Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Should Ashley skip the GPF

Custom Title

Should Ashley skip the GPF

I think she should skip it. It's not as prestigious as it once was. Can an athlete skip if they want? I think she should concentrate on improving her programs and resting up for the rest of the season.

We have seen over the years that toward the end of the season Ashley starts to run out of gas. I want her to take a small break and be fresh for Nationals and the Olympics.

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flying camel View Post
    I think she should skip it. It's not as prestigious as it once was. Can an athlete skip if they want? I think she should concentrate on improving her programs and resting up for the rest of the season.

We have seen over the years that toward the end of the season Ashley starts to run out of gas. I want her to take a small break and be fresh for Nationals and the Olympics.
    The ISU requires those who qualify for the GPF to compete, AFAIK. (Barring injury, of course.)

The up-sides are that Wagner and others have the opportunity to compete on another international stage (with the positive benefits thereof) -- and to earn significant prize money.

I don't think it's in Ashley's nature to back down from a challenge. She's not a pwetty pink pwincess that needs to be coddled.

Tripping on the Podium
    That would not be smart.

Custom Title
    The ISU requires those who qualify for the GPF to compete, AFAIK. (Barring injury, of course.)
    if she wants to skip the GPF she could certainly 'pull something' get some kind of 'illness'.

but it would be stupid of her, I don't see her winning an Olympic medal, so she should try to win an international comp. while she can.

Custom Title
    No Way! She should compete (assuming no injury)! Although she missed her three jump combo in the LP, this one looked better to me and another comp will help her continue to improve that, I think. Plus, it's Olympic season - she needs to prove she is a contender or continue to prove that. Plus, I want to see her

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    It's not in Ashley's nature to take the easy way out. She meets challenges head on and she still has improvements she can make this season before Nationals, particularly with her LP, which I only began to appreciate for the 1st time this season at Trophee Eric Bompard. I would think she wants one more opportunity in international competition to really sell her LP solidly to international judges and really make an exclamation statement prior to the Sochi Olympics. She's in that potential spoiler for an Olympic medal mix of skaters, which also includes Lipnitskaia, Suzuki, and Sotnikova. Obviously, Kim, Asada, and Kostner are the medal favorites if they deliver like they can. Wagner needs to continue to plug away and keep her name in the picture by continuing to build her reputation and positive momentum with clean skates and high levels and scores. I really wish her the best of luck! GO DIVA WAGNER!!

Banned
    Doubt she would. She has said in recent interviews that she thrives on getting more opportunities to compete. She certainly has not backed off of commitments such as shows or even events like Japan Open right before the Grand Prix season (though she didn't do a senior B).

I would doubt that there are 'expectations' for her to medal so if she did, that would be a bonus. Plus, being one of the few US or North American skaters who qualify for the Final won't harm her reputation any given all the endorsements she is expected to stand and deliver on

Custom Title
    Skip? Of course not! Even if ISU didn't have this rule, she should not skip it.

Custom Title
    That would make no sense because she is still building her campaign for a medal and every competition that she skates in gives her an opportunity to build her reputation and inch her PCS marks up.

No, if she wins there she'll get confidence which will propel her through the Nationals, Olympics, etc.

Custom Title
    Why on earth would she want to skip the GPF? Unless she's injured and needs the time to recuperate, I would say oh heck NO.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by flying camel View Post

Its not posible to skip the GPF unless you get injured or you'll get a suspension

anyways I agree Wagner gets worn out at the end of the season
    it wouldn't surprise me if she finih last thi GPF behind Pogorilaya , Ashley had a splatfest last GPF and had to take a skip in 4CC after a mediocre nationals performance on a good side, Wagner's typical running out of steam at the end of the season will be great for Gracie she'll finally beat Wagner at nationals

Banned
    Ashley wants to try and win the Grand Prix final after a disappointing 2nd place last year. She will be competing and going all out for the win, even with the odds really stacked against her with it being in Japan (and Mao would be the favorite even if it wasn't there). Although last year the hard fall on her hip that killed her chances of the title, was the turning point of her season IMO, and it followed with a disaesterous LP at Nationals, and cautious performances come Worlds.

I think Ashley is a lock for at least Bronze. S he should be and I hope a podium finish sets her up. It is still very prestigious. She is skating well-sadly I don't think her LP is on par with last two years. I doubt she'll beat Mao, tho clearly she has the whole package. If she does more clean triples, and has the PCS she deserves, they should give it to her. I love Mao, but her wins have often been rep judging.

She is a first tier skater. Will they really give Caro unfair PCS cuz it is her 3rd or 4th ? Olympics? YuNa is the ultimate CoP skater. Done deal. I don't want to see Mao or Caro held up at Olympics. I also do not agree a clean YuNa is always 20 points better than clean Mao. Vancouver shocked me. But like many, I am no scoring wonk.

I expect to see a clean Julia on podium in Sochi. even though I don't agree she is a great performer. So that leaves silver which I suspect will be Caro or Mao, likely Mao. So Ashley even if almost clean is looking at 4 or 5. 4 if Caro bombs. I think Caro will get pity points and overdue points if she stands up. But this year isn't her best for programs. None of the top ladies has a great program like last year. Ash should do Black Swan, Caro do Bolero. Chan was smart to keep Elegie, I wonder if it is too late to change anything?

I truly feel Gold has wrong LP and Johnny voiced my exact thoughts, written earlier in season. Since Grace will likely not medal unless she pulls a Sarah/Tara technically and they are forced to give her bronze, I'd like to see a new program. Grace is not going to GP right?

This is a building year for her, and she could medal at World's. I just want to see any, fast paced, dynamic program, with easier transitions and np pretense at balletic skating. Her SP shows what she can do-she has it all, except balletic or adagio style. It would be tough. They could redo her exhibition. Chacking her LP would be good since it's lousy and she can't skate to it, anyway. I was hoping her program would showcase speed, big jumps, fast spins. She is so unlikely to podium, it makes more sense to let her be grace. She will get second spot at nationals, as long as she delivers speed and jumps, and they really handicapped her in the LP.

I loved her costumes last year. Bright bold colors, the right glam. If there is one program that is all wrong, her LP is it. I cannot believe the genius Marina Zueva did this. It does not look like her work. She did a lot to showcase Goordeeva who had no jumps, and she did it well. Grace can do everything except be calm it seems, so while Kwan could handle a change midseason, I know this is asking a lot. If Hicks can do well with just jumps, Grace can make a much better cause for herself. I am upset she is not allowed to be herself. Wrong year for Sleeping Beauty. Not yet grace-maybe at 22. Even YuNa knows her limits as does Wilson. I am upset for Gracie and wonder what Frank Carroll thinks. OT I know but Grace could and should medal at worlds given an LP suited to her style and maturity. With mass retirements, she should be ready. This was really Zueva's work???

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast