2013 Skate America Men Free Skating | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2013 Skate America Men Free Skating

FSGMT

Record Breaker
As I hope you know, the rankings that determine who qualifies for the GPF are based on PLACEMENTS, not scores.

The score itself would not come into play unless as a tiebreaker. Given that Takahashi placed fourth, that possibility seems unlikely, IMHO.

That said, I am a strong believer in: "Never say never."

(Note: Skate America medalists Max Aaron and Adam Rippon, as well as Fernandez, will compete at NHK -- so Takahashi will have his work cut out for him just to get on the podium.)
I was obviously referring to the tie-breakers!! ;) For example, if he wins silver at NHK and Rippon places fourth there, the points will be important (just an example, not a prediction)...

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S FREE SKATE - RESULT & VIDEOS

1. Tatsuki MACHIDA (JPN) - 265.38 Free Skate
2. Adam RIPPON (USA) - 241.24
3. Max AARON (USA) - 238.36
4. Daisuke TAKAHASHI (JPN) - 236.21 Free Skate
5. Jason BROWN (USA) - 231.03
6. Takahiko KOZUKA (JPN) - 230.95 Free Skate
7. Alexander MAJOROV (SWE) - 208.72
8. Artur GACHINSKI (RUS) - 208.16

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I was obviously referring to the tie-breakers!! ;) For example, if he wins silver at NHK and Rippon places fourth there, the points will be important (just an example, not a prediction)...

All good, FSGMT. :) Apologies that it was not obvious to me that you were referring to tiebreakers. (To me, your original emphasis on a Takahashi win + huge score over Fernandez is a far different hypothetical example from Takahashi and Rippon switching placements at NHK.)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Some comments it is exciting yet kind of sad in some ways that it appears men's skating is going t be so close and really up to the skater who skates on the day. I have to say it is apparent Dai and Chan imho are far above the field in pcs or should be. Then you have have Hanyu and a bit of a break to machida, Kozuka, Fernandez, Ten et al and a brek to say Reynolds and Aaron. machida, rippon and aaron,our medalists have not yet shown that they are able to skate and meda l consistently so we will see - maybe Rippon is having a break through year or it could be a fluke - we will see that quad lutz is key- Though it doesn't matter for medals I dohate to think the main reason one is competitive is due to one or two tricks. Rippon is good but sadly the 4 lutz even attempt is a huge reason he is in contention. Look at how "badly" dai skated and he is still up there - the all around skater is rare. I like Adam, I do think he should stop playing aroundhis hair lol but I am not convinced he is the type of medallist I would like to see at oly. But he is not bad certainly artistically.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Dai going to Morozov was a huge mistake
he wont even make the GPF ? he has to watch now Hanyu, Oda, Machida, maybe Kozuka, Mura and Murakami too

Gachinski is a joke
his so called comeback if this it ? is below mediocre at best

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think that Takahashi is taking things slowly this season and his peaking will be at the Nationals and Olympics. I liked his freeskate and it will get better and better as the season goes forward.

Aaron´s programme was concentrating on jumping and footwork, transitions very few. Machida was great and I liked his costume. It was great that Rippon has become stronger, I did not expect it.

Our broadcast commentator in this event has been Susanna Poykio and I really enjoyed her way to comment and her thoughts. She was really good!!! Hopefully she will continue during the whole GP.

Icey

Record Breaker
I think the general rule of thumb is, no medal, no GPF.

My immediate thought after watching Max's long program: Everyone stop complaining about Jason's hair. And go wield the scissors at Max!

No rule that we can't complain about both.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
It's possible depending on how the points add up for the other top men. In the 2009-2010 season, Johnny Weir managed to make finals with a 4th place and a silver medal. It was a season where half the finalists, including Daisuke, were off podium one event but rallied to medal at the other event.

Forgot to thank Srin earlier. :bow: I did not know about Weir's situation. Good example re: "Never say never." :)

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S FREE SKATE - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Tatsuki MACHIDA (JPN) - 265.38 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
2. Adam RIPPON (USA) - 241.24 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
3. Max AARON (USA) - 238.36 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
4. Daisuke TAKAHASHI (JPN) - 236.21 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
5. Jason BROWN (USA) - 231.03 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
6. Takahiko KOZUKA (JPN) - 230.95 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
7. Alexander MAJOROV (SWE) - 208.72 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
8. Artur GACHINSKI (RUS) - 208.16 Free Skate, 2nd Copy

They're showing it on TV now, and Rippon looked good despite his fall in the quad. He has a lovely way of moving that is both graceful and solid.