... As noted earlier, their scores are getting a boost now that Kawaguchi/Smirnov are injured. I'm amazed that they managed to score almost 65 points without a triple twist.

Custom Title
    I think some of the top teams don't do triple twists in the short - it also depends on the level too and factor in goe's. S and K were working on triple twists I understand- the Italians for a while looked like they were going to be world medallists and then the two Canadians picked up their game and Pang and tong returned - and there always seems to be a second russian team nipping at a medal. Italy is trying to assert itself for a olympic team medal. They could easily medal in women and dance and maybe eek out a medal in pairs. so if Bariev I mean whatever his name is rigini?? something that sounds like a twisted pasta skates well who knows.

Custom Title
    Could someone post the results of the Pairs Short? I missed it! :(

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast