2013 Skate America Ladies Short Program | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2013 Skate America Ladies Short Program

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I agree, I thought Ashley's look was very Shae-Lynn a la Michael Jackson medley program. I didn't see Tonya so much -- Tonya's hair always looked so frizzled and thin.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Actually, this Wagner program IMO is her weakest since the move to Nicks. Despite the tech content upgrade, I thought it was otherwise just a barely "above average" program...

PolymerBob

Record Breaker
I just got back to my computer. Obviously I'm not thrilled and delighted, but great job Ashley.
Maybe she can pull off the up-set.

shine

Record Breaker
Oh how I love Radionova.... Her skating is so joyous and genuine.... Love, love, love her musicality and smile. If she can fix her shoulders, she'd be the female version of my dream skater.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Actually, this Wagner program IMO is her weakest since the move to Nicks. Despite the tech content upgrade, I thought it was otherwise just a barely "above average" program...

Yep. But it is strong music and if it energizes her in the SP at the Olympics to get that 3/3 it will set her up nicely for the LP. I've liked all her programs since her move to Nicks, but this one is a step back IMO. I'm not really into her LP either this season.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Mao Asada, hum! maybe I'm nostalgic but I prefer her «Nocturne» in 2006, I liked the triple flip/ triple loop in her early age. Too bad that she isn't able to make triple/triple anymore. But, I credit her for doing triple axel! she is amazing, but I don't know, I find that this new «Nocturne» doesn't suit Mao skating like in 2006, the music looks to slow to her skating who is much stronger and faster in 2013. This nocturne program miss somes things :think:

I wouldn't count her 3/3 out yet!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pGD8vFwppA&feature=youtu.be
(Mao practicing 3axels and 3flip/3loop)

I agree about Nocturne and the reasons you raised about why it doesn't suit her now that much. She's not just an lyrical "airy" skater anymore. Each stroke is quite deep and strong. I don't love her LP as much as her SP this season.

All that said, what a thrilling start of the season! Top 3 with 3axel or 3/3s in the short!!

Eislauf

On the Ice
I haven't seen Ashley look this confident and fierce on the ice since 2012. I like the fact that she's trying untraditional music, no warhorses, no generic classical pieces. She took a risk with this program and I found it a refreshing change from the traditional ballet-type programs and classical skating styles.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Dang, people are harsh when you're a frontrunner :p I thought Ashley was swell and I thought her short program definitely suited her style, although I preferred last year's. It was a thrill to see her looking so strong and confident. I'm glad another poster before me noticed the wrong color tights though. What's up with that? Loved the lip color though.

Ashley blew everyone out of the water, performance-wise, until Mao came along. No one in this competition comes close to matching Mao's exquisiteness.

As for the Russian girl...I don't remember her performance. The yellow-streamer costume blinded me.

shine

Record Breaker
As for the Russian girl...I don't remember her performance. The yellow-streamer costume blinded me.
The Russian girl's name is Elena Radionova. Maybe when she starts winning some international gold medals in the near future you won't be so dismissive. :rolleye:

Layfan

Record Breaker
The Russian girl's name is Elena Radionova. Maybe when she starts winning some international gold medals in the near future you won't be so dismissive. :rolleye:

She already has won international gold medals and she did wonderfully this competition. I was exaggerating - it wasn't meant to be taken as a serious comment.

suzukifan27

Match Penalty

Despite all the hype, I wasn't impressed. Not very good skating skills. Jumps barely off ground. I doubt she can survive puberty monster.

Mao's 3A appear clean to me, definitely not 2-footed.

It was two-footed and slightly cheated (under 1/4) as well.

Direct link to slo-mo (might get taken down before you get the chance to see it :p):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDUp1t8Gkww&feature=youtu.be&t=4m44s

It's understated and it's not the explosive, in your face kind of program but then neither is the music.

Oh how I love Radionova.... Her skating is so joyous and genuine.... Love, love, love her musicality and smile. If she can fix her shoulders, she'd be the female version of my dream skater.

