2013 Skate America Men Free Skating | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2013 Skate America Men Free Skating

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
:confused: Uh, like when he finished 14th at Worlds last season.

! That's when I lost hope/confidence in him. He is not a "special" skater, but has typically been a consistent, solid skater, and that's why US chose to send him to Worlds- they thought he had less of a chance of imploding than others. Well, he imploded. Since then, his one big strength is gone. I do think he's a nice, solid skater but he isn't the present and he isn't the future.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Someone critiqued Machida's hair. Jason is the one who needs a makeover in that department.

Both Brown and Machida make me feel very awkward. They're athletes and not models I get that. However when you're in a sport like figure skating, especially when you might be potentially representing your country at the Olympics, having an awareness/sense of beauty and presentation I think is so important. I sound shallow I know.

Rippon's PCS and transition far superior to Machida. I agree with you.

Rippon's program was just so wonderful!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
:confused: Uh, like when he finished 14th at Worlds last season.

Oh geez. Okay, he doesn't do it every time. I guess I mostly meant his nationals performances. He has yet to do badly at nationals. Of course there's a first time for everything.

Point is I wouldn't count him out.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I want Adam to skate that program with the skate of his life in the Olympics. The second spot will have to be either Jeremy, Jason, or Josh (haven't seen him skate this year though). Max has to up the artistry to interest me.
Me too! LOVE Adam's skating and love Adam ever since watching his interview with the Skating Lesson. Tai Babilonia is a big fan of his too, and I trust her judgment. I don't know Josh's skating well but have heard he can be great and probably has the most potential for the future. I'm with you on Max, although I do think he seems like a sweet guy, and he is the only one capable of delivering quads consistently (or was, until this season, that is!)

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Clearly I'm not seeing what many are seeing with Jason's skating; I don't know if it's the speed or what, but I find that it's a lot of posturing and not a lot of content, or something. Anyway, I certainly don't begrudge him the excitement he seems to be generating, but I don't get it. Similarly, I never really enjoyed Jeremy Abbott, either, even at his peak.

But ADAM, now -- wow! Loved his performances at this event and hope he builds on them into a landmark season for him. I hope that Adam and Josh Farris are on the U.S. team for Sochi! (Dream and hope, not necessarily prediction, as it's too early for that.)

You don't love one of my favorites (Jason) but you love my other big favorite (Adam)! Adam is beautiful, elegant, classic, balletic, graceful, and has a quiet star quality. and let's be honest, here, he's also beautiful physically- my stepdaughter was almost passing out she thought he was "so gorgeous!"

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
lol, wordsworthgirl, Adam is certainly attractive. And it's great that skating can have so many different types of skaters and programs and styles, so we can all find skates/skaters we enjoy.

Sara

On the Ice
I agree- both Ashley and Adam are looking great under Arutunian!

I'm a BIG Daisuke fan and I'm aware I'm being a sour grape, but Machida just doesn't do it for me. His PCS higher than Rippon?? Transition?? I don't think so.

I would have wanted to see Kiira competing in GP this season. She as well changed to train under Rafael, it would have been interesting to see her skating. I am really happy for both Adam and Ashley, I think both have improved a lot but especially Adam!!! :love: I just love his programmes, skating and the new artistic side of him!! It is great that he and Ashley can train together. They seem to be best friends with each other. I read somewhere them saying that it is very important for them to have each other during this Olympic year, to support one another and to train together. So sweet!!!!!!! :) For those wondering, no they are not dating.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I would have wanted to see Kiira competing in GP this season. She as well changed to train under Rafael, it would have been interesting to see her skating. I am really happy for both Adam and Ashley, I think both have improved a lot but especially Adam!!! :love: I just love his programmes, skating and the new artistic side of him!! It is great that he and Ashley can train together. They seem to be best friends with each other. I read somewhere them saying that it is very important for them to have each other during this Olympic year, to support one another and to train together. So sweet!!!!!!! :) For those wondering, no they are not dating.

They are adorable with and about each other- I agree. Best best friends and mutual support system. Wonderful! I hope they go to Olympics- I think they will help each other's confidence and having the other there will help enrich the experience for each of them.

Takahashi should seriously consider retirement now, that error-filled FS is just not going to make it.

DT's Score : 72.40 + 86.72 = 159.12

Extremely generous scores considering he had 7 errors in his program. :sarcasm:

Kozuka hasn't grown in his presentation department and his jumps appear stiff. At this rate, he will likely not make it to the Olympic Games either.

Kozuka : 153.20

Can't say I disagree with these marks even though he had only one visible error.

SS aside, every other component leaves quite a bit of room for improvement but he has not shown much progress there.

Machida : Very powerful jumps but the program is very basic, as is the overall presentation from hair cut, to costuming to his presence.

You're in fine fettle tonight, Wally.

Go Patrick! ;)

Sara

On the Ice
They are adorable with and about each other- I agree. Best best friends and mutual support system. Wonderful! I hope they go to Olympics- I think they will help each other's confidence and having the other there will help enrich the experience for each of them.

:thumbsup:

I saw an adorable pic of Ashley backstage almost in tears hugging and congratulating Adam after his SP. I really hope they both make it to the Olympic team!!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It would be great for Adam to make the Olympic team. He's kind of like the almost-guy that Ashley was for the Ladies. Finishing 4th in 2010 Nationals and having mixed results since then. Funny how // Ashley and Adam's lives are.

This is a great start for Adam and hope he will build from there.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Sad about Jason, but it's his first senior GP and he needed to nail everything to have a shot at a top placement. You could tell he was nervous with all of his heavy breaths even before the warm-up started and his off-timing throughout the piece. Maybe it's because of the smaller rink and the change in the placement of the second double axel, because his performance at Nebelhorn shows where the elements as they were supposed to be timed. I hope he has better luck at Trophee Eric Bompard.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
I'm not surprised that Kozuka and Takahashi had trouble with their outings at the Japan Open. But I'm surprised that both Aaron and Rippon performed well enough to trump Takahashi and Kozuka. Good on Aaron for going for three quads and two triple axels... crazy...

dardar1126

On the Ice
So proud of Max! :) He's a FIGHTER! Love his determination & toughness. Even being a little off his game, he never gave up, never gave in! :agree:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Sad about Jason, but it's his first senior GP and he needed to nail everything to have a shot at a top placement. You could tell he was nervous with all of his heavy breaths even before the warm-up started and his off-timing throughout the piece. Maybe it's because of the smaller rink and the change in the placement of the second double axel, because his performance at Nebelhorn shows where the elements as they were supposed to be timed. I hope he has better luck at Trophee Eric Bompard.

Well at least he has that first GP out of the way. TEB is not for another month, so he has plenty of time to recover and tweak whatever needs to be done.