2013 Skate America Ladies Short Program | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2013 Skate America Ladies Short Program

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I disagree; Ashley's interpretation has very little connection to the music, which was, for me, the big disappointment in an otherwise well skated program. Congratulations on her 3F+3T though (with positive GOE, no less)! :clap:

Well if we all agreed on everything what a dull world we would live in. :)

ucrgirl

On the Ice
Mao's programs this year are beautiful. I love Kim, but I'm starting to think Mao has a strong case for gold.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Ashley has set herself out to be the American to beat and one who could claim an olympic medal:)

Agree. I think she becomes one of the favourites for the 3d place or even higher if other make mistakes. But she needs to work on her 3-3. She could improve it.

samson

Medalist
Ashley is certainly starting to make a case for herself. MAN you can tell it's an olympic season when three ladies are scoring 67+ in the short program at Skate America.

I still maintain if the last three seasons had seen more competitions where the skating would look like this, we'd have more people watching. You had the young upstart flying past the early skaters, with some of us wondering if she'd remain the standard. Then the two headliners delivered and set up what looks like an exciting showdown for the free skate.

yuki

Final Flight
Well if we all agreed on everything what a dull world we would live in. :)

Thank you for your polite response!
To elaborate a bit, it's specifically her 'fierce' facial expressions that I had a problem with - they clash with the mood established by the music (nostalgic, reflective, regretful). It's not Black Swan that she's skating to, but the expressions she employs are similar. The program is nicely choreographed otherwise. It doesn't really help that I love Shine on You and was thrilled to find out that she's skating to it this season, so I'm inclined to be a little more nitpicky than usual :).

Anyway, terrific score for her (PB, I think?). The 3F-3T brings her scoring potential over 70, which means that she could be a threat to the podium in Sochi.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Ashley is definitely a threat especially since Ice is slippery and I think she has enough experience and maturity to beat all the russian ladies. Mao and Carolina can always bomb and even Yuna may be at risk with her injury - if anyone knows how serious it is. She is clearly stronger and going to get the backing being no. 1 in us than the other Japanese ladies.

Sara

On the Ice
I liked both Mao's and Ashley's programmes a lot. Was surprised to see Ashleys' components so close to Mao's. I think the choreos suited these two ladies perfectly! Beautiful dresses as well. I was a bit afraid Radionova would fail, she had a bad fall in the warm-up and seemed really nervous. Vikki's dress didn't suit her (I have a problem with the colour, Meryl was wearing a dress of a similar colour and it didn't suit her either, imo). If I remember correct, I saw Tuk doing similar mistakes with the opening jumps in both her short and long programmes couple of weeks ago in Finlandia Trophy, but she managed to stay on her feet.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I loved the top three. And I really liked Ashleys look with the ponytail and her hair seems darker since I last watched her. Makes her look so much more natural. And how cute was Mao's surprised face in the knc! :)

lavender

Record Breaker
I actually like Ashley's short program. Although her long is a pretty type of program I just couldn't get into it.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Hmm, even if Ashley hair is darker now she must have really bleached it before because it is pretty blonde. She has that Tonya Harding look actually; I am not sure I would say she was into a music but love the 3F3T though her spins the extensions seem unAmerican - not the stretch one expects with all the money and training of the top US lady.

R.D.

Record Breaker
We'll have to wait for the FS, but it looks like Wagner is attempting to break into the elite level. Even last year, on the international scale she was still very much second-rate behind Kim/JPN ladies/Kostner. But Wagner needs to score in 130+ territory in the FS to truly reach it.

I didn't think Wagner could do it, she is one of those "very good but not truly GREAT" skaters. Still, having a fully rotated 3-3 makes a difference. If she can get the levels up on her spins she would be very competitive for an Olympic medal...and on the national level, she'd keep herself one step above Miss Gold. (I always said that if Wagner stayed the course, she was going to be eventually overtaken by Gold...although if the latter finds her head, it could still happen even with a Wagner 3-3)

CarneAsada

Medalist

tulosai

Record Breaker
We'll have to wait for the FS, but it looks like Wagner is attempting to break into the elite level. Even last year, on the international scale she was still very much second-rate behind Kim/JPN ladies/Kostner. But Wagner needs to score in 130+ territory in the FS to truly reach it.

I didn't think Wagner could do it, she is one of those "very good but not truly GREAT" skaters. Still, having a fully rotated 3-3 makes a difference. If she can get the levels up on her spins she would be very competitive for an Olympic medal...and on the national level, she'd keep herself one step above Miss Gold. (I always said that if Wagner stayed the course, she was going to be eventually overtaken by Gold...although if the latter finds her head, it could still happen even with a Wagner 3-3)

I pretty much agree with this. I hoped Wagner could do it but I never really thought it would quite happen for her. I just didn't believe she could do the 3-3. But if she has the 3-3 and it is consistent both in rotation and landing, and she can get her spins to level 4 (which we know she can) and especially if she also gets the 2A-3 then she's in the mix, she really is.

Ashley was on track last year to work up to the triole-triple by the end of the season. Injuries scuttled that plan. Now she is taking up where she left off.

About PCSs, we shouldn't be surprised if a powerful skater can score right up thee with an ethereal, beautiful butterfly like Mao. This isn't 6.0. You get points for other things than grace and charm.