Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Skate America Men Free Skating

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by rosacotton View Post
    And yet again men's figure skating proves to be very difficult to predict! Overall good competition. Congratulations to the medalists! And honorable mention to Jason Brown, whose Riverdance program I think will become one of my favorite men's programs of the season.

Japanese Nationals and US Nationals are going to be heartbreaking.
    I can't believe US only has two spots. Who do you want to go to Olympics? I love Jeremy, Adam, and Jason about equally, and I like Max a lot too! Ross Miner not on their level imo.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wordsworthgirl View Post
    I can't believe US only has two spots. Who do you want to go to Olympics? I love Jeremy, Adam, and Jason about equally, and I like Max a lot too! Ross Miner not on their level imo.
    If Ross Miner were to make the Olympic team, I would literally find a brick wall and do this.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    If Ross Miner were to make the Olympic team, I would literally find a brick wall and do this.
    You just made me laugh!!! i'm in awe of YOUR technical skills making that head hit hit that *brick wall*!

I so wish Jeremy Abbott, Adam Rippon, Joshua Farris, Jason Brown, and Alexander Johnson could all make the Olympic team for the US. It's so unfair to only have 2 spots.

skating philosopher
    I think Ross is great and has a good shot as anyone. I get his style isn't for everyone, but he definitely has some great skating skills and can hit the programs when it counts.

Custom Title
    If Ross Miner were to make the Olympic team, I will literally find a brick wall and do this.
    I want Adam to skate that program with the skate of his life in the Olympics. The second spot will have to be either Jeremy, Jason, or Josh (haven't seen him skate this year though). Max has to up the artistry to interest me.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jan View Post
    I am not a fan of Jason Brown's program. ... Besides not having the technical elements, he is too slow. I like some of the positions he hits but I find he is too deliberate.
    Clearly I'm not seeing what many are seeing with Jason's skating; I don't know if it's the speed or what, but I find that it's a lot of posturing and not a lot of content, or something. Anyway, I certainly don't begrudge him the excitement he seems to be generating, but I don't get it. Similarly, I never really enjoyed Jeremy Abbott, either, even at his peak.

But ADAM, now -- wow! Loved his performances at this event and hope he builds on them into a landmark season for him. I hope that Adam and Josh Farris are on the U.S. team for Sochi! (Dream and hope, not necessarily prediction, as it's too early for that.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I think Ross is great and has a good shot as anyone. I get his style isn't for everyone, but he definitely has some great skating skills and can hit the programs when it counts.
    Uh, like when he finished 14th at Worlds last season.

Custom Title
    Great win for Machida!! That puts him 5th on the PB total list ahead of Hanyu. I know people are getting hung up about his PCS but I think his programs were well performed. There have been programs by skaters in the past that have received even higher PCS even with less transitions and mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderlen3000 View Post
    this is men skating....every quad you land, your PCS points go up by 1-2 point. 83 seem reasonable for what his produce, when u compare other big guns are gettin g over 90+ in PCS.
    Actually, the only big gun that consistently gets 90+ PCS is Patrick Chan. Javier, Hanyu... both are sitting comfortably in the mid to high 80s range when they deliver.

The fact that you can say that indicates there's a problem with PCS judging. I still see no case for direct correlation between high TES and an automatic PCS increase.

Custom Title
    ! That's when I lost hope/confidence in him. He is not a "special" skater, but has typically been a consistent, solid skater, and that's why US chose to send him to Worlds- they thought he had less of a chance of imploding than others. Well, he imploded. Since then, his one big strength is gone. I do think he's a nice, solid skater but he isn't the present and he isn't the future.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Someone critiqued Machida's hair. Jason is the one who needs a makeover in that department.
    Both Brown and Machida make me feel very awkward. They're athletes and not models I get that. However when you're in a sport like figure skating, especially when you might be potentially representing your country at the Olympics, having an awareness/sense of beauty and presentation I think is so important. I sound shallow I know.

Quote Originally Posted by wordsworthgirl View Post
    Rippon's PCS and transition far superior to Machida. I agree with you.
    Rippon's program was just so wonderful!

skating philosopher
    Oh geez. Okay, he doesn't do it every time. I guess I mostly meant his nationals performances. He has yet to do badly at nationals. Of course there's a first time for everything.

Point is I wouldn't count him out.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    I want Adam to skate that program with the skate of his life in the Olympics. The second spot will have to be either Jeremy, Jason, or Josh (haven't seen him skate this year though). Max has to up the artistry to interest me.
    Me too! LOVE Adam's skating and love Adam ever since watching his interview with the Skating Lesson. Tai Babilonia is a big fan of his too, and I trust her judgment. I don't know Josh's skating well but have heard he can be great and probably has the most potential for the future. I'm with you on Max, although I do think he seems like a sweet guy, and he is the only one capable of delivering quads consistently (or was, until this season, that is!)

Custom Title
    I so wish Jeremy Abbott, Adam Rippon, Joshua Farris, Jason Brown, and Alexander Johnson could all make the Olympic team for the US. It's so unfair to only have 2 spots.
    yes I agree.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast