Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 114

Thread: 2013-2014 Skate America - Ladies Championshps

  1. #16
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnamon View Post
    Reasonable. I say, it is painful, but you feel less in competitions, for you are focused on something else. Machida didn't fall, right?
    Yes, he stayed on his feet the whole time.

  2. #17
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    Yes, they liked Ashley best because she didn't fall and her jumps looked steady and secure. They never mentioned artistry, except saying that they noticed the skaters somethings intersperse the program with pretty movements, probably to catch their breath after a jump.

    They HATED the men (except for the Japanese man who won) because people were falling left and right. They didn't really care that the falls were on a quad attempt. It was very, very disruptive for them. They really had no desire to look at a program after 2 falls, saying that it looked too painful and dangerous.
    But actually, you haven't answered Mathman's original question--he asked if your friends liked Ashley's program enough that they wanted to watch more skating in the future? I'm interested in the answer as well, since I too, watched some of the programs with non-skating fans. Unfortunately, none of the programs was enticing enough for them to continue watching figure skating, unless they are forced to do so, by me.

  3. #18
    Custom Title skateluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,578
    Ok Im mad. really mad. Iw as home all day and I read NBC was showing ladies at 8 pm!!!!.. Can someone post a link to the FS TV in USA? I can see online of course but it sux next to larger TV I tuned in to find Football. I hate football!!!!! Please-will it be replayed? It is a pain to search through Youtube. I will look for a final comp thread list of videos. Please...I always put a TV alert in the edge and everyone do the same ...I missed it, rats!!!!!. I love Mao and Ash is getting better. I am starting to like the LP (sans the facial expressions). I really think Ashley will def be in top 5 at Sochi. She can medal if someone blows it, and Caro always does at Olympics.

  4. #19
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,654
    Where'd you read 8pm?! That's smack dab into NBC's Sunday Night Football (every week all skating season long... well... until Feb anyway).

  5. #20
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    756
    Quote Originally Posted by chloepoco View Post
    But actually, you haven't answered Mathman's original question--he asked if your friends liked Ashley's program enough that they wanted to watch more skating in the future? I'm interested in the answer as well, since I too, watched some of the programs with non-skating fans. Unfortunately, none of the programs was enticing enough for them to continue watching figure skating, unless they are forced to do so, by me.
    I didn't want to answer it directly because

    They didn't seem keen on watching anymore figure skating. They might watch some to please me, but not of their own volition.

  6. #21
    Custom Title bekalc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,083
    I think part of the problem is the commentators don't explain the sport enough. Especially if its an American they don't explain the weaknesses. I think the audience is capable of accepting one mistake like Mao's if they mention Asada's qualities over Ashley, harder spins, harder footwork and better skating skills. But the commentators don't.

    I thought both scores were a bit high.

    I am going to say this, they should have shown V/T. BOTH programs. They didn't show them because they aren't Americans but great skating is great skating. And pairs when done right is the most spectacular of the disciplines. When done poorly its also the most horrific to watch.

    I'm not sure I love Jesus Christ Superstar program but those elements are amazing.


    If you have great skating-show it. I bet the casual fan would have liked that.

  7. #22
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,654
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    I think part of the problem is the commentators don't explain the sport enough. Especially if its an American they don't explain the weaknesses. I think the audience is capable of accepting one mistake like Mao's if they mention Asada's qualities over Ashley, harder spins, harder footwork and better skating skills. But the commentators don't.

    I thought both scores were a bit high.

    I am going to say this, they should have shown V/T. BOTH programs. They didn't show them because they aren't Americans but great skating is great skating. And pairs when done right is probably the most spectacular of the disciplines.

    I'm not sure I love Jesus Christ Superstar program but those elements are amazing.


    If you have great skating-show it.
    I agree... and as much as people want to blame Sandra and Scott - NBC seems to have NO desire to fix the problem. Ultimately whoever is in charge of the directing/decisions has decided that all commentators are supposed to do is bolster team USA, and not really educate on the new system.

  8. #23
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    I think part of the problem is the commentators don't explain the sport enough. Especially if its an American they don't explain the weaknesses. I think the audience is capable of accepting one mistake like Mao's if they mention Asada's qualities over Ashley, harder spins, harder footwork and better skating skills. But the commentators don't.

