2013 Skate America Free Dance | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2013 Skate America Free Dance

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
about warhorse music pieces, even the most overused one could receive a new life and colour with some fresh arrangement (e.g. for orchestra or violin quartet) or original cuts/interpretation - and I love that when ice dancers do that :)

I like your idea of a different instrumental arrangement, like that lovely Turandot program that Shen/Zhao used in 2003. I also wish that more skaters would use actual chamber music. Remember Michelle Kwan's stunning Song of the Black Swan program using Dvorak's Dumky Trio? I'd love to see someone use cuts from Dvorak's American Quartet (opus 96).

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
omg if someone would use pieces from Dvorak's American Quartet...it would be amazing, Dvorak's music in general is for me simply delightful, with lots of emotions and I don't know why it is so rarely use in figure skating programs...I'd also see more Sibelius or some not overused pieces from Grieg

Ooh, yes, Sibelius! He has such a sense of rhythm and of forward drive. Do you know his Spring Song, or his Third Symphony? There would have to be really clever cuts, but I'd love to see his music used.

And I completely agree about Dvorak, both his symphonies and his chamber music. His music has such buoyancy and richness.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I would not describe Charlie White's skating as being crisp...At times he has issues with his lines...if I was comparing them to V/M. I find Charlie presents himself better then he presents his partner. Davis is very precise with excellent lines. That's why I find sometimes that they are not skating as one as with V/M.

I thought pairs skaters were the ones that had to skate as one, not ice dancers? ;) Dance sometimes allows for one partner to feature the other - and not always the woman... not that I'm an expert, but neither team is perfect. They both have points in their styles that are better than the other team. That's apparently why they are so polarizing.

Mao88

Record Breaker
FREE DANCE - RESULT & VIDEOS (Updated)

1. Meryl DAVIS / Charlie WHITE (USA) - 188.23 Free Dance, 2nd Copy
2. Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE (ITA) - 168.49 Free Dance, 2nd Copy
3. Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI (USA) - 154.47 Free Dance, 2nd Copy
4. Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE (USA) - 152.98 Free Dance
5. Cathy REED / Chris REED (JPN) - 136.13 Free Dance
6. Pernelle CARRON / Lloyd JONES (FRA) - 135.70 Free Dance
7. Isabella TOBIAS / Deividas STAGNIUNAS (LTU) - 134.67 Free Dance
8. Julia ZLOBINA / Alexei SITNIKOV (AZE) - 133.76 Free Dance

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
bland ? :rolleye: doesn't that fit perfectly to V/M ? with the same repetitive themes and the love connection that I never really see ?
D/W get huge scores from technicality and rest goes with it, V/M hit their peak in 2010 and have been going downhill with their technical abilities limping.

Bland kind of like your comments they are predictable - sorry not trying to make it personal. But though good it is always kind of the same.

That first lift that Davis/White do, where he swings her and somehow keeps her balanced, and then she's aloft, is astonishing.

KMK0902

On the Ice
Is it my imagination or is Meryl thinner than last season?

I agree!

I was so bothered by her physique that I couldn't enjoy their programs. There's nothing left of her. My husband passed by the tv and said "that girl's head is to large for her body...." I found it scary to see; I hope she will last through the season without collapsing.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
I agree!

I was so bothered by her physique that I couldn't enjoy their programs. There's nothing left of her. My husband passed by the tv and said "that girl's head is to large for her body...." I found it scary to see; I hope she will last through the season without collapsing.

Meryl has always had a large head. It was more noticeable when she and Charlie were little/young. Having seen her in person in Salt Lake, I think she may be more competition fit than before, but she doesn't look unhealthy.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I wonder what is going through the Shibutani's heads? Are th ey panicking forget abotu a podium finish now the i ssue seems to be can they hold on for the thrid spot on the American team - that must be discouraging to se everyoen catching up and or passing. Things are looking great for C and L - OBM seems to be theirs maybe silver if what some are sayng is true about V and M. Hubbell and Donahoe must be very encouraged as much as the SHibutani's are discouraged

^Well, the Shibs finished ahead of a great performance by Hubbell and Donohue, even with a fall. So they still have the inside track for making it to Sochi, along with Chock and Bates.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
^Well, the Shibs finished ahead of a great performance by Hubbell and Donohue, even with a fall. So they still have the inside track for making it to Sochi, along with Chock and Bates.

To Alex's credit, he skated like a speed skater to get back to the dance quickly, LOL. :laugh:

It should be noted that despite the fall -- which came before any required elements -- the Shibs beat H/D on TES. Basically they got the levels, beating everyone in base value, even D/W and C/L. H/D actually beat them on PCS, which makes sense.

I don't think it's cut and dry MM. Hubbell and Donohue are as close as they've ever been and you can bet they'll be working to get that gap narrowed come Nationals. (And I'm excited I get to see this all unfold in person!)

Whitneyskates

On the Ice
Is it my imagination or is Meryl thinner than last season?
She looks more fit. If you look at pictures of her as a kid, you will see she was always tiny. She's thin, but I don't think she's thin in an unhealthy way. The girl is ripped.

As for H/D vs. C/B vs. the Shibs; I think C/B really need to work on their FD. IMO, it isn't as strong as H/D or the Shibs.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I don't know why a lot of people are basically giving Cappellini and Lanotte the bronze medal or even silver at the Olympics already. We've barely seen Bobrova and Soloviev or Pechalat and Bourzat yet this season. C&L's SD is great but their FD is a bit boring, IMO.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
I don't know why a lot of people are basically giving Cappellini and Lanotte the bronze medal or even silver at the Olympics already. We've barely seen Bobrova and Soloviev or Pechalat and Bourzat yet this season. C&L's SD is great but their FD is a bit boring, IMO.

So far C/L is the one team I have saw this season capable of delivering a moment like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27cZ4wx8470

If they improve their freedance lookout!

DaveT

On the Ice

The podium will be 1. V/M 2. D/W 3. a Russian team. The rest will have to fight it out for the places below those determined before the competition.

gmyers

Record Breaker
The podium will be 1. V/M 2. D/W 3. a Russian team. The rest will have to fight it out for the places below those determined before the competition.

Have you seen the Russian teams so far? Far far away from podium. VM/DW or DW/VM but 3rd totally up in the air!