2013 Skate America Men Free Skating | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2013 Skate America Men Free Skating

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So proud of Max! :) He's a FIGHTER! Love his determination & toughness. Even being a little off his game, he never gave up, never gave in! :agree:

Yes, way to go Max. Despite whatever shortcomings he has, you got to love his competitive spirit and drive.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
You don't love one of my favorites (Jason) but you love my other big favorite (Adam)! Adam is beautiful, elegant, classic, balletic, graceful, and has a quiet star quality. and let's be honest, here, he's also beautiful physically- my stepdaughter was almost passing out she thought he was "so gorgeous!"

I'm trying to get into Jason and I think he has tons of potential, but to me at least it's just not a finished product yet. But yeah, Adam and Jeremy are otherworldly with their talent. I preferred Adam with the long hair though. It is sad US Men can only send two. My preferences are Jeremy and Adam of course. But I still see Max on the team, with Adam getting left off.

Eislauf

On the Ice
I am not a fan of Jason Brown's program. I also did not the costume. He is not in the same league as the top skaters in the world. Besides not having the technical elements, he is too slow. I like some of the positions he hits but I find he is too deliberate.

I agree. I thought Jason's costumes in both his short and long were "too costume-y", too literal, like something you'd wear to a Halloween party. And while he has beautiful edges and long lean lines, I just don't feel any emotion when I watch him. He's still a junior skater, IMO. And then you have the inimitable Dai - yes, his age is catching up with him with his jumps, but Dai's artistry, showmanship, refinement, connection with the audience and musical interpretation are peerless. Plus, his costuming is always sophisticated, often surprisingly unique and always of couture quality. I'm glad Dai got the highest PCS.

Eislauf

On the Ice
Someone critiqued Machida's hair. Jason is the one who needs a makeover in that department. Looks spinsterish and like that character Ruth Bussey used to play.

Yes to Jason changing his hair. It lacks refinement and doesn't say "world class senior skater" to me. If men's ponytails were in vogue right now, that would be one thing, but they're not - they look dated and a bit goofy.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Sad about Jason, but it's his first senior GP and he needed to nail everything to have a shot at a top placement. You could tell he was nervous with all of his heavy breaths even before the warm-up started and his off-timing throughout the piece. Maybe it's because of the smaller rink and the change in the placement of the second double axel, because his performance at Nebelhorn shows where the elements as they were supposed to be timed. I hope he has better luck at Trophee Eric Bompard.

I could not agree more about the heavy breathing! I have written about it twice on here. Having watched Jason for years, I knew he was uncharacteristically super nervous tonight.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I so wish Jeremy Abbott, Adam Rippon, Joshua Farris, Jason Brown, and Alexander Johnson could all make the Olympic team for the US. It's so unfair to only have 2 spots. :cry:

Obviously it'd be nice to see these guys at the Olympics and they're talented but I don't think many of them are Olympic calibre yet. Each is lacking a quad, consistency, experience, etc.

ghislaine

Rinkside
Yes to Jason changing his hair. It lacks refinement and doesn't say "world class senior skater" to me. If men's ponytails were in vogue right now, that would be one thing, but they're not - they look dated and a bit goofy.

His hair length is fine. It makes him stand out and it goes with his face. I wish he'd part it differently, though - maybe have side braids for Reel Around The Sun? I think the green on his costume should be darker, the gold deeper and confined to sleeves and collar. Pants should be brown. Earth tones.

I've just described an elf costume out of Lord of the Rings. It would work.

ks777

Record Breaker
I don't get Jason. I don't enjoy his skating at all. Some of his jump technique is really weird especially 3A. I don't really care for his style. Just too feminine for my liking. I used to feel the same way about Adam but he is a much pleasant skater now.

yude

Record Breaker
Congratulations to all the medalists!! :clap:

Kudos to Machida and Rippon for having strong will and determination!!
I enjoyed Brown's LP very much.

I felt a little bit sad for low score of Kozuka. Takahashi was much better than he did in JO imo.
I believe he will come back strong in NHK and JN.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I don't get Jason. I don't enjoy his skating at all. Some of his jump technique is really weird especially 3A. I don't really care for his style. Just too feminine for my liking. I used to feel the same way about Adam but he is a much pleasant skater now.

I understand how some of his movements can be perceived that way, but one can't deny that his skating skills are superb and he tries interesting choreography/jump entrances/spin positions, etc.

Fozzie Bear

On the Ice
Okay, now I'm more nervous for Takahashi. He will probably need to win or place at least second at NHK to make the GPF. And the competition's even stiffer there. :(

lavender

Record Breaker
Wow Adam. He's improved big time. He digs into the ice and glides on those edges now. Now he skates much faster and more secure.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Wow. I'd been led to believe that Artur's FS was absolutely awful in spite of the jumps. But now I've seen the video, and really, that wasn't THAT bad. I even think he might have been undermarked. The jumps were (mostly) there, that first 3A was huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge and he really attacked the quad with confidence. I wonder, though, as regards a few comments of him losing interest/performance quality towards the end - it looked to me like he may have hurt his back again on the messy landing on the 3Lo. It looked jarring and his body language as he got up and away from it was not good.

Jason was MAGIC! If he can generate that much noise and excitement at a not-full house at Skate America with mistakes, I can only imagine if he does it clean in front of a full house. He was definitely way too tight. The last time I saw him breathing like that, indicating that he was way too nervous, was at the JGP Courchevel last year, in the SP, and he was awful (for him) there. But this is only the first time as a Senior, so he has time to get those under control. He was off the music and you could see him rushing and bobbling through the steps, and the choreo sequence especially. He wasn't taking his usual lines into things, everything looked slightly panicked.

But that moment before the steps start, when the music is building, the crowd is already up and cheering for him, and there's a grin on his face that says, All right, you want a show? I'll give you a show! He plays so well to the crowd. Hard to believe he's only 18 and a half.

Anyway, I think a few of the other skaters entered to TEB might just be feeling a bit less complacent than they might have been having seen his assignment initially...

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Dai probably won't make it to the GPF, right?

I think the general rule of thumb is, no medal, no GPF.

My immediate thought after watching Max's long program: Everyone stop complaining about Jason's hair. And go wield the scissors at Max!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Unless he wins NHk with a HUGE score (and there's Fernandez there), probably no :cry:

As I hope you know, the rankings that determine who qualifies for the GPF are based on PLACEMENTS, not scores.

The score itself would not come into play unless as a tiebreaker. Given that Takahashi placed fourth, that possibility seems unlikely, IMHO.

That said, I am a strong believer in: "Never say never."

(Note: Skate America medalists Max Aaron and Adam Rippon, as well as Fernandez, will compete at NHK -- so Takahashi will have his work cut out for him just to get on the podium.)

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
Unless he wins NHk with a HUGE score (and there's Fernandez there), probably no :cry:

It's possible depending on how the points add up for the other top men. In the 2009-2010 season, Johnny Weir managed to make finals with a 4th place and a silver medal. It was a season where half the finalists, including Daisuke, were off podium one event but rallied to medal at the other event.