Links to other Reports:
Ice Dance – Short Dance
Ice Dance – Free Dance
Ladies – Free Skating
Men – Short Program
Men – Free Skating
Pairs – Short Program
Pairs – Free Skating

Disclaimer: The GOE values listed next to the elements are ones I would award if I was a judge and they’re intended to give you a general impression of how each element was executed. I try to describe each of the elements but there's not always time to be as detailed as I would like and a numbers can sometimes say a thousand words.

I am generally very nitpicky, try to pay a lot of attention to detail and attempt to notice various errors that judges might have missed. I realise that I’m being very harsh but I try my best to apply the same high standard to all of the skaters.

Any questions, comments, criticisms and discussion are all very welcome.

---

The arena still seems half empty.

1. Caroline ZHANG /USA/
Phantom of the Opera by Andrew Lloyd Webber

3loop(cheated over a quarter)/2toe [-1]
popped flip [-3] – less than one and a half revolution landed on two-footed, no preceding steps
to camel/sit pancake/change up var to V [1] – quite good positions and rotation speed
a very well extended spiral towards 2axel [0]
to flying camel coe to upward twist to catch [-1] – positions a little strained, off-centred for the second half
circular step sequence [0] – could use more speed
layback to sideways to layback catch [0] – good extension and rotation speed but off-centred quite considerably at the start

Not a lot of relation to the music and not much happening in the program besides cross-overs. Quite a sluggish performance.

2. Samantha CESARIO /USA/
Fever

three-turns towards 3loop(slightly cheated)/3loop(cheated over 1/2) [-2] – both jumps had solid landings but it was clear that the second wasn’t fully rotated
3flip(slightly cheated) [-1] – had to fight for the landing
layback to sideways to catch to biellmann [0]
2axel [0]
to flying sit cannonball to broken leg to forward tuck [1] – quite good rotation speed
circular step sequence [1]
camel/sit/up Y/change camel/sit/up var to scratch [1] – quite good rotation speed

Quite detailed upper body movement and decent expression throughout. Her movements weren’t very varied, however, and the program layout seemed pretty generic.

3. Elena RADIONOVA /RUS/
Anna Karenina (soundtrack)
Two Steps From Hell

3lutz/3toe [0] – clean but not a lot of height
transitions to camel to catch/up var/change up var/sit broken leg [1] – good entry, quite decent rotation speed
circular step sequence [1] – good flow
to flying sit cannonball coe to forward tuck [1]
3loop [1] – solid
spread eagle to 2axel [0] – landing a little tight
sideways(off-centred) to layback catch to hyper-extended biellmann – excellent positions, good rotation speed (but off-centred a fair amount at the start) [1]

The program featured a fair amount of transitions and upper body movement throughout and she skated to the music quite well. She had the whole package and when you consider how tiny she is, she generated quite a lot of speed and power for her size.

4. Elene GEDEVANISHVILI /GEO/
Snowstorm Romance by Georgi Sviridov

3lutz/2toe [0] – lutz landing a little tight, not a lot of speed out
3toe [-1] – the jump was solid (1) but there was a long break after steps
sideways to layback [1] – not a lot of extension but good flow and rotation speed
2axel [1]
to flying sit cannonball to side twist to forward bend [0] – interesting positions and decent rotation speed but off-centred on the last position
straight line step sequence [1] – flowed well
camel to coe/change sit holding foot/up var to Y [-1] – quite good positions and rotation speed but off-centred throughout

Decent speed and flow, soft and elegant movement in character of the music. Technically, she was on top of her game but the choreography was quite generic.

5. Mae Berenice MEITE /FRA/
The Question of U by Prince

3toe/3toe(step out) [-2]
3loop [-1] – solid (1) but a lack of preceding steps
flying camel coe to catch [1] – good rotation speed
2axel [1] – high, good speed out
camel/up Y/chance sit holding foot to broken leg/up [1] – quite good rotation speed
straight line step sequence [0]
sideways to layback catch to biellmann [1] – quite good rotation speed

Good use of her arms throughout, reflecting the music well, but she skated with a really stiff back and rounded shoulders. Strong spins.

6. Valentina MARCHEI /ITA/
Torna a suriento

three-turns into 3salchow [1] - solid
3lutz/2toe [1] – good height on the lutz, solid landings
flying sit to broken leg/jump to tuck [0]
2axel [1] – solid, good speed out, nice exit into transitions
to sideways to layback to catch [0] – quite good rotation speed but off-centred a little
camel/sit/up Y/change camel catch/sit forward bend [1] – quite good rotation speed

It was interesting to see her skate a more longato program, given how perky she usually is, but it worked. It was an impassioned performance with good attention to detail throughout and the program flowed well.

She has improved her personal best by 1.02 points.

7. Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA /RUS/
Latin Medley

1lutz/3toe(slightly underrotated, landed on the wrong foot, fall) [-3]
3loop [0] – solid landing with good flow out but a slight break after steps
flying sit var to coe to forward bend [0]
circular step sequence [0]
2axel [1] – solid
sideways to layback catch to biellmann [1] – decent positions and rotation speed
camel to upward catch/up/change sit broken leg/up forward bend to catch [2] – very fast rotation

I would question the decision to keep this program for another season. Whilst she moved to the music most of the time and reflected some of its accents as well, the choreography is not very creative, lacks Latin character and the program was quite front-loaded.

8. Viktoria HELGESSON /SWE/
Mystery Waltz by Laeroport de Biarritz
Waltz (from "Eyes Wide Shut" soundtrack) by Dmitri Shostakovich

3toe/2toe [1] - solid
3loop [-1] – slight break after steps, not a lot of flow out
sideways to layback with speed increase [1] – extension lacking but good rotation speed
steps to 2axel [1] – secure landing, could use a little more speed out though
flying sit holding foot to broken leg to forward tuck [0]
steps to camel/sit/up Y/change camel/jump to sit/up [0]

Quite smooth and light basic skating. The program contained a lot of connecting steps and she showed soft and elegant movement, in character of the music. The choreography wasn’t very varied, however, and the program lacked highlights, something that would stand out and be memorable.

She has improved her personal best by 0.44 points.

9. Ashley WAGNER /USA/
Shine On You Crazy Diamond by Pink Floyd

3flip/3toe [0] – solid landings but the toe was slightly cheated
flying sit side twist to forward tuck [0]
camel to upward twist/jump to change sit broken leg/scratch [0]
spread eagle to turns to 3loop [1]
fan kick towards 2axel [1]
to circular step sequence [1]
layback to sideways to layback catch to biellmann [0] – a little slow

A well choreographed program featuring understated upper body movement, in character of the music, throughout as well as a fair amount of transitions. A really confident and composed performance. Great job on the jumps, spins could use some work, though.

She has improved her personal best by 2.82 points.

10. ASADA Mao /JPN/
Nocturne in E flat major op. 9, no. 2 Andante by Frederic Chopin

3axel [-3] – cheated almost 1/4, two-footed
3flip [1] – solid
camel/up Y/change sit broken leg/up var [1] – quite good rotation speed
to scratch butterflies to flying camel upward twist to upward catch coe [0] – quite good positions but off-centred on the last one
3loop/2loop [0] – not a lot of speed out
straight line step sequence [2] – light footwork
layback to sideways to layback catch to biellmann [1]

Her gentle movement reflected the character of the music very well. Light over the ice.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Thank you for the analysis as always :)Tukt hasn't kept a short for second season, it is a new short program, inside her comfort zone again though

I like having a separate thread for summaries. The ladies sp thread is really long and mostly comments.

I really enjoy this separate thread also. It helps me know what to look for when I get to see the videos. Thanks for your work recording all the jump sequences and analyzing the programs, Ziggy!

There's a ladies sp thread. Same for all other disciplines.

If my threads clutter the forum too much, I can consolidate all of them into one perhaps? I don't want to spam just want the reports to be able to be found easily.

Thank you for the analysis as always :)Tukt hasn't kept a short for second season, it is a new short program, inside her comfort zone again though

Oops that is my bad! Thanks for pointing it out. :eek::

The music, the dress and the choreography all looked really similar to what she's had last season.

lmarie086

Medalist
Ziggy, I'm really enjoying your analysis of the programs/performances! Thank you for taking the time to do all this :)

I haven't posted here much in the last couple seasons, but this is one factor that drew me back. Keep the reports coming!

Thanks lmarie086 (and everybody else). Comments like this make it feel really worthwhile. :)

brightphoton

Medalist
Yes, I really appreciate your summaries. They're like play-by-plays, but more detailed, and consolidated into one easy-to-find, timely thread. :) Truthfully, it's the first place I go to if I want to know the results of a GP event.