2013 Skate America Ladies Short Program | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2013 Skate America Ladies Short Program

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I noticed that Ashley has two level-3 spins (FSSp and CCoSp) and that they're actually planned as level 3, she's not even trying to get a level 4: she's performing only two level features in each spin (two difficult variations in the FSSp, and the jumped change of foot+the broken leg position in the CCoSp). This means automatically losing 0.9 points, almost one point: :unsure::confused: Maybe she is planning to hold one of the positions for 8+ revolutions? But she was clearly not trying to do that during her performance...

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES SHORT PROGRAM - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Mao ASADA (JPN) - 73.18 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy, 5th Copy
2. Ashley WAGNER (USA) - 69.26 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
3. Elena RADIONOVA (RUS) - 67.01 Short Program, 2nd Copy
4. Valentina MARCHEI (ITA) - 59.25 Short Program, 2nd Copy
5. Viktoria HELGESSON (SWE) - 58.80 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
6. Elene GEDEVANISHVILI (GEO) - 56.68 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
7. Mae Berenice MEITE (FRA) - 55.84 Short Program, 2nd Copy
8. Samantha CESARIO (USA) - 53.51 Short program, 2nd Copy
9. Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA (RUS) - 53.20 Short Program, 2nd Copy
10. Caroline ZHANG (USA) - 45.76 Short Program, 2nd Copy

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I noticed that Ashley has two level-3 spins (FSSp and CCoSp) and that they're actually planned as level 3, she's not even trying to get a level 4.

No, her combination spin is a planned Level 4 and that's what she attempted too: backward entrance, upside down camel position, change of foot with a jump, and broken leg sit position.

Ashley's 3Toe combo was totally underrotated. She cheats the entrance of that jump so much by pulling around on the ice with her toepick. :mad:

Bartek

On the Ice
No, her combination spin is a planned Level 4 and that's what she attempted too: backward entrance, upside down camel position, change of foot with a jump, and broken leg sit position.

Ashley's 3Toe combo was totally underrotated. She cheats the entrance of that jump so much by pulling around on the ice with her toepick. :mad:

That's right, if you look very closely at the place on the ice where she took off the toe it was almost half a turn cheated.

FSGMT

Record Breaker

So what do you think made her lose a level? The broken leg position maybe? :think:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I know I'm biased as I have a crush on her, but most of the things that people were saying they didn't like about Liza's SP (including Nicky and Simon) were the things I did like about it!

I forgot to go looking for videos of the Finlandia performances before Skate America started, but I had read some of the comments at the time. And I remember some people (including you-know-who that always criticises Liza!) complaining about her costume.

Well, I actually liked it! Yes, she was wearing yet another black costume (and there's nothing wrong with that. If she likes wearing black, then who are we to complain?!). But at least this one had a totally different shape and design to it. The implied bare shoulder and bare arms made the world of difference.

As for Liza's music, I didn't think it was as bad as the Eurosport commentators made out. It would have been alright were it not for the "vocals". That wail at the end would have woke up all the dogs in Detroit!!! Get rid of the "vocals", and it would be a lot better.

As for the skate itself, there is no denying that it wasn't great. But, one thing I did like was the way Liza was putting in a bit of personality. In fact, it reminded me a lot of Akiko Suzuki's style of skating, in this respect.

As for the rest of the competitors, there are just 2 things I want to comment about. Firstly, I think something needs to be done about Valentina Marchei's costume. Nothing major - she just needs a good bra. It is really off-putting when a female skater comes on the ice, and you realise just how cold they are, because you see the outline of things you shouldn't see the outline of!

So, I was not at all surprised when Valentina wrapped her coat around her VERY tightly when she was sitting waiting for the results! :laugh:

Secondly, is it just me, or is Mao Asada getting worryingly thin again? I remember during the 2011 GP Series thinking "She is getting scarily thin". This was shortly before her Mum died, so you can understand why - she had a lot on her mind. She stayed like that for about a season or so, but was back to a healthy looking weight last season. And what a relief it was to see!

But, after seeing her at Skate America, I am getting concerned about her again. I really hope that it is not the pressure of this being an Olympic season starting to get to her. Not only has she got the pressure of the form Kim Yu-Na is in after what happened at Worlds, but she also has the pressure of getting onto the Japanese team in the first place, given how much competition there is in the Ladies category this time round.

Mao - don't worry about it. You'll definitely get on the team. And as for Yu-Na, you've beaten her before, and you can certainly do it again!

But you'll only beat her if you look after yourself and stay healthy. And worrying will not help you to do that.

CaroLiza_fan

Rami

Rinkside
I thought all of the short programs were nice. My favourites were Asada, Wagner and Marchei. I've never been much of fan of Ashley but her sp this year is quite nice and modern. I just hope that she will be practising her skating skills more and lets the presentation happen normally. Now she is pushing it a bit too much.