I was very surprised how well she presented her program and moved to the music considering how young she is. She was quite light over the ice as well.

More speed and power and higher jumps would be good to see - yes - but given how tiny she is, it's probably as much as she's capable of at this stage.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Tuktamysheva looks really nice without those thick black things in her legs. If she one day will handle the sp without mistake(s), she will be a formidable competitor. Radianova I did not like so much although her jumping was great, though, but that is not so difficult with a little girl´s thin body.

Wagner was great, the new coach Aratunian seems to have done wonders to her and Rippon in a short time.

katymay

Medalist
Dang, people are harsh when you're a frontrunner :p I thought Ashley was swell and I thought her short program definitely suited her style, although I preferred last year's. It was a thrill to see her looking so strong and confident. I'm glad another poster before me noticed the wrong color tights though. What's up with that? Loved the lip color though.

Ashley blew everyone out of the water, performance-wise, until Mao came along. No one in this competition comes close to matching Mao's exquisiteness.

LOL and I agree. Watching it again-Ashley looked polished and well trained. Teeny tiny mistakes. Mao is magical. But Elena Rowhatshername? I don't get it. Samantha should have finished much higher. Just that awful spread eagle is enough to make me cringe...(with the unintentionally bent up knees). I mean Elena, not Samantha.

Bartek

On the Ice
I wouldn't count her 3/3 out yet!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pGD8vFwppA&feature=youtu.be
(Mao practicing 3axels and 3flip/3loop)

I agree about Nocturne and the reasons you raised about why it doesn't suit her now that much. She's not just an lyrical "airy" skater anymore. Each stroke is quite deep and strong. I don't love her LP as much as her SP this season.

All that said, what a thrilling start of the season! Top 3 with 3axel or 3/3s in the short!!

Mao did bring her triple-triple back already last season. She landed 3F-3Lo at 4CC and World Team Trophy and planned it at Worlds but failed in the FS. I'm really proud of her because over those last three seasons she went to the drawing board and re-worked her jumps successfully even though at some point people totally counted her out. She improves gradually from season to season. For example last season she got more consistent with all the jumps including the lutz and salchow but didn't had flow on the landings apart from the axel and loop. This season you can easily discern the improvement in her flip landings. The one she landed in SP and the one from practice clip have really nice flow-out. It's great for Mao because it's been her drawback when compared to Yu-Na's and Carolina's jumps.

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - RESULT & VIDEOS

1. Mao ASADA (JPN) - 73.18 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
2. Ashley WAGNER (USA) - 69.26 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
3. Elena RADIONOVA (RUS) - 67.01 Short Program
4. Valentina MARCHEI (ITA) - 59.25 Short Program
5. Viktoria HELGESSON (SWE) - 58.80 Short Program, 2nd Copy
6. Elene GEDEVANISHVILI (GEO) - 56.68 Short Program, 2nd Copy
7. Mae Berenice MEITE (FRA) - 55.84 Short Program
8. Samantha CESARIO (USA) - 53.51 Short program
9. Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA (RUS) - 53.20 Short Program
10. Caroline ZHANG (USA) - 45.76 Short Program

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I'm glad to see Mao as a healthy-looking, determine and calm young lady, not a nervous, put under enormous pressure girl who couldn't manage with her own emotion and whole expectations. She can already express the real feelings of the music, she became that music yesterday- I'm a Polish girl who is proud Chopin listener and yesterday her performance to Nocturne brought me almost to tears. Afterall she is a true artist and for me it is the most important thing in that sport if someone can move you with performance, take you somewhere else - she did it with me and I hope for a great season for her.

Ashley was a suprise for me - her music choices are fierce and risky for that olympic year. She definetly pushes herself to develop technically and artistically. From sp I can already see a technical raise, I'm not sure if there's an artistic developement also (I must rewatch the program few times and think about it as a whole performance, not a complex of required elements). But foremost I admire her determination, "attacking' attitude and bravery, this lady can do something this year, definetly.