2013 Skate America Men Free Skating | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2013 Skate America Men Free Skating

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mura's already competed this season at Ondrej Nepela and lost to Tomas Verner. He seems to be in the same boat as Dai and Kozuka so far in the season.

Tomas Verner skated so well at that event though; the best he's been since winning the European Championships in 2008. His stamina and jump consistency has improved tenfold. Speaking of Verner, I hope the positive momentum continues for him. He is such a terrific skater! GO TOMAS! :love:

ghislaine

Rinkside
The overscoring on Max's protocol is making me angry - which is very unfair to him. Neutral GOE on that 4-2? Full credit on all of his quads? Positive GOE on his slow step sequences? Ugh.

jan

On the Ice
I am not a fan of Jason Brown's program. I also did not the costume. He is not in the same league as the top skaters in the world. Besides not having the technical elements, he is too slow. I like some of the positions he hits but I find he is too deliberate.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Fortunately for Jason, he's landed more 3A's in competition that Shawn ever has. And he got PBs for the short program and overall total at this competition, so it can't be all that bad.
Agreed. and his triple axel is usually a beauty with a high GOE- as he did it in the short program.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Agree. And let's not forget that less than 3 weeks ago, he didn't even know that he was going to Skate America.

Yep I agree too.

And his PCS is not too shabby. Almost 80 -- he got 8s in three PCS categories high 7s in transitions and skating skills. He's definitely made a positive impression with the judges.

And I guess I should be thankful because I had predicted Jason to finish 5th and he....finished 5th. And I had predicted Max to be second and he was third. However I predicted Daisuke to win. :cry:

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
I didn't know RA coached Adam now. How great that two besties get to train with him (Ashley and Adam)

I agree- both Ashley and Adam are looking great under Arutunian!

I'm a BIG Daisuke fan and I'm aware I'm being a sour grape, but Machida just doesn't do it for me. His PCS higher than Rippon?? Transition?? I don't think so.

rosacotton

Final Flight
And yet again men's figure skating proves to be very difficult to predict! Overall good competition. Congratulations to the medalists! And honorable mention to Jason Brown, whose Riverdance program I think will become one of my favorite men's programs of the season.

Japanese Nationals and US Nationals are going to be heartbreaking.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Jason wasn't nervous beyond the nervousness they all feel until they start to skate imo
I disagree. I've watched him in numerous competitions and never seen him visibly breathing to calm his nerves after his music started. Also, did you notice he continued to talk to his coach and hug her even after he'd been introduced? Very atypical in general and for him. I agree with everyone who says that the nerves finally caught up with him- understandable nerves given 1) he only found out he was going to this high-profile senior comp 3 weeks ago, 2) he is up against former Olympic medalists and World Champions for the first time and 3) he was in a position to win in his first major competition. Good to get this out of his system early in any case.

Icey

Record Breaker
Someone critiqued Machida's hair. Jason is the one who needs a makeover in that department. Looks spinsterish and like that character Ruth Bussey used to play.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I agree- both Ashley and Adam are looking great under Arutunian!

I'm a BIG Daisuke fan and I'm aware I'm being a sour grape, but Machida just doesn't do it for me. His PCS higher than Rippon?? Transition?? I don't think so.
Rippon's PCS and transition far superior to Machida. I agree with you.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
And yet again men's figure skating proves to be very difficult to predict! Overall good competition. Congratulations to the medalists! And honorable mention to Jason Brown, whose Riverdance program I think will become one of my favorite men's programs of the season.

Japanese Nationals and US Nationals are going to be heartbreaking.
I can't believe US only has two spots. Who do you want to go to Olympics? I love Jeremy, Adam, and Jason about equally, and I like Max a lot too! Ross Miner not on their level imo.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can't believe US only has two spots. Who do you want to go to Olympics? I love Jeremy, Adam, and Jason about equally, and I like Max a lot too! Ross Miner not on their level imo.

If Ross Miner were to make the Olympic team, I would literally find a brick wall and do this. :bang:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I so wish Jeremy Abbott, Adam Rippon, Joshua Farris, Jason Brown, and Alexander Johnson could all make the Olympic team for the US. It's so unfair to only have 2 spots. :cry:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think Ross is great and has a good shot as anyone. I get his style isn't for everyone, but he definitely has some great skating skills and can hit the programs when it counts.

Oreo

On the Ice
If Ross Miner were to make the Olympic team, I will literally find a brick wall and do this. :bang:

I want Adam to skate that program with the skate of his life in the Olympics. The second spot will have to be either Jeremy, Jason, or Josh (haven't seen him skate this year though). Max has to up the artistry to interest me.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I am not a fan of Jason Brown's program. ... Besides not having the technical elements, he is too slow. I like some of the positions he hits but I find he is too deliberate.

Clearly I'm not seeing what many are seeing with Jason's skating; I don't know if it's the speed or what, but I find that it's a lot of posturing and not a lot of content, or something. Anyway, I certainly don't begrudge him the excitement he seems to be generating, but I don't get it. Similarly, I never really enjoyed Jeremy Abbott, either, even at his peak.

But ADAM, now -- wow! Loved his performances at this event and hope he builds on them into a landmark season for him. I hope that Adam and Josh Farris are on the U.S. team for Sochi! (Dream and hope, not necessarily prediction, as it's too early for that.)

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Ross is great and has a good shot as anyone. I get his style isn't for everyone, but he definitely has some great skating skills and can hit the programs when it counts.

:confused: Uh, like when he finished 14th at Worlds last season.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Great win for Machida!! That puts him 5th on the PB total list ahead of Hanyu. I know people are getting hung up about his PCS but I think his programs were well performed. There have been programs by skaters in the past that have received even higher PCS even with less transitions and mistakes.

starryxskies

On the Ice
this is men skating....every quad you land, your PCS points go up by 1-2 point. 83 seem reasonable for what his produce, when u compare other big guns are gettin g over 90+ in PCS.

Actually, the only big gun that consistently gets 90+ PCS is Patrick Chan. Javier, Hanyu... both are sitting comfortably in the mid to high 80s range when they deliver.

The fact that you can say that indicates there's a problem with PCS judging. I still see no case for direct correlation between high TES and an automatic PCS increase.