Do you agree with the Skating Lesson's views on Davis/White? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Do you agree with the Skating Lesson's views on Davis/White?

My grandfather got mad at me during the last Census (I worked in the Census office) because there was no place to check mark "American" when it asked for race. He didn't want to choose what color of skin (since Whites don't get to choose the "Cultural Background" that they identify with), just where he came from.

I like your Grandfather!

One thing about this country and a few others (such as Canada and Brazil) is that the concept of race is growing irrelevant because people who would never otherwise meet are meeting and forming families. What race are they? The human race; it's as simple as that. When I was in college quite some time ago, I was tempted to check the box for "Other," which may or may not still exist. I figured I was Jewish, which many people think of as nonwhite or at least not completely European. Tonto, I like your solution of just not filling in anything.

There's one place where race is still relevant, and it's in medicine. This is more a matter of DNA than of any other issue: certain illnesses are more prevalent in certain ethnic groups, and doctors need to be aware of things to look for, disorders to screen for, and treatments to use or avoid. An example: African American women seem to be succeptible to types of breast cancer that are harder to treat and must be addressed differently. Also, and this is still a matter for some concern, it's hard to find compatible tissue donors (bone marrow and so forth) for people of mixed race. Keep in mind that although there are more mixed-race people every day, they are of all different blends, so the genetic patterns are different. But as medical science becomes more adept at engineering these things, even that aspect of race will be less important.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I have hope! A friend of ours has a genetic kidney disease. His kidneys failed entirely when he was about 40. His wife donated a kidney to him. It worked! All not very surprising. Here's the shock: Dawn has type A blood and Mike has type O. Many surgeons would not do the surgery, but Providence Hospital did. Mike is still going with Dawn's kidney over 10 years later.

If such a huge mismatch can be overcome, perhaps there is a bit too much pickiness in typing going on. Perhaps this worked because Mike was young & otherwise healthy. In any case, it gives me hope.

That's wonderful to hear, Doris.

I remember reading about the daughter of a baseball player (can't remember who) who needed a marrow transplant and had lack of success because of her particular ethnic heritage. I think he was from Panama or Honduras and I can't remember where his wife was from. For some reason the workability of bone marrow has different requirements. But medical science will soon learn how to process the marrow so that it's more compatible, or will learn more about how to control host-graft rejection. Either way, tomorrow is going to be better than today.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I agree that in medical fields, it is all new different perspective. Doris, that was a great love story! Now they don't need to know what type of your blood is even going into surgery. They have broken down the blood components. I don't remember the name of that. They just give that broken down blood to anyone who needs blood transfusion.

However, what about "tell me something about yourself"? On any applications, people want to know something more about you. What do you tell them about gender? Tell them what gender you prefer and want to go with? Maybe having seperate public men's restrooms and women's restrooms is discrimination because to be sympathetic and supportive, some transgender man want to go to men's room and some transgender women want to go to women's room. It has already happened in elementary school in America! Also, as the politically correct "legitimate" media goes, some parents want to be totally neutral and fair for their kids. They don't tell their kids who they are, boy or girl. They want their kids to choose which gender they want to be when they grow up regardless. Last year, one of my friends saw a transgender woman in gym's locker room when she went to the toilet in women's locker room. He/She had make up, lipstick, and hair like a woman but with tight sport's pants showing obviously a man's thing between the legs and man's facial hair.

Is this "progress" or regress?:popcorn: Well, LGBT is expanding rapidly. I believe at first it was LG. Then LGBT. Now some people use LGBTQ. What if someone wants to be both genders?

TontoK, I don't think this is the same as race at all. Race is just a skin color. LGBT or LGBTQ is a behavior.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
In fact, I leave everything blank except for the number of people who live at my address... that seems sufficient to satisfy the Constitutional requirement to enumerate the people every 10 years. I do not answer any of the absurd questions about how many toilets our home has, or how many cars we drive and such as that.

that's a different census these days. for the 2010 Census they split the duties... the 2010 had 10 questions (far fewer than the first census!) then there was the ACS Census and that's the one that asks about lightbulbs and what not. I worked the office so I got to deal with all the complaining phonecalls so I got VERY familiar with the difference. BOTH are supposed to be "the law" that you must fill out, or you'll be prosecuted, but AFAIK no one has EVER been taken to court for refusing, they just have the legal right to harass you. And the ACS workers are extremely pushy/rude/threatening compared to the 10 year Census...

this was all done to get rid of the "long form" but I personally think that they found a loop hole in teh Constitutional Law and they go WAY too far into finding out personal information. It's ridiculous...

but shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I took an oath that for the next 70 years I wouldn't say anything negative about how we do things. if I gripe about it then I let the terrorists win.

