Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Thread: 2013 Skate America Free Dance

Custom Title
    Is it my imagination or is Meryl thinner than last season?
    She looks more fit. If you look at pictures of her as a kid, you will see she was always tiny. She's thin, but I don't think she's thin in an unhealthy way. The girl is ripped.

As for H/D vs. C/B vs. the Shibs; I think C/B really need to work on their FD. IMO, it isn't as strong as H/D or the Shibs.

I don't know why a lot of people are basically giving Cappellini and Lanotte the bronze medal or even silver at the Olympics already. We've barely seen Bobrova and Soloviev or Pechalat and Bourzat yet this season. C&L's SD is great but their FD is a bit boring, IMO.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I don't know why a lot of people are basically giving Cappellini and Lanotte the bronze medal or even silver at the Olympics already. We've barely seen Bobrova and Soloviev or Pechalat and Bourzat yet this season. C&L's SD is great but their FD is a bit boring, IMO.
    So far C/L is the one team I have saw this season capable of delivering a moment like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27cZ4wx8470

If they improve their freedance lookout!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    The podium will be 1. V/M 2. D/W 3. a Russian team. The rest will have to fight it out for the places below those determined before the competition.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
    The podium will be 1. V/M 2. D/W 3. a Russian team. The rest will have to fight it out for the places below those determined before the competition.
    Have you seen the Russian teams so far? Far far away from podium. VM/DW or DW/VM but 3rd totally up in the air!

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    CBC broadcast of D&W's free dance. Commentary by Kurt Browning & Dance Coach Carol Lane
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4k52_QtWx4

It's always interesting to hear what the Americans say about Tessa & Scott and what the Canadians say about Meryl & Charlie.

Custom Title
    Interesting, thank you doris!!

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    CBC broadcast of D&W's free dance. Commentary by Kurt Browning & Dance Coach Carol Lane

It's always interesting to hear what the Americans say about Tessa & Scott and what the Canadians say about Meryl & Charlie.

^ Virtue and Moir have their work cut out for them. I can't wait for Skate Canada.

Medalist
    I'm surprised at how strong D/W look right off the top of the season. I think both programs are very good--I'm surprised because I expected to really love the My Fair Lady SD and only feel so-so about Scheherazade. Now that I've seen both programs, it's actually the opposite. I agree with whoever said their My Fair Lady cut is very shrill--I wish they had gone with a more pop version, not so operatic. The version they chose sounds a bit stiff and swallowed and it just doesn't give me the lightheartedness and giddy-ness I usually feel whenever I hear "I Could Have Danced All Night." Scheherazade is not my favorite piece of music (even when my queen Michelle Kwan skated to it herself) so I was sort of bummed they picked that for Olympic year. However, I think it's a dazzling program (though I don't see much of the Scheherazade story-line in it). I just think it's marvelous ice dance and that first lift is a STUNNER!

The Shibs also look pretty good--I guess I haven't checked up on them in a while because suddenly Maia looks a lot more mature and elegant than I remembered. I absolutely LOVE their SD. The music is lively and energetic like they are and it suits the dance perfectly. That's always such a make or break--when teams have the ill-fitting music for the compulsory step. The Shibs have the best SD music this season as far as I'm concerned. As for the free, I was a little horrified hearing Michael Jackson... I think they're a bit left field with the free dance and I don't think it's gonna bode well for them as medal contenders. It felt like a bad dream to me... I can't even take it seriously. I don't want to see Thriller in exhibition much less competition. I also think their lifts need major work. Not a single one wowed me or even occurred to me as a lovely position amongst the many they hit. I don't know... is it too late to scratch the free dance and start all over?

I was thrilled with Cappellini and Lanotte--I think they have two solid programs. I want them to sneak in for bronze in general--I just think they've been terribly underrated for this entire quad. They always turn in fabulous skating but for whatever reason, don't seem to find the podium when it's a full field.

It will be quite something if C&L, V&M & D&W all medal in Sochi.

1. All train in Detroit
    2. All have been coached by Igor Shpilband at one time or another
    3. All are part of the graduating from seniors to juniors class of 2006-2007.

They were 1st, 3rd & 4th at the 2006 Jr. Worlds. It makes you wonder whether the Russians gave up too quickly on the team that was in 2nd place at that event:
    Natalia Mikhailova / Arkadi Sergeev
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Wo...ps#Ice_dancing

Custom Title
    The first think I noticed about C&L here is their increased speed. It's all due to Igor. It's always been a priority with his teams. Europeans will be very interesting to see if C&L can win this title. I like the Shibs SD. They have such neat footwork but their Finnstep needs a lot more practice. The middle section music for the MJ FD just doesn't seem to work within the context of the program.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post

Could you post (or post links to) more of the programs with CBC/Kurt Browning commentary Doris (if you have them)?
    Thank you!

I will if I can find them! I'm interested to hear what else Carol Lane has to say.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14