Project Runway All Stars - October 24, 2013 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Project Runway All Stars - October 24, 2013

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tonight is the finale, I hope Korto has a chance of winning. I really like her designs. Your thoughts.

heyang

Record Breaker
Just finished watching.

I could see the 'every day' woman wanting Korto's collection and I also enjoyed Seth Aaron's collection. Won't say anything else yet, in case some haven't seen the show yet.

I did notice the ad's for Under the Gunn that starts next week. Seems like it's similar to NBC's The Fashion Show where mentors assist the competitors.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Hey guys.

I had to get the skating watched first (hey--I have my priorities!). I thought it was a good finale, better than the first two seasons. I am shocked that Seth Aaron actually won, not because I don't think he was the most talented (I do), but because his clothes are much more cutting edge than the usual stuff I've seen on QVC. What I think will be interesting is to see if he can modify his design sensibility for the mass market audience that QVC attracts (my sister is a total QVC junkie and her taste tends to be much more 'pretty clothes' than 'cutting edge,' know what I mean?). Korto's designs are a more natural fit for that particular market (that first dress was wonderful, as well as the pants suit), but I had to agree with the judges: the outfits weren't always balanced or finished well. Of course it's utterly idiotic to expect a runway-ready collection of 7 looks in 4 days, so what do you expect? Elena threw out the same silhouettes AGAIN. I actually think she's talented and her sci-fi sensibility is certainly an interesting look, but girlfriend, time to move on to something new. One note, however superbly played, is one note.

Looking forward to hearing your takes...

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Weakankles, I've been waiting for you!!! I do have questions but am watching Nationals, yes I have priorities too. Will post later. Where is Olympia????

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Olympia has been her usual wise and calm and sensible self on the Nationals board (at least from the last posts of hers I've read). And considering how delicious a soap opera Nationals is turning out to be, a little bit of wise and calm and sensible is definitely needed! Who needs General Hospital when you have Which Pair Is Going To Have Their Hopes And Dreams Dashed and The Diva Wagner Story to watch? I can only imagine the outrage that is going to start hitting the boards come tomorrow night.

One thing I did want to add about Seth Aaron... don't you think it's time he modified his own personal style? That look he loves--post-punk, The Cure In Suburbia--works when you are in your 20s, but after a certain point it starts to look more uhm desperate than desirable. If he seriously wants to grow a business, I think cleaning up his own act would be a good place to start...

Looking forward to your post Dee. And heyang and Olympia and anyone else who cares to chime in. The more the merrier!

i kept sleeping through Project Runway! Thank goodness I stayed awake for Nationals. (Now I understand the fuss about Samantha Cesario.) I have to find the PR episode, or at least pictures of the collections, online.

(May I also say that even the beautiful Georgina Chapman cannot compete with Marina Klimova, who is still lovely and who can now choreograph with the best of them. Her programs for Polina Edmunds--sublime.)

[about an hour later...]

Aha! I finally found the episode. What fun to watch. I see why they gave the victory to Seth Aaron, though there were a few of his styles I didn't like. He has the best-structured garments, notably that red coatdress and the scarf dress. (I do covet that coatdress.) Korto always has something that is graceful and easy to wear, and Elena's clothing concept, with the openwork and topstitching, is tremendously appealing to me though I admit the collection didn't vary much from piece to piece. Since I like Elena's basic design theme, I didn't mind that so much. One detail no one pointed out in her collection was the gloves that every model wore, in colors keyed to the collection. I really enjoyed them--some gray, some yellow, some blue.

I'm not sure I liked the idea of actually holding the show at the U.N. Somehow the moment of Alyssa Milano facing those U.N. delegates (who are dealing with monumental problems in their respective countries and in the world as a whole), and chirping about how great the collections are, and how much money a single designer would get for appearing on the show, seemed just this side of insultingly trivial. Maybe I've just been watching the news too much. I hope the producers made some sort of contribution to UNICEF and the WHO, two U.N. agencies whose hands are full right now. For example, I think it's the World Health Organization that has to deal with the heartbreaking resurgence of polio among children in Syria during this current war.

I did like the actual opportunity of presenting the U.N. to viewers, and I wish the show had featured a bit more input from the delegates. I would have loved for the Liberian delegate to mention the current president of Liberia, Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, who's a reformer and the first woman to head Liberia's government (she may also be the first woman head of state in sub-Saharan Africa), and a winner of the Nobel Peace Prize. I think that to mention her in context with Korto, a woman of accomplishment from a country where women didn't generally have much of a chance to rise, would have been entirely apt.

It made me smile to think about how the producers figured out the heritage aspect of the episode. Elena and Korto are obvious, but a guy named Henderson doing designs from Spain was interesting. I was imagining what they'd ask me to do. The countries my ancestors spent time in didn't want us, and many of these places aren't even part of the original countries any longer. I like to call my grandparents' home town Six Flags, because it was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, and considered part of Poland, but it later ended up the property of the Soviet Union and ultimately of the Ukraine, except the town probably doesn't exist any longer and I'm sure no one from my family survived the century there. Would they have made me use Israel? (Well, two thousand years ago, I guess my folks did come from there, but the link is kind of tenuous now.)

I really like Korto as a personality. She is practical, witty, and able to rise above frustration. These are good traits for someone running a business to have. Elena I worry about. Seth Aaron seems pretty resilient also, but there's an originality to Korto's perspective that I find enjoyable to listen to. She's just one of those people one would enjoy getting to know, I think. by the way, I loved Victor's mother's motto: Don't drown in a cup of water. I will try to remember that the next time I think that some small roadblock means all is lost and life is impossible. I may need it on Monday or Tuesday, in fact.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Olympia, I'm glad you got to watch the show. I liked some of Seth Aaron's designs but what distracted me was the big glasses the models wore. For me, it took away from the designs. The one design I truly liked was the scarf design.

Matter of fact, I liked most of all the designers designs.

I don't understand the critique from the judges on Korto's designs. It seems like Korto's designs would fit more into QVC than the rest. I think the judges critiqued Korto for the collection not being cohesive, what do you think?? The only thing I didn't like was the shorter peplum which kind of poked out.

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway-all-stars/season-3/rate-the-runway/episode-10#id=9

After looking at the photos for each design, Elena made the same outfit for all 7 pieces.

I think in terms of construction abilities, Korto seems weaker than Seth Aaron, but I do agree that her designs generally looked more QVC-friendly than Seth Aaron's. I agree that Elena's outfits were very similar, but I did like them, and I enjoyed her color palette more than everyone else's. Not that I thought she should have won, but I enjoy that particular type of outfit.

heyang

Record Breaker
I found Korto's to be more wearable and Seth Aaron's to be a more striking runway show.

My favorite of Korto's was the one where the bottom was actually pants, but it looked like a skirt.

My favorite of Seth Aaron's was also the scarf look.

Elena was quite the drama queen. I don't think I could've been around her day after day with all the histrionics.