Olympia - my gpa's pretty cool. He's nearing 90, so some things make him sound totally racist though LOL he still refers to Black people as "colored" - not that he has issues with other races, he doesn't, it's just that when he tries to tell people about my mom's best friend (who he adores) he wants to describe her and he never says "black" no matter how many times we tell him "Black" is okay to say now. It's just beyond him. Ha ha. My mom's bff LOVES him, though.

It's important to cut people slack about vocabulary when they're from a different era. I'm sure I'd enjoy your grandfather's company, and he'd certainly have exciting stories to tell.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It's important to cut people slack about vocabulary when they're from a different era. I'm sure I'd enjoy your grandfather's company, and he'd certainly have exciting stories to tell.

He definitely has stories... he's done a lot of different jobs in his time. Worked for a company that helped build parts for the Apollo rockets. Though he still plays coy with that information because they were sworn to secrecy back in the day. I keep telling him I'm pretty sure the time has passed, but he won't open his mouth too much about it.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
A man of integrity! Even when nobody's looking, he won't break a promise.

I'm pretty sure, though, that the "secrecy" oath or whatever has run out... I know with the Census we are sworn to 70 years (basically we can't discuss where or who we counted or who we worked with... or some of the stuff we discussed)...

I guess maybe it hasn't yet for him since my dad can remember when grandpa was working on the top secret stuff so... that'd give him another ten years to keep quiet... dang.

Yet when I tell him something like what I got dad for Christmas he blabs to everybody. What the heck?! :laugh:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
:slink: you could threaten him with coal in his stocking (or no Christmas presents, or maybe no Christmas pie)

See, there's where it's an advantage to be a good cook. I can't cook well at all, and so I can't threaten to withhold some taste treat.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The nice thing about baking is that the keys are to buy the best ingredients and follow a good recipe exactly. Measure very carefully. And everything comes out perfect. The only thing in sweets that requires a careful touch is pie crust, and that can be purchased in the grocery all rolled out for you, and it isn't bad at all.

Pumpkin pie is particularly easy, because the ingredients are completely standardized. Fruit pies are a little trickier - sometimes your favorite apples are more tart than other times. Taste to determine how much sugar.

But really, top notch desserts are a lot easier than top notch main dishes IMO.

My aunt had a friend who used to make this incredible plum tart. She learned from her mother, who came from somewhere around Trieste, where there was probably a lot of Austrian influence on pastry-making. The family has since moved away, but for my last birthday, a little box came in the mail with part of a plum tart all carefully wrapped for interstate mail travel. Mmmm! She uses butter in her pie crust. This is not expertise to which I can even aspire, I fear...but every good cook needs a devoted cheering section, and that's my function.

I will keep your tips in mind, however, Doris, and when I get bolder in the kitchen I will put them to use. The first good pie I make will be due mainly to your influence!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
The nice thing about baking is that the keys are to buy the best ingredients and follow a good recipe exactly. Measure very carefully. And everything comes out perfect. The only thing in sweets that requires a careful touch is pie crust, and that can be purchased in the grocery all rolled out for you, and it isn't bad at all.

Pumpkin pie is particularly easy, because the ingredients are completely standardized. Fruit pies are a little trickier - sometimes your favorite apples are more tart than other times. Taste to determine how much sugar.

But really, top notch desserts are a lot easier than top notch main dishes IMO.

I completely agree - baking is relaxing for me - cooking a main dish not as relaxing.

I completely agree - baking is relaxing for me - cooking a main dish not as relaxing.

I think that part of that surely must be the delectable aromas that baking creates!

It's funny; I buy cookbooks from time to time, and I almost never want a main dish cookbook. I get baking cookbooks or chocolate cookbooks even though I might not be advanced enough to prepare the dishes. So even just visually, baking seems to be more tempting than making a main dish.