    I thought both scores were a bit high.

    I am going to say this, they should have shown V/T. BOTH programs. They didn't show them because they aren't Americans but great skating is great skating. And pairs when done right is the most spectacular of the disciplines. When done poorly its also the most horrific to watch.

    I'm not sure I love Jesus Christ Superstar program but those elements are amazing.


    If you have great skating-show it. I bet the casual fan would have liked that.
    You are correct about commentators not explaining the sport--my friends thought, and still do think, a fall="you're out". Therefore, they thought Ashley won, based solely on Mao's falling.

  9. #24
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    27,910
    Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    I didn't want to answer it directly because

    They didn't seem keen on watching anymore figure skating. They might watch some to please me, but not of their own volition.
    I hate to be a johnny-one-note, but IMHO everything keeps coming back to the CoP and the kind of program that it encourages and rewards. An example of a performance that, I believe, might make a casual viewer want to come back for more would be Michelle Kwan's Tosca LP at 2004 Nationals.

    (Let's see, I think I have it bookmarked here...Oh yes, 614,000 views, only 1000 or so mine.)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWQSoIEAxns

    Old warhorse music with no attempt at interpreting it, no particular choreography that I can make out, just a series of jumping passes and a footwork sequence. No triple-triple, no technical or artistic novelty. And yet, 600,000 people clicked on it (or 12,000 people 50 times each).

    Why? She did what she came to do. She landed her jumps. She put her heart on her sleeve, the audience in her back pocket, and she skated like the devil was chasing her.

    This CoP point-whoring has sucked the soul out of the sport. (Just my opinion, of course, YMMD )

  10. #25
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    This CoP point-whoring has sucked the soul out of the sport. (Just my opinion, of course, YMMD )
    Sad, but true.

  11. #26
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,654
    Kind of ironic that you say it sucked the soul out of sport and yet you talk of a program that is admitted void of choreography or soul.

  12. #27
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    27,910
    ^ No, no, I said the devil was after her. He didn't catch her.

  13. #28
    Custom Title bekalc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I hate to be a johnny-one-note, but IMHO everything keeps coming back to the CoP and the kind of program that it encourages and rewards. An example of a performance that, I believe, might make a casual viewer want to come back for more would be Michelle Kwan's Tosca LP at 2004 Nationals.

    (Let's see, I think I have it bookmarked here...Oh yes, 614,000 views, only 1000 or so mine.)

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWQSoIEAxns

    Old warhorse music with no attempt at interpreting it, no particular choreography that I can make out, just a series of jumping passes and a footwork sequence. No triple-triple, no technical or artistic novelty. And yet, 600,000 people clicked on it (or 12,000 people 50 times each).

    Why? She did what she came to do. She landed her jumps. She put her heart on her sleeve, the audience in her back pocket, and she skated like the devil was chasing her.

    This CoP point-whoring has sucked the soul out of the sport. (Just my opinion, of course, YMMD )
    Here's the thing though truly great skating is great skating. Kwan always had a fabulous connection with the audience. I think there have been programs under IJS that the public would like. For example, (I didn't care much for the Olympic music) but I suspect the casual fan would enjoy Kim's World long program. It was a fabulous skate. I showed it to my mother on youtube, and she was like wow!...

    I think Kostner's last two long programs as well. And Asada has had some great programs too.

    That's why I said V/T should have been shown.

    Truly great skating is truly great skating.

    I do think the lack of encouraging quality and clean skating is a problem. Errors aren't punished much but there's a balance between you fell once your out, and falling multiple times.

  14. #29
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    27,910
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    Here's the thing though truly great skating is great skating. Kwan always had a fabulous connection with the audience. I think there have been programs under IJS that the public would like. For example, (I didn't care much for the Olympic music) but I suspect the casual fan would enjoy Kim's World long program. It was a fabulous skate. I showed it to my mother on youtube, and she was like wow!...
    That's because it was a 6.0 program skated in the CoP era.

  15. #30
    Custom Title bekalc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,083
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    That's because it was a 6.0 program skated in the CoP era.
    I saw IJS stuff to it. My mom liked it because it looked effortless.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •